It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

HIV Prevention Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-09-2012, 05:36 AM   #1
(male)

t567 HB User
HIV scare

Hi everyone. Sorry for the length of this. I'm a 17-year-old gay guy from the UK. I've only recently become sexually active a couple of months ago and have only had 'relations' with two other guys. The first was my first boyfriend. We had unprotected oral sex twice, once was mutual and the second time I only received. There was no ejaculation involved. We also had anal sex (the only time I've ever had anal) on the 17th February, using a condom. He's 18 and he says he's only had one other partner.

The second guy was a one time thing, which I regret but I was easily persuaded I suppose. I gave him oral sex and swallowed his semen immediately, which is kinda gross I know but I didn't know what to do with it. He was 22 and said that he has had unprotected anal with another guy but has been tested negative since.

About five days after oral with the second guy I developed a severe sore throat and swollen lymph nodes. Later that day I had vomiting so bad that I couldn't drink water because I just threw it back up and diarrhoea throughout the night. Both of these symptoms did not persist after this one night. I also got a mild fever and night sweats that night, which did persist for about a week.
Throughout the next week a got progressively more sick; I got bad muscle and joint pain, a productive cough that produced blood in the mucus sometimes, dizziness that caused me to pass out, bloodshot eyes, a non-itchy rash that came and went and a few more hard, non moveable swollen lymph nodes (on my neck only).

The first doctor didn't seem concerned and practically laughed at my suggestion of HIV without even asking if I had done anything risky. She blamed it on 'a common virus, probably flu'. Because of this I decided to take things into my own hands and go to a GUM clinic for a HIV test. The doctor said I was low risk but did it anyway. The result was negative at 40 days (nearly 6 weeks) after my first sexual encounter. I think this would be my only possible exposure because the second time was only receiving oral sex and symptoms developed too soon after the encounter with the other guy to be HIV, right? Could my HIV result change after this?

I visited a third GP last week, who wasn't sure but suspected glandular fever/mono and so ran some tests, which I'll get back next week. I didn't mention HIV to her because there's nothing she can really do except do tests and I've already done that.

I'm worried because although most of my symptoms have gone, I'm still a bit run down so have had symptoms for a total of 3 weeks now! The lymph nodes are my major concern because they are hard. I read somewhere that hard lymph nodes show that your immune system is fighting a losing battle!?

An informed opinion on this situation would be very much appreciated, as there is a lot of worrying and conflicting information on the net.

Thanks a bunch,
Tom.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-09-2012, 05:55 AM   #2
Facilitator
(male)

Apollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB User
Re: HIV scare

Hiya Tom, indeed their is a lot of information on this but really its quiet simple. HIV experts conclude oral sex is not a valid way of getting HIV and in their 30 years of experience they have not seen one realiable case of HIV from oral sex, and you can imagine how many billions of times this has happened. So you having HIV from this well im sure you can guess? The fact your 6 weeks test came back negative would certainly prove your HIV negative. Im sure you got tested for all std's? Yes?

I know your concerned about the symptoms but they are not HIV related or your test would have come back positive not to mention your zero risk factor.

So you have nothing to worry about

"Being defeated is only a temporary condition; giving up is what makes it permanent".

The Following User Says Thank You to Apollo123 For This Useful Post:
t567 (04-12-2012)
Old 04-12-2012, 04:55 AM   #3
(male)

t567 HB User

Hey, thanks a lot for your reply. Thing is though, when I was brushing my teeth this morning I noticed two small cuts on the side of my cheek. I'm not sure if they were there at the time, but could this change my risk? And yes, I got a full screening. I assume so anyway, they poked and swabbed me enough. I haven't got the other results back though, just the HIV and Syphilis. They want me to go back for a re-test though, just to be sure I guess.

Last edited by t567; 04-12-2012 at 05:06 AM.

Old 04-12-2012, 05:04 AM   #4
Facilitator
(male)

Apollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB User

None at all buddy. The only risk is if you had major dental work and open wounds. The cuts you talk about heal straight away and are not deep enough to have any concern, so your fine mate

"Being defeated is only a temporary condition; giving up is what makes it permanent".

Closed Thread