It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

HIV Prevention Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-29-2012, 10:24 AM   #1
(female)

rissie08 HB User
Exclamation Scared, pregnant, and waiting on Prenatal HIV results

Hi All,

I am 22 years old, married to a great guy with a second baby on the way. Since my last baby we have moved, and where I live now, HIV testing is mandatory for pregnant women. I have not been with anyone but my husband in 3 years, but before that (as an impulsive teen) I made some very stupid choices about unprotected sex.

I have never been tested, probably because it was never something at the forefront of my mind, and it was never recommended by a doctor...(been to doctor, got physicals, CBC's come back textbook every time, he thinks I am in great health) but now since I had my little boy I can't get it out of my mind...and now that I have been tested, I am literally losing my mind. I don't want to get out of bed, I don't want to do ANYTHING, and I can't seem to enjoy myself because this test is hanging over my head. I just keep imagining a positive result.

My blood was taken on the 20th, and today is the 29th...and while some people said when you are pregnant, you'd find out a pos result within a week...I still am scared, because some people say it can take up to 14 days...esp if they are doing additional testing.

I am really freaking out here, and having someone, anyone tell me their own experience would really help!

Old 04-29-2012, 03:12 PM   #2
Facilitator
(male)

Apollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB User
Re: Scared, pregnant, and waiting on Prenatal HIV results

The fact that your first baby was Bourne and you were negative and unless you had sex with anyone else then their is nothing to worry about. Also if you were positive it's very likley you would here about it within days.
Overall I cannot see what your concern is. It seems your fine

"Being defeated is only a temporary condition; giving up is what makes it permanent".

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-29-2012, 03:58 PM   #3
(female)

rissie08 HB User

I wasn't tested with my first, they have an opt in approach where I used to live, so I found out that they don't do an HIV test unless you specifically ask for it. Which I didn't. It was never a thought of mine till now, since the prenatal system is so different.

Old 04-29-2012, 10:08 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

joggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB User

No news is almost always good news as far as HIV testing is concerned. If you have a positive test the results are rushed to the doctor. Not sure where you live, but HIV is relatively rare in the heterosexual population (even rarer in teens) in the developed world. I understand how an HIV test can make you think you will be the exception, but that feeling is contrary to the facts of the situation. It is much harder to contract as you are imagining it. Probably only a handful of people with your history in the entire world catch HIV, and for those that do there are medications that allow them to live out their lifespans. Anyway, there is nothing you can do at this point other than to try to approach it as any other medical test (e.g. diabetes, cholesterol).

Last edited by joggen; 04-29-2012 at 10:09 PM.

Old 05-07-2012, 05:33 PM   #5
(female)

rissie08 HB User

Well it was two weeks ago on Friday, and today is Monday...my doc takes a no news is good news approach to test results...so I am beginning to assume all is well...if it was positive...I'd have heard before now I think!

Old 05-07-2012, 11:15 PM   #6
Facilitator
(male)

Apollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rissie08 View Post
Well it was two weeks ago on Friday, and today is Monday...my doc takes a no news is good news approach to test results...so I am beginning to assume all is well...if it was positive...I'd have heard before now I think!
I would certaily say that is the case, well it is in the UK. If i was you i would ring them and follow up the results.

"Being defeated is only a temporary condition; giving up is what makes it permanent".

Closed Thread