It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

HIV Prevention Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-01-2012, 06:26 AM   #1
(female)

Nonamel HB User
Worried about HIV

Hello everyone, I'm new to the board. I'm looking for some advice. In April of 2010 I dated a guy who I slept with a few (probably less than 10 times) unprotected. He assured me he had no STDs but I ended up getting herpes from him. I cut it off immediatley. In September 2010 I donated blood with no issue. Then, in December of 2011 I found out he was accused of raping two women. One before we dated and one after. Since then I have been terrified of HIV to the point where I check myself for symptoms daily. My question is, do you think this is just stress related? If I was HIV positive I would have been notified after donating blood, correct? Thanks in advance for any advice/support you can offer. Thank you!

Old 04-01-2012, 07:35 AM   #2
Inactive
(male)

blokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB User
Re: Worried about HIV

Ok please stop examining yourself daily. HIV is never self-diagnosed. The amount or lack of symptoms a person may or may not have will have no bearing on the outcome of an HIV test, which is the only way to determine an HIV status. All you are achieving by continually examining yourself and looking for tell-tale signs is to add to your stress and anxiety.

It is common practice for blood donors to screen for HIV but as to whether people are told is down that that particular service and their protocols. So although somebodies blood may well be rejected the person may or may not be notified.

If you want a definite answer about your HIV status, I really would advise you to drop into clinic and have a rapid test. The results will be available within 15 minutes. It is actually very unlikely he had HIV but in your situation it is better to be safe than sorry.

Kevin.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-01-2012, 07:39 AM   #3
(female)

Nonamel HB User

Thank you for your response, Kevin. The thing is, I recently contacted the blood bank and they said after my last donation I was not deferred for any reason and am welcome to donate blood again. That did put my mind at ease as it was a full 4 months after my possible exposure. It's just unsettling thinking that I was intimate with a criminal.

Old 04-01-2012, 07:44 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

smiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB User

you are correct in that they do screen all blood for hiv.
it would be highly unlikely that you have hiv.
i would suggest you get tested for hiv just for piece of mind purpose
and use it to put it totally behind you because you should not have these thoughts going on.
hiv will not hide from tests and suddenly appear from
nowhere years later.
i'm suprised when you got herpes you did not do a full
std screen at that time.
there are other things that are alot easier to catch
then hiv is that you should maybe be concerned about.
also stress will give you some of the same symptoms
that hiv will.
the symptoms of hiv are close to many different things
so its easy to get it confused with other stuff
when it is your primary focus.
you will be ok
Good luck

Old 04-01-2012, 07:47 AM   #5
Facilitator
(male)

Apollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB User

Hiya, symptom chasing is a complete waste of time as you cannot diagnose yourself on that basis. The fact you donated blood would indicate your negative but it appears you need to settle this for yourself for peace of mind.
You can take a rapid test that will give you results in 15 minutes, I would recommend one of those to satisfy your fears. If you from the uk you can have all the tests done free at a gum clinic or the us have plenty of walk in clinics where you can test.

Hope that helps

"Being defeated is only a temporary condition; giving up is what makes it permanent".

Old 04-01-2012, 07:49 AM   #6
(female)

Nonamel HB User

Thanks for your reply. When I was diagnosed with Herpes the doctor did a test but it was not a blood test. It was my primary OBGYN and he made it seem like Herpes is very easy to contract even when symptoms are not present. He did not mention getting tested for any other STD's but since then I've had non-blood tests at my annual gynecological exam and everything is fine. I also read that Herpes is contracted more easily when someone newly gets it, and at the time the guy told me that he thought he got it from his recent ex-girlfriend. When I told him I had been diagnosed with Herpes he was shocked and devastated which lead me to believe that he did get tested regularly. At least that part of the story seems to add up.

Old 04-01-2012, 07:50 AM   #7
(male)

onelovelove HB Useronelovelove HB User

So in September you donated blood which should be more than 3 months since your last sexual contact with him, therefore your blood should be able to show whether or not you are infected.
Since I don't know where you are living, I could not tell you whether or not they would notify you in case of any problems. But in my region, Hong Kong, the blood donation organizations would notify the donors for problematic blood to keep them from donating anymore.
For now, I think you could lower your stress a little bit by calling for their protocol. Even they say they don't notify, it does not mean you have HIV either. If they say yes, you could be relaxed a bit and wait to do one more test for confirmation.
Hope it helps.

Old 04-01-2012, 07:53 AM   #8
(female)

Nonamel HB User

Hello, I am in the US. I did contact the blood bank and they said that I was not deferred for any reason during my last visit and I am eligible to donate again. They also said "Testing is performed on a blood donation as long as the donation is successful, adequate blood is collected for testing and there are no preparation/manufacturing issues.
If there are any abnormal test results from the donation that impact a donor’s eligibility or their health, they are notified within 6-8 weeks by letter of this information." My only concern with that response is wondering if possibly my donation was not successful, adequate blood was not collected or potentially there was a preparation/manufacturing issue. I'm just afraid to take the test.

Old 04-01-2012, 07:59 AM   #9
(male)

onelovelove HB Useronelovelove HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonamel View Post
Hello, I am in the US. I did contact the blood bank and they said that I was not deferred for any reason during my last visit and I am eligible to donate again. They also said "Testing is performed on a blood donation as long as the donation is successful, adequate blood is collected for testing and there are no preparation/manufacturing issues.
If there are any abnormal test results from the donation that impact a donor’s eligibility or their health, they are notified within 6-8 weeks by letter of this information." My only concern with that response is wondering if possibly my donation was not successful, adequate blood was not collected or potentially there was a preparation/manufacturing issue. I'm just afraid to take the test.
Your response is normal.. When we are very afraid of something, we tend to think in the worst perspectives. I don't think it would be the cases that you mentioned above.

Old 04-01-2012, 08:10 AM   #10
Facilitator
(male)

Apollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB User

Then just a rapid test and be done with speculation?

"Being defeated is only a temporary condition; giving up is what makes it permanent".

Old 04-01-2012, 08:20 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(male)

smiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apollo123 View Post
Then just a rapid test and be done with speculation?
that why i suggested to get tested
after its over you will find out you created 2 things
a big deal over nothing
and
something that should be very easy
most difficult.

Old 04-01-2012, 01:37 PM   #12
Inactive
(male)

blokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB User

The advice from here is universal. If you are this concerned go for an HIV test and please stop speculating about blood donor services. Really, if you are this worried it is in your own interest to do so.

Kevin.

Old 05-02-2012, 05:26 PM   #13
(female)

Nonamel HB User

Hi everyone,

I really appreciate you answering my questions so far. I just have one more.

If I were starting to experience symptoms 2 years after my risky encounter, would frequent vaginal yeast infections, a persistent sore throat, fatigue and pain in the lymph nodes (no swelling) be something I should be concerned about? As you know I'm afraid to get tested so I'm not sure if this is just stress bringing on symptoms but it seems strange that I have some "common" symptoms of HIV (from what I've read). I have been taking my temperature daily and it's normal and I have no swelling in my lymph nodes. I'm just very concerned and I wish I could get in contact with the guy who I had my risky encounter with but that's not an option.

Any additional advice/insight you can provide would be great appreciated!

Last edited by Nonamel; 05-02-2012 at 05:32 PM.

Old 05-02-2012, 05:34 PM   #14
Inactive
(male)

HIV is never diagnosed by symptoms nor is an HIV status guessed at online. It is diagnosed one way and one way only, by an HIV test. Scared or not the only way to determine your HIV status is through an HIV test.

You should stop the self-diagnosing and self-examinations; you are simply prolonging your own anxiety. Have an HIV test and put an end the pointless speculation.

Kevin.

Last edited by blokecalledkev; 05-02-2012 at 05:35 PM.

Old 05-02-2012, 05:39 PM   #15
Facilitator
(male)

Like i said a month ago, just take a rapid test for YOUR peace of mind. If you were that concerned you would have tested by now for sure?

Closed Thread