HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   HIV Prevention (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/hiv-prevention/)
-   -   Should i be worried for me and my son (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/hiv-prevention/911892-should-i-worried-me-my-son.html)

jjjj1980 07-29-2012 09:40 AM

Should i be worried for me and my son

My 2 year old and i were out shopping today and walked right through a pool of fresh and still wet blood. My Lo fell over, not in the blood but very close to it. I cleaned his hands and could not see any fresh cuts (although he does have a few scabs). My jeans were trailing on the floor as i walked through it and i noticed when i returned home that my shoes had been rubbing on the back of my ankle making it bleed so i am sure the hems of my jeans will have been touching the open cut. I am now worried that either of us could have been exposed to HIV.

My husband is telling me to stop worrying but i am pregnant too and cant stop thinking about the risks to myself, my son and my unborn baby.

Apollo123 07-29-2012 09:55 AM

Re: Should i be worried for me and my son

Well its unlikley to be a pool of blood is it and that said its unlikley to have blood with HIV.

That said if the situation was as you say you will not be at risk as HIV will die once exposed to air, so that means any blood or fluids that contain the virus will not be a concern.

Hope that helps,

blokecalledkev 07-29-2012 09:57 AM

Hi,

You are worrying needlessly. HIV is very much an indoor virus and only remains infectious within the confines of the human body. Once exposed to air it becomes instantly non-viable. Even if the blood on the floor contained HIV, which is extremely unlikely, it would pose absolutely zero risk of an infection to you, your son or your unborn child.

Kevin.

jjjj1980 07-30-2012 09:50 AM

Thanks guys, your responses have put my mind at rest a bit.

Can i ask a (probably dumb) question? If HIV/AIDS dies quickly outside of the body, then how can they test for HIV in say, a routine pregnancy as it would take a day at least to get the sample to the lab.

Apollo123 07-30-2012 09:54 AM

[QUOTE=jjjj1980;5030393]Thanks guys, your responses have put my mind at rest a bit.

Can i ask a (probably dumb) question? If HIV/AIDS dies quickly outside of the body, then how can they test for HIV in say, a routine pregnancy as it would take a day at least to get the sample to the lab.[/QUOTE]

The HIV antibodys can still be detected but they are non infectious, so you cannot be at risk. Its also the same for saliva, you can still detect the virus with certain oral tests, but salvia is non infectious, hence why kissing is safe.

blokecalledkev 07-30-2012 09:59 AM

Hi,

They are not testing for the virus; they are testing for the antibodies that your own body produces in response to the virus.

Air does not have the same effect on the antibodies that is does on the HI virus.

The only way HIV as ever been kept viable (infectious) outside of the human body is in the controlled environment of a science lab and this is under extremely artificial high concentrations.

Kevin.