It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

HIV Prevention Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-23-2012, 01:20 AM   #1
(male)

John s1986 HB User
So scared I may have HIV had no sleep in days!!!

Hey,
Thanks for any feedback given.

I'm a 26 single male, that up to now has only had 2 unprocted sex encounters with longtime girlfreinds!! But week ago today i was on a stag doo and got so drunk I can hardly remember Anythin!! In my drunken state a black street walker offered me sex!! Never done anything like this ever before!! As we began I put the condom on and started to have sex after about 3-5 mins (not entiley sure) of not cumin she pulled away to give me oral but was to find the condom head had split!! I walked away still incredibly drunk and passed out on the bed, it was only as I sobered up I realised what had happend!! I'm so scared its tearing me apart I have just locked my self away cannot face anyone the more I read about it the more it's sounds possible I have it. I think I have swollen lympth nodes near my groin, tho cannot feel them all the time, or if they have always been there, i think they have a dull pain but dnt know if I'm just imaging them now!! Hate my self for what I done that night!!

Thanks for any advise that u can give, just really need to talk to someone about things as I'm driving my self mad on my own!!

John.

Old 06-23-2012, 01:53 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

joggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB User
Re: So scared I may have HIV had no sleep in days!!!

The odds are strongly in your favor. Even if we assume the worst about your CSW partner, the chance that she had HIV would be no higher than 1 in 10. If she had HIV, the chance of you catching it from a one time exposure would be no higher than 1 in 1000. This means that your chances of catching it would be no higher than (approximately) 1 in 10000, which means that the chances that you are fine are 99.99%. These numbers are illustrative only- don't take the actual numbers too seriously- the main point is that extremely unlikely that you would be infected. The vast majority of heterosexual cases of HIV are from repeated high risk exposures ( i.e. regular sex with a KNOWN infected partner). People do get infected in your situation but it is rare (maybe a handful of the 50k annual infection in the US), meaning the vast (i.e. overwhelming) majority in your situation do not get infected with HIV.

What should you do?

1. Understand that testing will be the only way you will ultimately know whether you were infected. Resist the temptation to diagnose yourself through lymph nodes, etc.- IT NEVER WORKS! HIV has no specific symptoms.

2. Have a 4th generation HIV test (e.g. DUO) at 4 weeks, or a 3rd generation test at 6 weeks, to give yourself a reliable indication of your status. Follow up with a confirmation test at 3 months. That's all you need to do. In the interim, resist the temptation to research HIV on the internet- it only makes people in your situation more anxious.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-23-2012, 02:09 AM   #3
Facilitator
(male)

Apollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB User

Hi John i can understand you concern and why your so scared. Be assured as Joggen has said that HIV is not an easy Virus to pass on and its very unlikley to be caught from a one time exposure, but that said it of course can happen.

As for symptoms, no point going down this road as you will from the sticky thread above. Just to say, HIV would not give you any symptoms this early anyway.

The only way forward is to test and you should follow the advise that Joggen has given you but until then the best thing you can do is stay away from googling HIV it will not help you and get busy with other things in your life to take your mind off this for now.

Fingers crossed you will be fine.

"Being defeated is only a temporary condition; giving up is what makes it permanent".

Old 06-23-2012, 03:45 AM   #4
Inactive
(male)

blokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB User

Hi,

On top of the excellent advice you have been given I would also advise you go and see a doctor today or as soon as you can. I advise this because you are clearly under a great deal of stress and anxiety which is having an adverse effect on your health. Along with the fact you are not sleeping well this can all add up and life can become pretty difficult.

Buddy, your risk here is actually on the low side. Your exposure was very brief and you don’t even know that she had HIV. From this point on there is nothing you can do to alter what you have done and nothing you can do to alter your HIV test results. But you can alter the time in between these periods and can make the wait far more comfortable than what it is now. A doctor is the person to speak, please be frank and open with him/her about your concerns and explain what effect it is having on you now.

Even if you don’t feel up to speaking to a professional health care worker I can assure you that you really need to hold it together here, calm down and try to get some rest from it all. Thinking HIV 24/7 is of no benefit to you, really. And even if you do keep thinking this way, it really is not going to alter anything, so please step back here and try to relax a bit. Beating yourself up daily and dwelling on what has happened will not make it not happen, please give yourself a break here, ok?

You will be surprised at how little your risk was and given this it is actually not likely that you have contacted HIV from this.

Kevin.

Last edited by blokecalledkev; 06-23-2012 at 03:48 AM.

Old 06-23-2012, 03:52 AM   #5
(male)

John s1986 HB User

Hi,
thanks joggen and appolo for quick and helpful feedback, very much appreacated,it's just nice to get it of my chest and talk to people about things. it's just so hard I keep thinking about the whole thing 24/7! I'm making myself Ill!! Is taking a test before hand pointless then? Is there nothing i can do but wait?!? as waiting another 3 weeks will be torture not knowing!

Thanks again

John

Old 06-23-2012, 04:03 AM   #6
Inactive
(male)

blokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB User

Hi,

There are no short cuts here I am afraid. Going from HIV negative to HIV positive (called seroconversion) takes time, on average 22 days. It is very important that you wait beyond this period for an accurate result from an HIV antibody test.

There is an alternative to this wait that is being marketed but I personally am against such measures. Tests that are called PCR tests can be taken earlier (between 10 to 20 day). These tests, commonly called viral load tests, look for the virus itself rather than the antibodies that are produced when somebody is infected with HIV. The down side to these tests are that they are super sensitive and can and often do return a positive result even though that person as not got HIV. They are also not approved for HIV diagnostics and any result from one of these must be confirmed by an HIV antibody test, which is the only test going that are approved for HIV diagnostics.

Rather than risk a false positive result from a PCR, I would advise you sit it out for a couple of weeks and test out as advised.

Kevin.

Last edited by blokecalledkev; 06-23-2012 at 04:06 AM.

The Following User Says Thank You to blokecalledkev For This Useful Post:
John s1986 (06-23-2012)
Old 06-23-2012, 04:14 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

joggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB User

If you do see a doctor, there is a possibility that he may order a DNA or (preferably) RNA PCR test, seeing how concerned you are. My personal advice is that is it is better to wait, and have a 4th generation test at 4 weeks, but it is understandable if you wanted to undergo such early testing. PCR tests are fairly accurate after a week post-exposure. If you do get a PCR test, try to get an RNA test- those are the only ones approved for diagnostic use.

If you get a PCR, you will still need to follow up with an antibody test at 3 months for confirmation.

Last edited by joggen; 06-23-2012 at 04:16 AM.

The Following User Says Thank You to joggen For This Useful Post:
John s1986 (06-23-2012)
Old 06-23-2012, 04:19 AM   #8
Facilitator
(male)

Apollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by John s1986 View Post
Hi,
thanks joggen and appolo for quick and helpful feedback, very much appreacated,it's just nice to get it of my chest and talk to people about things. it's just so hard I keep thinking about the whole thing 24/7! I'm making myself Ill!! Is taking a test before hand pointless then? Is there nothing i can do but wait?!? as waiting another 3 weeks will be torture not knowing!

Thanks again

John
As Kevin has said their are no short cuts to testing. Use this time to gather your thoughts and also follow kevins advice in maybe speaking to somone about your current mental state. Health boards has a anxity forum if you need to chat to others.

I agree with joggn, i would not go down the route of a PCR test, they are very expensive and we see false positives from time to time.

I know its sounds easy for us to post but we understand fully how you are feeling, so belive us when we say dont get into HIV 24 -7, to quote kevin, it will not help you. Really you need to either talk to somone or another forum here, or get busy doing other things, or you really will get HIV paranoia mate.

"Being defeated is only a temporary condition; giving up is what makes it permanent".

The Following User Says Thank You to Apollo123 For This Useful Post:
John s1986 (06-23-2012)
Old 06-23-2012, 04:31 AM   #9
(male)

John s1986 HB User

Thanks u are all right, I will try and relax abit, as u said there is nothing I can do now to alter the results. I will make a appointment with my doctor ASAP as it is causing me so much torment and sleepless nights!

As for the tests I will hold out for the antibody test.

Thanks so much again u have all been more than helpful.

I will keep u updated.

John.

Old 06-25-2012, 09:50 AM   #10
(male)

John s1986 HB User

Sorry, tried my hardest but still so scared!! Im now getting more symptoms!! Starting to get a really dull ache in my arm, neck and groin!!! I know everybody say not to self diagnose but how can I not?!? I've never had these things b4 now!!! And every where i read says these are the first signs of hiv!! I Made appointment to see my doctor 2moro as im becoming a mess!! but I dnt know if I can go through with testing I just wanna break down and cry all the time!!!! I read all the story's on here and everybodys so brave to get tested!

John

Old 06-25-2012, 10:55 AM   #11
Facilitator
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by John s1986 View Post
Sorry, tried my hardest but still so scared!! Im now getting more symptoms!! Starting to get a really dull ache in my arm, neck and groin!!! I know everybody say not to self diagnose but how can I not?!? I've never had these things b4 now!!! And every where i read says these are the first signs of hiv!! I Made appointment to see my doctor 2moro as im becoming a mess!! but I dnt know if I can go through with testing I just wanna break down and cry all the time!!!! I read all the story's on here and everybodys so brave to get tested!

John
John you need to calm down because you are going to become quite ill with stress.

Look, you are telling me you have never had a ache or pain in your arm,groin or neck, come off it mate of course you have or you would be a walking miricle lol. Besides they are not symptoms are ARS because HIV dose not have typical symptoms and as i have said before its all to early to get any symptoms and these so called symptoms are more common in thousands of other things.

As you have been told, stop reading about HIV, its not helping you is it? Not to mention their is more rubbish out their than i care for.

John, you have to take a deep breath and calm down a little. I know your scared but you would be very unlucky indeed to get HIV from a one time exposure and i mean unlucky, so try and think positive thoughts ( no pun intended )

Old 06-25-2012, 11:39 AM   #12
(male)

John s1986 HB User

Sorry once again, I just don't know where my head is at, I know your right, and I am causing my self to stress out and panic!!!! I'm just going through so much emotions at the moment,

But Actually think it has just hit me, just been reading about children that have been born with it and others dealing with hiv and just reading about there perspective of life!! Just shows how ignorant I was before all of this I actually knew nothing of HIV and it takes something like this to educate me. What ever the outcome I I will deal with it.

I would just like to thank all of the support all of u and this website gives, you are all truly amazing people.

I will post my 4week results, but will not b back updating any more poxy online symptons lol!!

Thanks again for putting up with me.

Godbless
John.

Old 06-25-2012, 11:44 AM   #13
Facilitator
(male)

LOL. In a way im glad you feel like that because with a strong mindset you will get past the weeks with ease, or certainly easyer than worry and stress.

We know its scary and the emotions run wild, but experince has shown that dosnt help you, so somtimes a direct responce kicks you mind back into reality.

We cannot change whats happen's so lets keeps all the fingers crossed for you buds. We will be here if you need the support or advise mate, just stop worrying about symptoms

Old 06-25-2012, 11:48 AM   #14
Inactive
(male)

Buddy, you really need to stop reading about HIV online and trying to put every little ache and pain down to it.

Here is a list for you. You will recognise the many of the symptoms.

Allergy problems, increase in allergies (number, sensitivity, reactions, lengthier reactions)
Back pain, stiffness, tension, pressure, soreness, spasms, immobility in the back or back muscles
Blanching (looking pale, loss of colour in the face or skin)
Blushing, turning red, flushed face, flushed skin, blushing, red face or skin
Body aches, parts of or your entire body feels sore and achy, feels like your body and muscles are bruised
Body jolts, body zaps, electric jolt feeling in body, intense body tremor or “body shake”
Body temperature increase or decrease, change in body temperature
Burning skin, itchy, “crawly,” *****ly or other skin sensations, skin sensitivity, numbness on the skin
Burning skin sensation on the face, neck, ears, scalp, or shoulders
Buzzing sensation in the feet, toes, hands, fingers, arms, legs
Chest pain, chest tightness
Choking
Chronic Fatigue, exhaustion, super tired, worn out
Clumsiness, feeling clumsy, co-ordination problems with the limbs or body
Cold chills, feeling cold
Craving sugar, sweets, chocolate, usual craving for sugar and sweets
Difficulty speaking, moving mouth, talking, co-ordination problems with the mouth or tongue
Dizziness, feeling lightheaded
Dizzy, feeling dizzy
Electric shock feeling, body zaps
Excess of energy, you feel you can’t relax
Falling sensation, feel like you are falling or dropping even though you aren't
Feel like you are going to pass out or faint
Feeling cold or chilled
Feel wrong, different, foreign, odd, or strange
Flu-like symptoms, general malaise, feel ill, like you are coming down with flu
Flushed face, red face, flushed skin
Frequent urination
Hair loss, hair is thinning, or clumps of hair are falling out
Head Zaps
Heart palpitations, racing heart
Hyperactivity, excess energy, nervous energy
Increased or decreased sex drive
Infection - increased infections, persistent infection
Mouth or throat clicking or grating sound/noise when you move your mouth or jaw, such as when talking
Muscles that vibrate, jitter, tremor, or shake when used
Muscle twitching
Nausea
Nausea vomiting
Neck, back, shoulder pain, tightness/stiffness
Night sweats, waking up in a sweat, profusely sweating at night
No energy, feeling lethargic, tired
Numbness
Numbness tingling, numbness and tingling
Numbness and tingling, and other skin sensations on hands, feet, face, head, or any other places on the body
Persistent muscle tension, stiffness
Pounding heart, heart feels like it is beating too hard
Pulsing or throbbing muscles. Pulsing or throbbing sensation.
Red skin, skin looks like or is turning red
Rib or rib cage tightness, pressure, or feeling like a tight band around the rib cage
Sexual Dysfunction, sexual uninterest
Shooting pains, stabbing pains, and odd pressures in the neck, head, or face
Shooting pains in the face
Shooting pains in the scalp or head
Skipped heart beats
Sore or tight scalp or back of the neck
Startle easily
Sweating, uncontrollable profuse sweating
The floor feels like it is moving either down or up for no reason
Tightness in the ribs or rib cage area, may also feel like a tight band around the ribs or rib cage area.
Tingling sensations, anywhere on the body, including the hands, feet, legs, arms, head, mouth, chest, groin area
Throat or mouth clicking or grating sound/noise when you move your mouth or jaw, such as when talking
TMJ
Trembling, shaking, tremors
Twitching
Unsteadiness, dizziness, feeling dizzy or lightheaded
Urgency to urinate, frequent urination, sudden urges to go to the washroom (similar to urinary tract or prostate infection symptoms)
Warm spells
Weak - feel weak, weakness, low energy, light, soft, like you may faint
Weak legs, arms, or muscles
Weight loss, weight gain

Some of this list looks very similar to the symptoms of a primary HIV infection doesn't it?

It is a list of the physical symptoms of stress and anxiety. Please calm down ok?

Kevin.

Last edited by blokecalledkev; 06-25-2012 at 12:03 PM.

Old 07-30-2012, 10:53 AM   #15
(male)

John s1986 HB User

Hey,

Just an update, so I decided to wait til my 6week test (hardest 6 weeks ever) got my results back and NEGATiVE such a relive, I know I have to wait another 6 weeks for confirming but how accurate are the result at this stage?

You were completely right about the symptons tho as soon as I forbidded myself to research HIV 24/7 amazingly enough I felt much better, so anyone reading this listen to these guys they know what there talking about u really can convince yourself u have it I actually made my self sick because of it!!!

It has really openend my eyes about things,

Thanks again to all of you and this website you have help me and so many others thru such hard times. I can't express enough my gratitude.
Godbless

John.

Closed Thread