It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

HIV Prevention Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-19-2012, 03:15 AM   #1
Inactive
(male)

cammmyb HB User
Exclamation Wondering ????

Hi there,

this is my second post on here and i was just wondering about delayed sero-
conversion ? Can have Glandular Fever, Mono or diabetes type 1 affect a HIV result after 3 months ????

please reply asap, thanks

Cameron

Old 07-19-2012, 03:19 AM   #2
Facilitator
(male)

Apollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB User
Re: Wondering ????

Hiya cam, delayed sero will only happen if and thats a big if your a long term IV drug user, on agressive chemo or anti rejection medication for an organ transplant and even then is so rare. So dont worry, your 5 month test still stands, you are HIV negative.

"Being defeated is only a temporary condition; giving up is what makes it permanent".

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-19-2012, 03:26 AM   #3
Inactive
(male)

cammmyb HB User

Hi Apollo !

I'am surprised you remember me! and the reason i am posting this is because i had a talk with the person i had the encounter with and they said that they think we done it in december or january meaning that it wasnt 5 months it was 4 months ? and just wondering if i should still go for anoth test on thursday to decrease the chances of a false-negative, and the person went to get tested too and said they were negative also and assures me that they never had any partners before me and that they have never injected drugs, so should i get another test, just to be safe ?

Old 07-19-2012, 03:35 AM   #4
Facilitator
(male)

Apollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB User

A 3 month test is fully conclusive, you really dont need to test any further. False negatives, never seen one myself but false positives i see all the time. The new tests are so sensitive that you dont need to worry cam, really you are fine.

Put it this way, if you got tested for cancer and was clear, would you really keep asking to take the same tests again, in fact they wouldnt even waste their time and cancer is a dam site harder to diagnose than HIV.

Really your fine, if i had any concerns at all i would tell you so really

"Being defeated is only a temporary condition; giving up is what makes it permanent".

Last edited by Apollo123; 07-19-2012 at 03:38 AM.

Old 07-19-2012, 03:42 AM   #5
Inactive
(male)

blokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB User

Hi,

No you should not keep testing. There is no chance of a false negative outside the HIV testing window period. The only false result you would ever be in danger of getting is a false positive result. This happens, it is well documented it happens and I have seen it happen. It can and does cause serious psychological damage. It happens becasue people over test or continue to test.

Buddy you have tested 100% negative, you can accept this reality or deny it if you wish but it will make no difference to your HIV status. You are negative.

Buddy words to the wise here, I have seen many people disappear down the rabbit hole of doubt. Despite being advised not to they keep testing, they allow their own fears to keep HIV in their life’s; the psychological damage they cause to themselves is extensive. I have even come across one guy who kept testing for over four years. It means nothing, mate, do yourself a huge favour and put this to bed.

Kevin.

Last edited by blokecalledkev; 07-19-2012 at 03:43 AM.

Old 07-19-2012, 03:43 AM   #6
Inactive
(male)

cammmyb HB User

You are right about the cancer thing, another thing is that have you seen people in a worse position than mine posting on here ? and what are the chances that the person had HIV in the first place ?

thanks, Cameron

Old 07-19-2012, 03:53 AM   #7
Inactive
(male)

cammmyb HB User

Thanks Kevin

Much appreciated and i know that symptoms mean nothing but i have been diagnosed with Oral Thrush but everytime i get medication for it, it goes away then comes back and i was just wondering what time Oral thrush appears in HIV infection ?

Thanks Cameron

Old 07-19-2012, 04:03 AM   #8
Facilitator
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cammmyb View Post
You are right about the cancer thing, another thing is that have you seen people in a worse position than mine posting on here ? and what are the chances that the person had HIV in the first place ?

thanks, Cameron
You mean have we seen people have a higher risk than you, yes for sure. Anal sex with a HIV positive person and they cam out negative and most importantly, they moved on from their negative test results.

Their over 60 million people in the uk, 100,000 with HIV and 60 - 40 split between gay and straight. So you meeting somone with HIV less that 1%, a false negative from a one time exposure, well the odds on that are more than i could imagine.

Really cam, stop worrying

Old 07-19-2012, 04:12 AM   #9
Inactive
(male)

cammmyb HB User

Thanks Apollo i feel better now and there is alot of debate over the 6 month testing period, now i read in a post of either yourself or Kevin that 6 months has been outdated. How long has it been outdated for ?

Cameron

Old 07-19-2012, 04:29 AM   #10
Facilitator
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cammmyb View Post
Thanks Apollo i feel better now and there is alot of debate over the 6 month testing period, now i read in a post of either yourself or Kevin that 6 months has been outdated. How long has it been outdated for ?

Cameron
since 2004

Old 07-19-2012, 04:33 AM   #11
Inactive
(male)

cammmyb HB User

What generation of HIV testing does the NHS use if you know ?

Old 07-19-2012, 04:53 AM   #12
Facilitator
(male)

It depends on the trust, but all are conclusive at 3 months

Old 07-19-2012, 04:59 AM   #13
Inactive
(male)

cammmyb HB User

Well thanks very much for answering very quickly and will take the advise on board

thanks alot, i mean it

Cameron

Old 07-19-2012, 05:04 AM   #14
Inactive
(male)

blokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB User

Cameron,

Buddy we cannot keep going backwards and forwards over this, ok? Yes you have had an HIV scare and yes you put yourself at a risk of an HIV infection. You have now tested for HIV and you have received a 100% negative result.

Rather than looking for more ways to keep you worrying, learn from this. You have dodged the bullet here and in the process learnt a valuable lesson. Always condom up.

Buddy, if there was any doubt that your test result was not valid or you were still at the slightest risk of an HIV infection from this, you would be told. You have not got HIV, ok? Put this to bed now mate and move on with your life.

Kevin.

Old 07-19-2012, 05:09 AM   #15
Inactive
(male)

cammmyb HB User

Thanks Kevin means alot really i will stop worrying and continue with my life

Thanks for the advice and info.

Many thanks Cameron

Closed Thread