It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

HIV Prevention Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-03-2011, 06:31 AM   #1
(male)

bws HB User
Is sore throat by itself an ARS symptom

At three to four weeks after possible exposure would a sore throat by itself be considered a symptom? No rash, no fever, no night sweats, just a sore throat that initially appeared several mornings when first waking up while swallowing saliva. Then progressed to all day while swallowing saliva. Started and remains somewhat mild. Lasted so far about one week. Also slight dry mouth.

Old 12-03-2011, 08:02 AM   #2
Facilitator
(male)

Apollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB User
Re: Is sore throat by itself an ARS symptom

You did not have a risk of HIV, you did not have an exposure, what do you not understand about that, do you read the replys?

"Being defeated is only a temporary condition; giving up is what makes it permanent".

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-03-2011, 08:09 AM   #3
(male)

bws HB User

Yes I read the replies. Leaving aside my other posts could you answer the question in this post? Thanks

Old 12-03-2011, 08:34 AM   #4
Facilitator
(male)

Apollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB User

If read and understood them, then their is no need to keep starting thread for a non issue, as you don't listen to the advise, just go and get yourself tested and get the peace of mind your looking for.

"Being defeated is only a temporary condition; giving up is what makes it permanent".

Old 12-03-2011, 05:10 PM   #5
Inactive
(male)

blokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB User

Buddy even if you had been exposed to an HIV infection, which you were not, trying to determine an HIV status online because you have a sore throat is impossible. Can you see and understand this ?It is literally impossible to tell you whether your sore throat as anything to do with HIV.

But given the fact that HIV is not transmitted from wet wipes, it is reasonable and actually logical to state, with a high level of confidence, your sore throat as nothing whatsoever to do with HIV.

Last edited by blokecalledkev; 12-03-2011 at 05:29 PM.

Old 12-04-2011, 04:31 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

smiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bws View Post
Yes I read the replies. Leaving aside my other posts could you answer the question in this post? Thanks
it could be possible,
but there is no way to prove or confirm it either way.

there is not any signifigance of it to proving anything
about the presence of hiv.
as you have heard before,
symptoms cannot be a determining factor in diagnosing hiv,
they are simply not reliable enough..
so what you are worried about is a waste of time

Old 12-04-2011, 05:46 AM   #7
(male)

bws HB User

Apollo123: " just go and get yourself tested and get the peace of mind your looking for."

I will get tested. I'm concerned about false positives with the rapid blood test. Is a confimatory western blot test done immediately with a positive rapid blood test? Or does it have to be sent to a lab and take several days for the WB results.

Old 12-04-2011, 07:58 AM   #8
Facilitator
(male)

To soon for WB. Well have a duo or elisa test.

Well you don't need to test fact, but your running the risk of a false positive by going down this road when you don't need to. In the end you will test negative and as a guy said on another thread after his 3 month test and months of posts just like yours, he said I cannot believe I've wasted 3 months of his life on something we all said he didn't need to test on.

Old 12-04-2011, 05:55 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

smiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB User

why don't you get tested and worry about the result
when you get it back.
not speculate about the result before the fact...
just like you are about symptoms...

Old 12-05-2011, 05:58 AM   #10
(male)

bws HB User

I have some testing questions. I don't want to deal with false posives. I appreciate you all reassuring me I have nothing to worry about. However for future reference and for anyone else interested who may not be comfortable posting on these boards I pose these questions.

1. Apollo says 4 weeks it is too early for a western blot confirm. When is the WB considered reliable. I know the elisa is conclusive at 12 weeks but very reliable at 6 and especially 8 weeks. Is there a period before 12 weeks when WB could be considered very reliable?

2. How likely are Elisa false positives. Is there a percentage?

3. Do rapid testing clinics have the ability to do the WB confirm right away or does the blood have to be sent to a lab?

Old 12-05-2011, 06:53 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bws View Post
I have some testing questions. I don't want to deal with false posives. I appreciate you all reassuring me I have nothing to worry about. However for future reference and for anyone else interested who may not be comfortable posting on these boards I pose these questions.

1. Apollo says 4 weeks it is too early for a western blot confirm. When is the WB considered reliable. I know the elisa is conclusive at 12 weeks but very reliable at 6 and especially 8 weeks. Is there a period before 12 weeks when WB could be considered very reliable?

6 weeks is considered to be accurate enough
for some certian places like the state of Massachusetts to call it conclusive.
most side with caution and call it 3 months.

i myself tested positive in one wb test
about 19 days from being infected.

2. How likely are Elisa false positives. Is there a percentage?

at 3 months i believe the tests are 99.7% accurate
that .3 % is for both false neg and pos

3. Do rapid testing clinics have the ability to do the WB confirm right away or does the blood have to be sent to a lab?
most likely the blood will have to be sent out.
there are only about a half dozen places that will do the testing
of the blood in the us

Closed Thread