It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

HIV Prevention Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-22-2012, 12:10 AM   #1
(male)

mthec HB User
Advice

Hi,

Thanks for taking the time to read this.
I am a healthy 33 year old male and around 12 years ago I had unprotected sex with a female classmate of unknown status. I'm ashamed to say that I was never tested. It was shortly after this that I met my wife.
Well we recently found out that she is pregnant and she was sent for a prenatal screening which included an HIV test. It wasn't until this that I started to think about that unprotected encounter with the girl from 12 years ago.
My wife and I are both quite healthy, never any flu symptoms or rashes or anything that I can recall in the last 12 years, and I know that I didn't get sick after being with the girl from school. We both get a couple of colds a year, but those are usually gone within a few days and never involve a fever or anything major.
We both have annual physicals that include all the standard tests (CBC with differential, blood chemistry panel, etc) and nothing has ever been abnormal. None of our annual physicals include HIV tests, although my wife had a negative HIV test in 2009, as part of a medical for school.
I guess I'm just trying to evaluate the risk, even though I know that's pretty much impossible to do. But wouldn't it be reasonable to think a CBC with differential would have shown some abnormalities after 11-12 years of living with untreated HIV?

Thanks.

Old 03-22-2012, 12:25 AM   #2
Inactive
(male)

blokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB User
Re: Advice

Had you been living with HIV for the last 11 to 12 years it is very likely you would either be seriously ill with AIDs or even dead by now. Yes your blood count could would be very different after this length of time ( but many people who have HIV have normal blood counts)but really there are no test other than an HIV test than can pinpoint HIV and I would advise you not to try and read into other tests what your status maybe.

It is very unlikely you contracted HIV from this episode so many years ago. HIV transmission from female to a male, although it does happen, it one of the hardest routes HIV as. Bite the bullet mate, have a test and collect what will almost certainly be a negative result. It is the only way to be absolutely certain.

And many congratulations to you and you wife on her pregnancy, hope all goes well for you.

Kevin.

Last edited by blokecalledkev; 03-22-2012 at 12:40 AM.

The Following User Says Thank You to blokecalledkev For This Useful Post:
mthec (03-22-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-22-2012, 12:45 AM   #3
Facilitator
(male)

Apollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB User

Im with kevin. Their is no chance you would have got this far in life without knowing your HIV status. Over 12 years your immune system would have declined to the point you would have been in hospitals to find the cause which would have no doudt lead to looking for HIV.

So please relax and enjoy your life as a family man

"Being defeated is only a temporary condition; giving up is what makes it permanent".

The Following User Says Thank You to Apollo123 For This Useful Post:
mthec (03-22-2012)
Old 03-22-2012, 06:20 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

smiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB User

move on and do not waste another moment worrying about it.
good luck

Closed Thread