It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

HIV Prevention Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-06-2012, 01:15 PM   #1
(male)

redphantom HB User
Known Exposure =(

Last Dec. I had a threesome with two guys I met at a party. I was in the middle. I came in the bottom after about 2 minutes and the top never came in me to my knowledge (he finished in the other guy). I kept in touch with one of the guys for another month. We played around, but never had anal sex again. There was mutual oral sex with precum. I came, but never had contact with his semen. The last week or so we met I noticed he had a body rash, but we still fooled around. At the end of February he called and said he had tested positive on January 23rd. I had 2 ora quick saliva tests exactly 7.5 weeks after my last contact with him. This was also 3 months since the threesome. About two weeks ago I developed a body rash with severe headaches. I went back to the Dr. and had a Syphilis test done along with another ora quick oral fluid test. These tests were exactly 3 months after my last contact and 4 months after the threesome. The HIV test was negative but unfortunately I did contract syphilis.

I am concerned because I have read that people with known exposure should test until 6 months. I have also read that more often than not, HIV is contracted with syphilis (or something to that effect).

Can I really trust these results? I find it incredibly hard to believe I have not contracted HIV as the risks were VERY VERY high as one (or both) of them were HIV+ compounded by the fact that I also contracted Syphilis from one of them.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-06-2012, 02:11 PM   #2
Inactive
(male)

blokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB User
Re: Known Exposure =(

Yes you had a high risk exposure but your tests are conclusive, you dodged the bullet and did not contract HIV. All HIV test are conclusive at 3 months regardless of the risk, so is yours. The only people that may be advised to test out beyond the window period are those who have had aggressive chemotherapy, been on anti-rejection drugs after an organ transplant, been on PEP or have been long term IV street drug users.

The fact you contracted syphilis as zero bearing on your HIV status. There was a study that went around about partners who wished to try to have children. One was negative and one was positive. This study concluded that people, who had HIV and had low viral loads, were under strict medical supervision and had no other STDs, could be able to have children and the other person not contract HIV. I am guessing this report has grown arms and legs and somebody as misread it and twisted it to say that if you contract a STD (in your case syphilis) you are more likely to contract HIV. You aren’t.

Buddy you got lucky here, really lucky. Many people have high risk exposures just like yours; some people do so for long periods of time and manage to walk away. Whether you find it hard to believe or not does not alter your status, it is negative. Trust your results buddy and please learn from this, sex may well be pleasurable but it short, HIV is not, it is for life.

Kevin.

Last edited by blokecalledkev; 04-06-2012 at 02:16 PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to blokecalledkev For This Useful Post:
redphantom (04-06-2012)
Old 04-06-2012, 02:20 PM   #3
Facilitator
(male)

Apollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB User

Your HIV negative and you don't need to test again, 6 months is out dated, 3 months is conclusive by the CDC guide lines. You should in the future use condoms as next time you may not be so lucky!!!

"Being defeated is only a temporary condition; giving up is what makes it permanent".

The Following User Says Thank You to Apollo123 For This Useful Post:
redphantom (04-06-2012)
Old 04-06-2012, 02:26 PM   #4
(male)

redphantom HB User

This event was entirely uncharacteristic of me... I'm typically a boring prude and when I'm not, I've been extremely safe. This extremely stupid thing wasn't even pleasurable. I was depressed about a longtime bf that had become an ex. I got wasted and just went with it... stupid stupid stupid.

The guy who told me he was positive said it was a new infection (obtained from bottom). I don't know if that's true or not, but if so his viral loads would have been extremely high during the month we were fooling around. I know I'm lucky... this is why I'm not really comforted by my results just yet.

Last edited by redphantom; 04-06-2012 at 02:27 PM.

Old 04-06-2012, 02:42 PM   #5
Inactive
(male)

blokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB User

You are correct people who are recently infected have very high viral loads and are very infectious.

Buddy you can beat yourself up from now to the end of time if you wish, it does not alter medical science, which determined your HIV status as negative. The same science determined the status of the guy you was with, as it as determined the HIV status of millions of people. It does not distinguish, it does not rely on luck and it does not take into account anybody’s feeling. It is black or white, positive or negative, there are no grey areas here.

Let this go now and chalk it up, please learn from it and don't push your luck like this in future. I would advise you strongly, if you are thinking of going down the road of doubting your results and keep on testing, not to. If you keep testing, outside of the window period, you run the real risk of eventually getting a false positive result. If this happens and I have seen it happen it can have devastating effects on people. Let it go now, you have tested out, and you dodged the bullet. It’s time to put it to bed.

Kevin.

Last edited by blokecalledkev; 04-06-2012 at 03:25 PM.

Old 04-24-2012, 11:57 AM   #6
(male)

redphantom HB User

well I'm back... After I got the penicillin shot for syphilis I started having muscle aches and diarrhea. That was about 2 weeks ago. Things started getting better but a few days ago I woke up with a sore throat. Now I've got a full blown cold and horrible body aches. I know the flu is going around, but this has also started to freak me out again.

I got to counting the days and while I thought I had tested at 3 months, it was really just 11 weeks. I know symptoms don't mean anything, but I had exposure to someone who was HIV poz, so I feel like I have a reason for concern. I read an article from bloomburg from 2008 that said the oral swab tests missed 10 cases of HIV that other tests caught. All of my tests were oral swabs and the 11 week thing is freaking me out. I don't want to over test like you said, but I want to be 100% sure. 97% isn't good enough for my brain.

Thanks for everyone's reply... you guys are awesome.

Old 04-24-2012, 12:00 PM   #7
(male)

redphantom HB User

I mean 11 weeks after the last contact. almost 4 months since the threesome.

Old 04-24-2012, 12:08 PM   #8
Facilitator
(male)

Apollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB User

Hiya. Thats an old article by todays standards. Todays test are so sensitive that false positives are quiet common, we have seen quiet a few on here. Well the volume of tests and your 11 week test ( as it is now ) still very much confirms your HIV negative although your 13 week test will be nothing than a formality.

"Being defeated is only a temporary condition; giving up is what makes it permanent".

Old 04-24-2012, 12:18 PM   #9
(male)

redphantom HB User

That's what I'm hoping. I guess I've just freaked myself out... especially since it was so very risky. There is no reason to expect that I would have delayed seroconversion, but I am curious to know if those who do experience it also experience delayed ARS symptoms... Anyone know?

Also, Apollo, your signature line is perfect!

Old 04-24-2012, 12:24 PM   #10
Inactive
(male)

I am going off the top of my head here but I believe I read the article or one similar. It refers to early detection rates of oral swaps and not later detection rates. Yes it is known and accepted that oral swabs are not as accurate as blood tests for early detection of HIV (as in 2 to 6 weeks, early). But for a later or confirmation test they are approved and as accurate as any other HIV test.

If you are concerned and you have absolutely no reason to be, simply have a blood test. You may have to wait a few weeks for the results but be assured the results will simply confirm what the oral swab has already confirmed.

Buddy an 11 week negative result from any HIV test is a good as golden. If you wish to take this to the wire, by all means do. You dodged the bullet here, you really did. Rather than keep worrying about this you should be out celebrating.

And please delayed serconversion is an urban myth, please don't it as been discussed to death here.

Kevin.

Last edited by blokecalledkev; 04-24-2012 at 12:32 PM.

Old 04-24-2012, 12:25 PM   #11
Facilitator
(male)

Delayed sero is more a myth then anything mate. 99% will test positive by 6 weeks, 95% by 4 weeks, so you can see its just not going to happen. Ive never know anyone test positive past 6 weeks, infact the people i know who tested positive all did by 4 weeks.
Also, stop talking about symptoms, they never mean anything If they did, every thread here would end up with a positive outcome, as it is, they dont thank god.

Old 04-24-2012, 12:40 PM   #12
(male)

redphantom HB User

I wondered about the timeframe because it didn't say at which week (or month) the tests had been taken.

I really don't want to take it to the wire... it's just that every time I'm almost able to put it behind me something bad happens to make me wonder.

I'm extremely grateful for the advice you guys give and the dedication you all have to answering these posts in such a quick way. Offering peace of mind to worried wells such as myself is a very noble thing. Cheers.

Old 04-24-2012, 12:55 PM   #13
Facilitator
(male)

No worry mate and thank you Really i would not worry

Old 04-24-2012, 02:23 PM   #14
Inactive
(male)

No problem, take it easy ok ? You really out of the woods here.

Kevin.

Closed Thread