It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

HIV Prevention Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-26-2012, 03:16 PM   #1
(male)

oore45 HB User
Exclamation p24 and p55 reactive in WB test

hello im really worried. 2 weeks ago i went in and got an hiv test 6 days later they called me and told me my results were indeterminate I came in and they told me i probably have HIV and that it's a 99.9% possibility I do. The p24 and p55 showed reactivity but they were shocked to know that the day before i went in for a rapid test and came out negative ( because i was worrying so much) can anyone explain to me about p24 and p55 and (HOPE HOPE HOPE) it's a false positive......? thank you so much...

Last edited by Administrator; 07-27-2012 at 08:18 AM.

Old 07-26-2012, 04:42 PM   #2
Inactive
(male)

blokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB User
Re: p24 and p55 reactive in WB test

Hi,

A western Bloc is either clear cut positive or negative. If it is positive P18, P24, P31, P55, P51 and P66 are detected (there may be more but this is off the top of my head, ok?). An intermediate test means that certain bands are missing and in your case a couple, P24 and P55 detected, therefore many of the bands that give a clear cut positive result were not present, hence the intermediate result (undetermined). Intermediate results can be caused by other antibodies being present other than HIV or by people who are in the early stages of seroconversion (going from HIV negative to positive). If you have not been exposed to HIV, by having unprotected anal and/or vaginal sex it is possible that the WB intermediate result if from something other than HIV.

There is no contraction here buddy, if you were in an early stage of seroconversion your rapid test may not or if you have not got HIV your rapid test would not return a positive result and to be honest at this moment in time neither as your WB. It is a bit presumptuous of anybody to jump to the conclusion you have HIV when neither test you have taken as concluded this.

It needs to be stressed here you have not had a positive result from any test yet and your intermediate result from a WB could be down to a number of things but until it returns a positive result you are not confirmed as positive (all bands are detected).

Not too sure why you were given a WB rather than a standard HIV antibody test, a few weeks ago, as WB are used as confirmation tests but this is academic at the moment. You should now work with the staff at the test centre to resolve this one way or the other and sorry buddy this may take some time.

Best of luck, Kevin.

Last edited by blokecalledkev; 07-26-2012 at 05:29 PM. Reason: typos

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-26-2012, 05:31 PM   #3
(male)

oore45 HB User

thank you for helping kevin. sorry if i came off really negative im just really scared and still am. all my tests for hiv came negative even my most recent except the western blot.....argh..

Old 07-26-2012, 05:47 PM   #4
Inactive
(male)

blokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB User

Its ok don’t worry about it. I am not sure why you were even given WB when all your other tests have been negative. WB test are only used to confirm a status not determine one.

I can't tell if you have HIV or not but you are obviously concerned about it. Having the wrong test and then being offered a somewhat presumptuous conclusion based upon it is not helping you.

You shouldn't have taken a WB and you certainly should not have been told it is 99.9% certain you have HIV based upon an intermediate result from one, especially if all your previous results have all been negative.

And buddy you really only need two tests to determine an HIV status, one between 4 to 6 weeks and then a confirmation test at 12 weeks. Testing over this carries its own dangers like, as you have found out, intermediates and false positives, ok?

Kevin.

Last edited by blokecalledkev; 07-26-2012 at 06:15 PM.

Old 07-26-2012, 08:20 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

joggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB User

Why are you testing for HIV? Did you engage in unprotected vaginal or anal sex or share injection drug equipment and if you did how long was it before your Western Blot?

Old 07-27-2012, 09:29 AM   #6
(male)

oore45 HB User

it was just a routine check up...i asked for a full body check up and they asked to get blood from my arm which i thought was strange, they took it and this. and to my knowledge i dont think ive ever had anal sex without a condom. ive had oral sex without a condom but i don't know if there was a tear or if it broke or anything....all i know was they told me that i have two bands positive and i hae a very high probability that i have hiv+ and i can believe it since i have had sex with 3 guys on seperate occasions recently ( but always with a condom. it was a weak point in my life after a few months after a really bad break up) but who knows what mightve happened..

Last edited by oore45; 07-27-2012 at 09:30 AM.

Old 07-27-2012, 09:37 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

joggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB User

Well, most indeterminate WB's resolve negative, and if you have been using condoms consistently as you say then yours will resolve negative too. Keep us posted.

The following user gives a hug of support to joggen:
oore45 (07-27-2012)
Old 07-27-2012, 09:50 AM   #8
Facilitator
(male)

Apollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB User

WE had a post just like this not long ago.

classification of Western blot results is determined by certain criteria. Most institutions now follow the CDC guidelines, which require reactivity to at least 2 of the following antigens: p24, gp41, gp120/160 for a positive classification. It is now universally accepted that a negative result is the absence of all bands. Two organizations, however, including the World Health Organization (WHO), suggest that results also can be reported as negative if there is only a very weak p17 band. Indeterminate classifications occur when there is reactivity to 1 or more antigens, but not fulfilling the criteria for positivity.

So having 2 bands dose not mean your positive in any way or form. Your antibody test proved your status as negative.

"Being defeated is only a temporary condition; giving up is what makes it permanent".

Last edited by Apollo123; 07-27-2012 at 09:56 AM.

The Following User Says Thank You to Apollo123 For This Useful Post:
oore45 (07-27-2012)
Old 07-27-2012, 10:00 AM   #9
(male)

oore45 HB User

thank you guys for replying, each reply makes me feel a bit better inside and i really hope you're right and im negative. If this is true then i don't know if i can trust the los angeles public health department...they really did tell me that i was probably hiv+ with one nurse and the other nurse told me that its really accurate and im 99.99% sure you have it so "we're taking another test and your viral load to see how many something is...." i have to wait until thursday for the results... it's eating me away inside..i'm trying to not keep my hopes up just in case i do have it....... but having someone to listen and talk to even like this is so much better..

Old 07-27-2012, 10:17 AM   #10
(male)

oore45 HB User

also it was hard not to believe them because the counselor was so careful with her words not giving me a definite yes or no answer when i asked and when i didn't asked they just told me that, that i thought they couldn't be wrong. augh.

Old 07-27-2012, 11:01 AM   #11
Inactive
(male)

Hi,

This entire thing seems rather bizarre to me mate. It seems bizarre that you would even be tested by WB when you had not had a positive result from another test and it seems bizarre that after an undetermined result you would be told such a thing. Western Bloc tests are not your standard run of the mill tests that are offered to everybody. They are only done after an positive antibody test result ( or PCR). I really don't understand why you were given such a test.

Don't get me wrong here buddy I am not doubting what you say but it is just such a extremely unusual set of circumstances. It is even stranger that you don't appear to have a cut and dry risk of an HIV infection.

Anyway like you have been advised keep us posted and please remember you have not had a positive result from any test yet, so to date you are HIV negative. Hopefully this will resolve itself sooner rather than later and your status will remain so.

Kevin.

Last edited by blokecalledkev; 07-27-2012 at 11:02 AM.

Old 08-01-2012, 07:58 PM   #12
(male)

oore45 HB User

hey here's an update.... I went to another clinic because I was feeling anxious... I have a question... If I got an indeterminate test result 2 weeks ago and then I get 3 rapid tests (2 oral swabs and 1 blood rapid test for the next two weeks after all came out negative) what are the chances of me having HIV+ test result? My test results come back tomorrow and I'm quite nervous and anxious......

I also asked the other HIV clinic why I was given a western blot first..apparently the doctor there said that different clinics have different policies and that western blot would be the final and only test they take which i think isnt the smartest thing because im such a nervous wreck for the last 3 weeks...but he agreed that they shouldnt have told me i was 99.99% sure that I was hiv positive...im still freaked out and traumatized about that....im still hoping for the best and hoping for a negative test result and an undetectable viral load...

Old 08-02-2012, 02:10 AM   #13
Inactive
(male)

Hi,

I agree with Apollo. Buddy I have also seen the advice you have been offered on other forums.

One of the dangers, as you have now found out, of having needless HIV tests is that every once in a while they do return unexpected results in the form of false or intermediate finding. I would advise you, very strongly, to stop testing for something you clearly have not got and move on with your life.

Kevin.

Last edited by blokecalledkev; 08-02-2012 at 02:20 AM.

Old 08-02-2012, 07:43 PM   #14
(male)

oore45 HB User

i got my second indeterminate western blot today and my viral load test is delayed. sorry i know i posted at other spots but that was when i went crazy looking for answers. This message board has been the most helpful in my situation. especially you kevin. thank you. I just wanted to update my progress like I promised

but for now My western blot that the nurses told me to retest said it was indeterminate again..

Old 08-03-2012, 03:55 PM   #15
Inactive
(male)

Hi,

Buddy you are needlessly over complicating this for yourself. You need to remember here that you were never at a risk of an HIV infection and as you have been advised many times that having needless HIV tests carries with it real dangers. You should not be having WB tests and you have been advised why intermediate results occur.

You really need to accept your negative results from the antibody tests from no risk situations. I really have no idea how you have managed to have a sexually active life so far to suddenly bring all this needlessly worry upon yourself but if this continue you should stop all forms of sexual contact with anybody until you can get your over active imagination and unfounded fears under control.

Kevin.

Closed Thread