It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

HIV Prevention Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-25-2012, 03:59 AM   #1
Inactive
(male)

MagneticGuy HB User
Update

I'm with a HIV positive partner. I got very ill in early December for a prolonged amount of time around 3 weeks, the rash(my gf stated look very similar to her seroconversion rash), severe muscle aches, diarrhea, fever, fatigue, etc. I tested negative Around Jan 20th and I tested again March 7. I'm assuming it was negative as I have not been contacted for any urgent follow up. However I was contacted regarding a follow up from my GP.

I've been having persisting Diarrhea, and was given a colonoscopy for it just the other week where the doctor diagnosed me with Acute ulcerative colitis. My brother and father both have Crohn's Disease. She normally would have suspected an infection however due to the longevity of my symptoms(very close to 4 months) she felt ulcerative colitis was the most likely culprit.

I'm also scheduled for a EMG due to some peripheral neuropathy I have been having for a long time. I was also on PEP due to a condom slippage. I've been off for about a month now my March 7th test was 6 weeks post that exposure. The peripheral neuropathy is fairly minor but it got a lot worse being on ARV's which are more commonly known to cause it.

Anyways HLA B27 is associated with slow HIV progression and it is in a high percentage of people with IBD or Crohn's Disease and ulcerative colitis. I also have this condition in which my lips peel dead skin it was triggered by a reaction to medicine. Psoriasis is associated with HLA B5701 and commonly people get drug incuded skin conditions who posseses this allele. This Human Leukocyte antigen(HLA) Class B Allele is also associated with slower HIV progression.

In fact in one study of elite controllers 60-70%(I forget the exact number off the top of my head) of them were found to have both HLA B27 and HLA B57 alleles.

Two years ago I had a bunch of tests done of one of them as a Natural Killer cell(NK) activity test. My result was high 350.3 with a normal range of 50-300. There was a study in Vietnam where non infected but highly exposed individuals posessed high Natural killer cell activity. NK cells are also different in people who are elite controllers. Researchersfound that the NK cells of elite controllers frequently express a unique cell surface protein or receptor that may regulate their function.

Given my health history and family history the odds of me having both of these HLA B class Alleles seems pretty high to me. Even if I became infected with HIV I would likely control it quite well without medicine.

I also read a case study where an elite controller had delayed seroconversion of HIV. I was tested with DUO tests certainly reducing the odds that happened with given the rarity of an elite controller.. I don't think I have HIV, it would be extremely unlikely but then again it wouldn't be impossible for me to end up HIV positive.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-25-2012, 07:02 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

smiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB User
Re: Update

self diagnosis is not good to do
you should leave it to the professionals.

contrary to your thoughts
you would not do well if you had hiv without taking meds for it.
your tests indicate you do not have hiv
so roll with it until you are told otherwise.
so good news so far for you.

Closed Thread