It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

HIV Prevention Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-02-2012, 06:20 AM   #1
(male)

bjn201 HB User
HELP - high risk mistake need some clearing up

Hello,

around 10 days ago I drunkenly did insertive anal with a man. I know it is a high risk activity and i DO plan on getting tested asap.

My question here is how long do symptoms take to come into effect and how long until the testing could be effective? and what should i do till then? sweat and wait!?!

I am so stressed about it and im also concerned that the stress is bringing on the symptoms! i already have a kinda sore mouth and tiredness (however I am travelling so that could be that) and am worried.

So if someone could give me some support on the above would be so helpful - i am NOT scared for my life if i have HIV i am scared that I wont be able to find a partner and have kids cause of this one drunken mistake if im positive

THANKS!!!!

Old 07-02-2012, 06:31 AM   #2
Facilitator
(male)

Apollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB User
Re: HELP - high risk mistake need some clearing up

Well their is no point even talking about symptoms as HIV dosnt have any specific ones. Infact some get HIV and having nothing at all, others get so ill they go into hospital. The problem with symptom chasing it dose nothing than create unwelcome anxitity and focus on yourself when you should get busy taking your mind off your exposure.

The only thing to talk about is testing. 4 weeks with a 4th generation test, 6 weeks with any test and 3 months to be conclusive. You should test for all std's at either 4 or 6 weeks.

Its unlikley he has HIV and its unlikley you would get HIV from a one time exposure, but that said only testing can confirm your status.

Hope that helps

"Being defeated is only a temporary condition; giving up is what makes it permanent".

Last edited by Apollo123; 07-02-2012 at 06:32 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-02-2012, 12:37 PM   #3
Inactive
(male)

blokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB User

Hi,

Buddy, HIV is never diagnosed by symptoms and the very worst thing you or anybody else should do is try and attempt you do so. The so called listed symptoms of a primary HIV infection mirror so many common ailments that everybody gets from time to time it is pointless trying to attach any value to any for them.

You did put yourself at risk here and should test at 6 weeks and have result confirmed at 12 weeks. In the meantime please don't start putting every little thing that happens to you down to HIV, it is unlikely to be. All you will achieve if you do so is add to your stress and anxiety, making matters far worse than what they are.

Kevin.

Old 07-03-2012, 01:14 AM   #4
(male)

bjn201 HB User

Thanks for your support both of you,

I am travelling round the world right now, and I will be passing through the US where I would to get tested.

Do you guys know if testing is free, how it works/costs/how long etc for the US specifically?

thanks

The following user gives a hug of support to bjn201:
ScaredSick32 (07-03-2012)
Old 07-03-2012, 01:20 AM   #5
Inactive
(male)

blokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB User

Sorry buddy, no idea I am from the UK. Please let us know how you get on.

Kevin.

Old 07-03-2012, 01:40 AM   #6
(male)

ScaredSick32 HB User

I had a full STD screening including HIV test a couple weeks ago and it cost $160. I hope everything works out for you.

Old 07-03-2012, 01:45 AM   #7
Facilitator
(male)

Apollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjn201 View Post
Thanks for your support both of you,

I am travelling round the world right now, and I will be passing through the US where I would to get tested.

Do you guys know if testing is free, how it works/costs/how long etc for the US specifically?

thanks
Their is the AIDS help line in the US who will can tell you where their are free testing centres. The US has plenty of them

"Being defeated is only a temporary condition; giving up is what makes it permanent".

Old 07-18-2012, 09:41 PM   #8
(male)

bjn201 HB User

Hey everybody.

I know its too early to tell but I got a rapid hiv test at 3 weeks (clearview) which tested negative.
I KNOW this test is only accurate after 6 weeks, but surely there is some kind of probability that it could be accurate, im looking for anything over 50% probability just to feel better. ?

Ive had a sore neck and felt very tired the last 3 weeks... please could someone help me put my mind at rest, I know i will still get tested at 6 weeks then 3 months but i just want to know if probability is on my side thats all...

So I did insertive anal for about 5 minutes and did not ejaculate inside and am circumcised... one time exposure... are the chances low? (not as an excuse to not get tested just need to know!)

Also will people please not say still get tested etc cause i will!!!

thanks!

Old 07-18-2012, 09:55 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

joggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB User

Your rapid test would be about 75% accurate. This means it is about 4 times less likely that you contracted HIV from your exposure. When you take the test at 6 weeks, which is 99% accurate it will be about one hundred times less likely that you contracted HIV from your exposure. Thus, the 6 week test will be much more meaningful.

Your original likelihood of catching HIV is probably in the neighborhood of 1 in a few thousand (mainly because you haven't confirmed that your partner was positive). So after 6 weeks, a negative means your chances of having HIV are approximately 1 in a few hundreds of thousands, about the same as the chance of a catastrophic meteor collision with earth in your lifetime.

Bottom line: a negative is always good news, but wait until at least 6 weeks until your next test.

EDIT: If you have access to a 4th generation (DUO) test, you can test at 4 weeks, and it will drop the odds to close to zero.

Last edited by joggen; 07-18-2012 at 09:57 PM.

Old 07-18-2012, 09:59 PM   #10
(male)

bjn201 HB User

thank you for that, I study maths at university so probabilities make me feel more relieved! how did you come about these figures out of interest?

thanks

Old 07-18-2012, 10:05 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(male)

joggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB User

Risk to a a top if the partner is positive: 1 in 500

Chance that your partner had HIV: 1 in 5

Multiplying the above yields 1 in 2500

Chance that your 3 week test was falsely negative: 1 in 4

Multiplying the above yields 1 in 10,000

Chance that a 6 week test is falsely negative: 1 in 100

Multiplying the above yields 1 in 250,000

Old 07-18-2012, 10:11 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(male)

These are all guesstimates/approximations: don't take the numbers themselves too seriously. The main point is to illustrate how the test results lower your probability of infection.

Old 07-18-2012, 10:20 PM   #13
(male)

bjn201 HB User

thank you, I was more interested in the sources of your statistics, especially for the test probabilities?

Of course all estimates are to be taken with a pinch of salt.

thanks

Old 07-18-2012, 10:28 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(male)

The primary sources are from the Dr. H's on the other forum. Dr. HHH in particular uses these statistics. Google him and you will find his threads.

Closed Thread

Tags
anal, hiv, insertive, stress, symptoms