It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

HIV Prevention Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-16-2012, 08:48 PM   #1
(female)

Helpme212 HB User
Worried about having HIV, possible symptoms?

Please help! I had protected sex with a man that I didn't know very well on March 23rd. I don’t know his health status. He performed oral sex on me, but I did not return the favor. He never ejaculated, but changed condoms due to him loosing an erection (or so he told me). I was a little sick with a cold shortly before this experience, and later was treated with antibiotics with flu like symptoms a few days after this experience (Not sure if it’s from him). 2 weeks later I began feeling symptoms of nausea, breast tenderness and shortness of breath, and was worried I was pregnant. When I got my period, I thought I was in the clear.
However a month after this experience, I have been feeling fatigue, loss of appetite, weak hands and legs, swollen joint pain, swollen lymph nodes in my neck, armpits, and chest (breast tenderness?) and soft stool (diarrhea?). I have tested for all STD's and everything came back negative. However I found out that I have Bacteria Vaginosis, which I was told was not an STD. I have tested for hiv 3 times, at 4 weeks, 5 weeks, and now recently 7 weeks with a rapid hiv finger ***** test. I know there is a window period, but I cannot see myself waiting another month to find out my health status. I feel so foolish for doing something so reckless.
My question for anyone: Is it likely for me to have hiv? Is it because I have BV? And why am I feeling this way when I was protected? I really appreciate any answers, I’m worried sick!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-16-2012, 11:57 PM   #2
Inactive
(male)

blokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB User
Re: Worried about having HIV, possible symptoms?

Given the fact you had protected sex it is extremely unlikely you have contracted HIV. The fact you received oral sex makes no difference. Salvia is not only non-infectious it actually contains enzymes and proteins that break down the very fragile HI virus. Your test results are not surprizing and you really have no need to test out for HIV over this incident.

The "official" window period for HIV is 12 weeks but with modern HIV tests almost all HIV infections are now detected between 2 to 6 weeks after being infected. The fact you were never at risk and have now had 3 negative HIV tests should give you more than enough confidence to accept that HIV is not your problem.

HIV is never diagnosed by symptoms nor can the reason for them be commented online. If they are of concern please see a doctor, given the fact you were never exposed to HIV, they certainly are not HIV related.

Kevin.

Last edited by blokecalledkev; 05-17-2012 at 12:01 AM.

The Following User Says Thank You to blokecalledkev For This Useful Post:
Helpme212 (05-17-2012)
Old 05-17-2012, 01:11 AM   #3
Facilitator
(male)

Apollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB User

Condoms when used correctly are 100% safe in the prevention of HIV, so you should have no conerns on that front. Oral sex has never been a valid risk of HIV so all in all you didnt you didnt need to test and your tests have proved this.

Your fine, you have nothing to worry about.

"Being defeated is only a temporary condition; giving up is what makes it permanent".

The following user gives a hug of support to Apollo123:
Helpme212 (05-17-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to Apollo123 For This Useful Post:
Helpme212 (05-17-2012)
Old 05-17-2012, 03:21 AM   #4
(female)

Helpme212 HB User

Thanks so much for your replies! Every response has been helpful!

I did seek medical attention from 2 doctors, however they both said that I am feeling this way physically due to a high level of anxiety. I have never had a history of anxiety, and I didn’t feel this way before this incident. I have now woken up to swollen lymph nodes, and visible swollen joints, and I doubt that is from anxiety. I also feel myself losing weight without trying (especially around the boney parts of my body: chin, shins, forearms, and elbows)

To make matters worse, I had a bad reaction to the medication they gave me for the Bacteria Vaginosis (Metronidazole or Flagyl), which I was told was a good indication that there is a possible infection, or virus in the body.

Do u think my tests were accurate enough at 7 weeks? And what other tests should I take (hiv, or others)?

Thanks again!

Old 05-17-2012, 03:37 AM   #5
Facilitator
(male)

Apollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB User

Hiya, as we said you were not at risk of HIV so the question of were the tests at 7 weeks is irrelevant. You could test for std's that is possible from oral sex and even from protected sex although rare. You could test for herpes if you want a complete sweep.

As for swollen nodes, i think thats very unlikley because if they were that swollen you would have rushed to the hospital by now, but none the less, if your feeling that unwell then you should always seek medical advice.

As for HIV, again all i can say is you didnt have a risk and a 7 week test is enough evidence to prove this.

"Being defeated is only a temporary condition; giving up is what makes it permanent".

Old 05-17-2012, 04:09 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

smiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB User

you might want to get checked out for other std's
you should not be concerned about hiv
you simply won't get infected in that manner..
good luck

The following user gives a hug of support to smiteler:
Helpme212 (05-17-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to smiteler For This Useful Post:
Helpme212 (05-17-2012)
Old 05-17-2012, 10:32 PM   #7
(female)

Helpme212 HB User

Well I did get a full std check, and everything came back negative, which is great....but because I feel all these symptoms everyday, especially the swollen joints and sore lymph nodes, my mind is not at ease. Do you know what other tests to take?

Thanks again for all the feedback!

Old 05-17-2012, 11:10 PM   #8
Facilitator
(male)

Their are no other tests from a sexual health point of view. Your next step is your doctor. No std will give you swollen joints and all nodes are sore when you prod them, they dont like being messed with.

Best of luck

Old 05-20-2012, 09:58 PM   #9
(female)

Helpme212 HB User

Hello again,

I just wanted to follow up with all of you. I recently got tested for HIV again at 8 weeks. The ELISA saliva test came back negative. However my heart rate was 126, which is way to high. She ordered that I should go to the hospital right away. I did a few tests, and everything came back negative!

I still have the same pain and weakness. I still have the shortness of breath from time to time as well. And like I said before, I never had these feelings before this encounter. Is this heart rate a sign of HIV? Still very worried.

Thanks in advance for your kindness and patients!

Old 05-21-2012, 12:07 AM   #10
Facilitator
(male)

You keep missing the point. You were NOT at risk of getting HIV and once again your negative test has proved this, its not rocket science is it?

As for your Rapid Heart beat and shortness of breath,their are two opitions on this.

1, Heart palpitations and SOB are classic anxiety symptoms

2, You could have a heart condition and that would most certainly need urgent attention

Im my opinion, i think your were having a panic attack before testing. Its time now to visit a doctor about your concerns incase their is a real illness here but your ignoring it with this fixation of HIV. So once and for all, you must understand, you were NOT at risk and your tests have proved this.

If your unwell or certainly your heart gives you concerns again, then you must get help asap.

Last edited by Apollo123; 05-21-2012 at 12:09 AM.

Closed Thread

Tags
hiv anxiety, hiv prevention, hiv risk, hiv scared help please