It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

HIV Prevention Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-14-2012, 01:08 PM   #1
(male)

richard75 HB User
My HIV Scare

Hey there, I'm new to the forum and would like some sort of advice. Ive had a pretty poor start to the year 2012, I thought at the begining of the year I had cancer as found a lump. Turns out after a scan all I have is epidermal cyst, so to prevent them from becoming infect my GP but me on Trimeoprim (200 mg) take one twice a day. So I was on these antibiotics for about 3 months, would this have affect my immune system? I was told to stop taking them when I first went to the clinic as they didn't see why I was really on them to help cysts. Have been getting very stressed balancing between university and work.

So that's my background of my health problems. I let my guard down and decided to meet a girl I had been talking to for about a month. Basically I was stupid too many beers and had my first unprotected sex (Monday 9th April).

In a panic of never having unprotected sex and with a white female I told her I was paranode about the situation her response was that she was clean and would take the morning after pill. After that she pretty much pushed me away and made my worry increase so I went to get tested 2 weeks later (24th, 15 days after) at my local GUM clinic where there tested me for sti's and hiv, all came back negative. I was classed as a low risk as was once with a white female, for hiv.

After that a few weeks (2-4) where I read early ARS symptoms show later I started to get some unusal symptoms, night sweats, sore throat, mouth ulcers, glands in my neck where up, waking up in the night, white tongue (metalic taste), weight loss, appetite loss, headaches, eye floaters, tiredness etc.

So in a panic I went to my GP told him my story and he said it was anxiety and gave me propranolol, an that he would not follow symptoms until the 12 week window period is up.

I got a 4 week (9th may, 30days after) test and a swab all came back negative. The clinic was nice enough to give me a 6 week as I was very anxious (21st May 42 days) test, also telling me was 95% accurate and most hiv would show up and in his opinion has not seen a 6 week turn positive and is indicative of a 12 week but there are rare occasions so feel free to get a retest but was optional.

I got my 12 week hiv test done (4th July, 86 days after) and was negative does this mean I can close the book on this situation? I was told it was a fourth duo generation test used. Can I rule hiv out the equation?

The only symptoms I have today is fatigue still, no appetite, lymph nodes are swollen, neck and groin, Swollen salivary glands, white tongue. Feels like my body is trying to fight something. My GP has told me to ignore my symptoms an put me on citalopram for 2 months as in his eyes my tests are coming back negative he did a few blood tests and found nothing.

Any ideas of what I should do next? Further councelling?

Last edited by richard75; 07-14-2012 at 01:20 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-14-2012, 01:28 PM   #2
Facilitator
(male)

Apollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB User
Re: My HIV Scare

Hiya and welcome to hb. I will keep this short, your final test is conclusive your HIV negative and you don't need to test again. What ever is wrong with you is not HIV related so please don't worry about. Keep working with your doctor.

Hope that helps mate

"Being defeated is only a temporary condition; giving up is what makes it permanent".

Old 07-14-2012, 01:28 PM   #3
(male)

panicover94 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard200705 View Post
Hey there, I'm new to the forum and would like some sort of advice. Ive had a pretty poor start to the year 2012, I thought at the begining of the year I had cancer as found a lump. Turns out after a scan all I have is epidermal cyst, so to prevent them from becoming infect my GP but me on Trimeoprim (200 mg) take one twice a day. So I was on these antibiotics for about 3 months, would this have affect my immune system? I was told to stop taking them when I first went to the clinic as they didn't see why I was really on them to help cysts. Have been getting very stressed balancing between university and work.

So that's my background of my health problems. I let my guard down and decided to meet a girl I had been talking to for about a month. Basically I was stupid too many beers and had my first unprotected sex (Monday 9th April).

In a panic of never having unprotected sex and with a white female I told her I was paranode about the situation her response was that she was clean and would take the morning after pill. After that she pretty much pushed me away and made my worry increase so I went to get tested 2 weeks later (24th, 15 days after) at my local GUM clinic where there tested me for sti's and hiv, all came back negative. I was classed as a low risk as was once with a white female, for hiv.

After that a few weeks (2-4) where I read early ARS symptoms show later I started to get some unusal symptoms, night sweats, sore throat, mouth ulcers, glands in my neck where up, waking up in the night, white tongue (metalic taste), weight loss, appetite loss, headaches, eye floaters, tiredness etc.

So in a panic I went to my GP told him my story and he said it was anxiety and gave me propranolol, an that he would not follow symptoms until the 12 week window period is up.

I got a 4 week (9th may, 30days after) test and a swab all came back negative. The clinic was nice enough to give me a 6 week as I was very anxious (21st May 42 days) test, also telling me was 95% accurate and most hiv would show up and in his opinion has not seen a 6 week turn positive and is indicative of a 12 week but there are rare occasions so feel free to get a retest but was optional.

I got my 12 week hiv test done (4th July, 86 days after) and was negative does this mean I can close the book on this situation? I was told it was a fourth duo generation test used. Can I rule hiv out the equation?

The only symptoms I have today is fatigue still, no appetite, lymph nodes are swollen, neck and groin, Swollen salivary glands, white tongue. Feels like my body is trying to fight something. My GP has told me to ignore my symptoms an put me on citalopram for 2 months as in his eyes my tests are coming back negative he did a few blood tests and found nothing.

Any HIV test is conclusive at 12 weeks. 3rd Gen or 4th Gen. HIV can be ruled out congratulations!

Old 07-14-2012, 03:17 PM   #4
Inactive
(male)

blokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB User

Quote:

Hi,

Yes you can close the books on this, you do not have HIV and given your extremely low risk it was unlikely you were exposed to HIV. Nothing as in absolutely nothing you have posted about your ailments are in anyway symptomatic of an HIV infection. HIV has been unequivocally ruled out.

What should you do next?

Put it all to bed, stop worrying and get on with your life.

Kevin.

Last edited by blokecalledkev; 07-14-2012 at 03:19 PM.

Old 07-15-2012, 03:14 PM   #5
(male)

richard75 HB User

thanks all for the response it was nice to hear something back, I guess what I was worried about was incase my antibiotics have affect my immune system making it hard to produce antibodies but the again mine where for bacteria. Very hard to put things to bed when your you think you have something etc . My GP has done a blood test for a few things and found nothing.

Old 07-15-2012, 04:34 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

smiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB User

move on and find something more logical to focus on.
you should not have any hiv concerns after all of your testing.
good luck

Old 07-16-2012, 03:20 AM   #7
Inactive
(male)

blokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB User

Quote:
thanks all for the response it was nice to hear something back, I guess what I was worried about was incase my antibiotics have affect my immune system making it hard to produce antibodies but the again mine where for bacteria. Very hard to put things to bed when your you think you have something etc . My GP has done a blood test for a few things and found nothing.
Hi,

Buddy you may well have a medical concern but it is not related to an HIV infection, you have been tested conclusively negative, it has been unequivocally ruled out. Your medication will have zero bearing on the test results.

You should work with the doctor and focus your attention elsewhere; HIV is not an issue for you.

Kevin.

Old 07-16-2012, 08:13 AM   #8
(male)

richard75 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by blokecalledkev View Post
Hi,

Buddy you may well have a medical concern but it is not related to an HIV infection, you have been tested conclusively negative, it has been unequivocally ruled out. Your medication will have zero bearing on the test results.

You should work with the doctor and focus your attention elsewhere; HIV is not an issue for you.

Kevin.
Hey Kevin thankyou for the reply, I went back to my GP last Friday told him how I felt glands are still up, no appetite etc, he basically said results are coming back negative so it's nothing serious just try to relax and symptoms shall go in time.

Old 07-18-2012, 02:15 AM   #9
(male)

richard75 HB User
Question Re: My HIV Scare

Hi there just an update on my health, so as you all know I got my negative hiv result back. I wanted to know what the clinic had done to inform my GP, I had a penile swab done two weeks after the intercourse for Gonorrhea, which was negative, I did have a really bad sore throat and read that it can be passed my deep kissing as it was none oral intercourse. I hada urine sample as well for chlamydia two weeks later negative. As well as my final hiv and syphilis both blood 12 weeks after both negative.

So I went back to my docs yesterday to see if my other GP had a better stance on my statue to why my glands are swollen in my neck groin, inflammed salivary glands, persistant white tongue and no appetite. A few weeks ago I had 3 lots of bloods taken at my GP and he noticed nothing strange blood count was normal etc so said even if it was a virus he doesn't think it would be caused by anything serious. Really don't like this idea of waiting and see if things clear up on there own.

Old 07-18-2012, 05:30 AM   #10
Facilitator
(male)

Apollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB User

Richard, i had a viral infection that lasted 6 months and then went away. Thats just life mate.

"Being defeated is only a temporary condition; giving up is what makes it permanent".

Old 07-19-2012, 11:21 PM   #11
(male)

Ado89 HB User

Thats really crazy because I have the same exact symptoms as you and I tested negative as well in Decemeber when all the symptoms started. Mines is accompanied by floaters and i have been having random rashes as well and its been going on for a year so imagine my agony. lol I also have a stupid post nasal drip thats more bothersome when I sleep than anything. I also took antibiotics and my body has been out of whack every since then. I would say dont worry dude. Believe your test results and move on. An HIV scare can take over your life and my grades in my last semester of college proved that. Take this as a lesson learned and in the future dont put yourself in situations where you are at risk.

The Following User Says Thank You to Ado89 For This Useful Post:
richard75 (07-20-2012)
Old 07-20-2012, 01:52 AM   #12
(male)

richard75 HB User

Hey Ado89 thankyou for the reply means alot, oh Ive had floaters they have pretty much gone now, ive had a few rashes but I think that was down to ibuprofen allergic reaction. All the sexual tests the clinic performed on me have been negative. Have you been to your doctor then to see what they say? I think our problem is so do with our antibiotic messing up our system. But for a year that's a huge amount of time. My hiv has ruined my education as well, but mine is my Masters cost my about £4000 for the course as well . I really will avoid doing this because this is hell at the momment.

Old 07-20-2012, 07:09 PM   #13
(male)

Ado89 HB User

Yea I have been having floaters for awhile now off and on. I have anxiety problems so I never know if its due to that or something going on in my body. Yea I know that its wierd that I have been having these crazy symptoms for a year but I take it as this. I just graduated in Dec and before I did I was put on a course of antibiotics which were amoxicillin. Now one course of antibiotics can alter and suppress the immune system and makes it hard to get that balance back of good bacteria but this was my third time within a year and a half if im not mistaken that I had been on. Before that I was given some for a UTI that I had and then before that for something that I had contracted. Not to mention my poor nutrition, smoking, drinking and stress from school. So I wreaked havoc on my system. After graduating I didnt change some of these poor habits so you can imagine how susceptible I would be to anything due to the medication (antibiotics) and poor habits to getting any infection that may seem HIV related primarily in the late stage of the virus but if you just contracted and are feeling all of these symptoms wouldnt it be more logical that it could be due to something else especially if Most HIV patients are asymptomatic for years before all these problems arise. So this may be just as well due to my lifestyle choices as well. Not to mention other drugs that I would take like Hydrocodine for an accident that I was in for the pain and Tramadol which is a histamine and caused a bad allergic reaction I had for awhile. So take note if you can avoid antibiotics do so. But anyway I was checked out and tested often but I hate going to the doctor because they always say everything is fine and I end up with a high a** bill at the end of the day so I try to avoid it as much as possible. However Im going back to get the rashes checked out and get some relief from the itching and weird inflammation Ive been having in various parts of my body. It sucks to lose out on money for a class to because Ive dropped, flunked and even retook some classes over but the most important part is to finish. Just keep in mind that youre alive and fine no matter what bodily symptoms you may feel. Everyday is a different day wake up with a positive attitude, do your best to keep yourself healthy and keep pushing bro.

Last edited by Ado89; 07-20-2012 at 07:23 PM.

Old 07-22-2012, 01:02 AM   #14
(male)

richard75 HB User

I was given Trimethoprim for UTI's to prevent my epididymal cysts becoming infected, I was on them for about 3 mounth. Which is one reason to why I started to panic more about HIV. As you said it yourself antibiotics can weaken the immune system, which lead me down the track of my immune system has been on these for 3 months, 2-4 weeks after my unprotected sex I get sore throat, night sweets etc which I believed where ARS symptoms. But the tests work on find the antibodies if you have a weak immune system surely it would take longer to produce them so wouldn't show. But trimethoprim has anxiety as a side affect tho. Up until that my immune system is great ive always been healthy only had one problem where Ive been really ill.

Can I ask what was your exposure? Well it is more logical it is something else than hiv, think it's the fact my GP's don't thnk it's serious ive lost nearly 2 stone in just over 3 months and starting to get diarrhea, was horrible .

Completely agree with you about avoiding them in the future, I don't envy you at all tho suffering through this for 1 year, suppose your from America in the UK at least the health system is free we just pay for our perscriptions. Alive and fine!

Old 07-24-2012, 03:39 AM   #15
(male)

richard75 HB User

Think it could be all related to the antibiotics or a Candida infection which can be enduced by stopping the antibiotics has alot of the sysmtoms shall try some antifungal tablets as well as avoiding the key foods like sugars that could cause more growth etc. Give it a few weeks and if no change then go back to my GP and see what he says. It can be rather hard to indentify, or the female could have has a yeast infection and passed it over not as uncommon as people think.

Closed Thread