It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

HIV Prevention Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-02-2012, 08:19 PM   #1
(male)

ct3 HB User
terrified to get tested

Hi all...I'm 30 and never been tested for HIV. I've always practiced safer sex my entire life (usually oral, and anal twice both times with a condom. I've made out with someone who I found out later had HIV, although thankfully we did not have any sort of sex.) I know statistically the odds are much in my favour.

I recently I just met someone who's very important to me, so I know I have to get tested to put my mind at ease because I can't fathom any sort of chance, even very small, of putting him in any sort of danger. (My partner has been tested and is negative.)

There are clinics that offer free rapid testing but I'm just so terrified at the process...telling the person at the desk that I want an HIV test...and then getting tested...and the wait (even though it's not that long.) And, in the off chance, what happens if I really am positive? I wouldn't have the money to pay for the meds.

Ugh. I guess I just need to stop freaking out and accept that things are going to be okay.

Old 05-02-2012, 09:20 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

smiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB User
Re: terrified to get tested

Quote:
Originally Posted by ct3 View Post

Ugh. I guess I just need to stop freaking out and accept that things are going to be okay.
that about sums it up
the unknown is scarier then the known
at least you know what you are facing instead of
projecting on something that is unlikely to happen.
good luck

The Following User Says Thank You to smiteler For This Useful Post:
ct3 (05-03-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-02-2012, 11:23 PM   #3
Facilitator
(male)

Apollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB User

Ct, im not sure quiet what your asking mate. It appears that you always had safe sex and if thats the case you have nothing to fear about taking a HIV test.

"Being defeated is only a temporary condition; giving up is what makes it permanent".

The Following User Says Thank You to Apollo123 For This Useful Post:
ct3 (05-03-2012)
Old 05-03-2012, 01:00 AM   #4
Inactive
(male)

blokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB User

You have no reason to fear an HIV test, any more than you have any reason to fear any other medical tests. Buddy, having an HIV test does not give you HIV, it lets you know what you HIV status is, which in your case, given what you have posted will almost certainly be negative. You have been doing the correct thing; you have been practicing safe sex.

Most everybody gets pre-test jitters, it is normal and understandable. Don’t allow this to get in the way for you having a sexual health check-up. It is perfectly a perfectly normal and acceptable thing to do. In fact everybody who is sexually active should make a point of getting an annual check-up. From what you have posted this is long overdue for you.

Buddy, it is in your own interest here. Have the check up, get a clean slate and move on with your life.

Kevin.

The Following User Says Thank You to blokecalledkev For This Useful Post:
ct3 (05-03-2012)
Old 05-09-2012, 09:49 PM   #5
(male)

ct3 HB User

Thanks for your reassurance.

I went in today...it wasn't as scary as I had imagined. Got my negative result. Relieved.

The Following User Says Thank You to ct3 For This Useful Post:
Apollo123 (05-10-2012)
Old 05-10-2012, 12:11 AM   #6
Facilitator
(male)

Apollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB User

Hi mate, thats a very good post for others that may worry about taking a test, its not as bad as you think it will be. Thank you for coming back and giving us the update, good news of course

"Being defeated is only a temporary condition; giving up is what makes it permanent".

The Following User Says Thank You to Apollo123 For This Useful Post:
ct3 (05-10-2012)
Old 05-10-2012, 04:52 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

smiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB User

you handled it very good not letting your
imagination take over your thoughts and doing the right thing
going into a new relationship.
well done!
good luck

The Following User Says Thank You to smiteler For This Useful Post:
ct3 (05-10-2012)
Old 05-10-2012, 09:17 PM   #8
Inactive
(male)

blokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB User

Thanks for the update and well done for overcoming your fears. You now have a clean bill of health because you did the right thing. Keep practicing safer sex and try you keep on top of your sexual health, it really is in your own interest to have an annual check-up.

Kevin.

The Following User Says Thank You to blokecalledkev For This Useful Post:
ct3 (05-10-2012)
Closed Thread