It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

HIV Prevention Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-03-2012, 02:07 PM   #1
(male)

EHeaven HB User
HIV and Herpes Blood tests

Hi everyone, I had unprotected sex both 10 weeks ago and 8 weeks ago with the same girl. I do not know her sexually history, and but would probably categorize it as a high risk scenario even though she wasn't a sex worker.
The first time we had sex I noticed I was badly chaffed, that would later become infected. After a week and a half it was crusting over when I came to the realization that I probably had herpes. I went back to her place to confront her but ended up having sex again, my logic being I couldn't make it any worse (until my doctor informed me of HIV).
So once again I was chaffed or had open herpes, so I went to my doctor two days later. He did a culture (and every other test) which came back negative for herpes. I've done a lot of internet research and know the swab is notorious for false negatives if you don't get it from a fresh lesion.
If she did give me herpes it was after the first encounter, so I did a blood test (both types) at 10 weeks which came back negative. My doctor said this is conclusive I DO NOT NEED ANOTHER ONE. I did a HIV test at the same time which has not come back, but would be 8 weeks after last exposure.

MY QUESTIONS:
1. Is it possible I acquired both HIV and Herpes and my bodies immune system isn't building antibodies as fast because of the tax of both diseases?
2. Can I rely on the test results for herpes at 10 weeks?
3. But most importantly, how accurate will my HIV test be at 8 weeks? (I WILL BE GETTING ANOTHER AT THE 3 MONTH MARK)

I am extremely worried, barely sleeping. I cannot wait for this three month window to be done. I don't honestly care if I have herpes, but I'll be devastated if I have HIV as it will affect my career. I hope God lets me role the dice just this once, I will never make these choices again I couldn't bear doing this over.

Last edited by EHeaven; 08-03-2012 at 02:10 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-03-2012, 02:54 PM   #2
Inactive
(male)

blokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB User
Re: HIV and Herpes Blood tests

Hi,

This forum deals with HIV concerns not herpes concerns. There is a board here that offers advice and support on herpes.

Buddy despite your belief that you are more likely to contract HIV from a sex worker than anybody else it is unfounded. Most all sex workers take their sexual health very seriously and rightly so use condoms to protect themselves from their clients, not their clients from them. And most all sex workers are not loaded with every sexually transmitted disease under the sun, including HIV, just waiting to infect the first person that touches them.

As it is because you had unprotected vaginal sex with somebody (not a sex worker) whose HIV status is unknown you have placed yourself at a very small risk of an HIV infection. The fact that you have had a negative HIV test at eight weeks is prove enough that this very small risk as come to nothing and you have not contracted HIV( almost all HIV infections are now detected between 2 to 6 weeks after being infected).

If you wish to confirm your negative status at 12 weeks, you should do so. There is no reason for a confirmation test to be anything different, negative.

Kevin.

Old 08-03-2012, 06:33 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

smiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB User

as far as i know,
herpes will not effect a hiv test in any way
and vise versa..
whatever results you get back, should be very accurate
good luck

Old 08-09-2012, 09:27 PM   #4
(male)

EHeaven HB User

Thank you for the replys.
I tested negative at 8 weeks, but will remained worried until the 3 month mark.

Closed Thread