It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

HIV Prevention Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-06-2012, 06:02 PM   #1
(male)

WorriedNJ HB User
Body hot but no fever, is it ARS?

Hello all,
I recently had unprotected vaginal sex with a sister's friend of mine at a resort in Dominican Republic. We did get pretty intimate and not to get graphic but I also inserted my tongue in her anus during sex. The following day or 2 I noticed my genital area begin to feel very warm or almost as if my genitals had a fever, then a few days later my whole body felt hot as well but I had no fever. I also developed swollen lymph nodes in the back of my throat about 2 days later and I started taking antibiotics I found at a local pharmacy (no precription needed in DR) at about the 5-6 day mark. While in the country, I took advantage of the cheap services and had ALOT of dental work done (silver-to-white replacement on 6 old cavities, crown replacement, gum graft and 4 tooth extractions). At about the 2 week mark after my exposure with her, I started feeling pretty fatigue and flushed as if I was going to pass out. Mind you I had also started taking antibiotics for the extractions I did on my wisdom teeth. I went to the ER and they hydrated me with an IV and I felt a little better. At around this time, I discovered that I did accidentally take antibiotics that I was allergic to (pennecillin) that was prescribed to me by the dentist and I'm not sure if the antibiotics I took prior for my throat was also pennecillin as well.

I do feel as if the heat in my body and genitals has improved a bit atleast maybe 75% but maybe I've become desensitized to it. The flush, faint and dizziness feeling still has not gone away. I still have not drawn a temperature of over 98 degrees since my exposure.

I've spoken with the girl within the past week and she swears up and down that I am the only person she's been with since she broke up with her ex a few months ago. Claiming she has a 2 year old daughter and she had been in a long term relationship prior to us. She also claims she recently took an HIV test which she claims came out negative. She says she took the test because she heard rumors that her boyfriend cheated on her.

I am going to a local lab tomorrow to do a RNA (Viral Load) test and also to a local clinic to do a rapid oral test. Tomorrow will make approximately the 20 day mark since my exposure.

Do I have ARS?

Does feeling hot but with no fever possible with ARS, since ARS symptoms claim "flu-like" symptoms?

Could all the antibiotics that I've been taking for my throat and dentist work suppressed a potential fever ARS would likely have cause?

Could my allergy to antibiotics (penicillin/amoxicillin) created the flush/faint symptoms I am feeling?

Other then the symptoms I have prescribed I am not feeling any other symptoms. I do not feel nauseous, headaches etc. I have been driving myself crazy for the past 2 weeks researching HIV and ARS symptoms. I've almost come to agreement that I have HIV in my head. Please provide some advise. Thank you.

Last edited by WorriedNJ; 08-06-2012 at 06:06 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-06-2012, 06:56 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

smiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB User
Re: Body hot but no fever, is it ARS?

you cannot diagnose ars thru your symptoms
hiv is a virus and the symptoms of it can mimic many other
virus's there is no way to distinguish them from each other.
the only accurate way is by testing.
when i had ars,my fever was over 100 alot of the time
if you want a comparison of sorts.
anyway don't read into anything except what the test tells you.
you should be ok
good luck

Old 08-06-2012, 11:26 PM   #3
Facilitator
(male)

Apollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB User

As smit has said, we cannot tell you if you have ars, nobody can. Ars dose not have any specific symptoms as they are very typical of 100's of more common illness's.

As for testing, the pcr test cannot tell you your status and their is still a quiet high rate of false postives. Also its too soon to take any hiv test, infact pointless.

3 months is conclusive, but you can take a test at 6 weeks for a very good indication of your status and at that time you should test for all std's

Hope that helps

"Being defeated is only a temporary condition; giving up is what makes it permanent".

Old 08-07-2012, 05:13 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

joggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB User

You're overreacting to a minuscule risk. The RNA test is not really appropriate in your situation. While it is used for early detection, it is really best reserved for high risk exposures (sex with known infected partner), for the reasons that Apollo mentioned. If you do take it, however, a negative result would be highly accurate. You would need an antibody test at 3 months for confirmation for it to be conclusive. Expect negative results on your tests.

Old 08-07-2012, 06:26 AM   #5
(male)

WorriedNJ HB User

According to the servicing company that is selling the RNA test to me explained over the phone that the quality of the results are guaranteed at 25 days after exposure but I'm hearing different from you guys...

Joggen: I agree with what your saying but I'm doing this for my peace of mind regardless of the cost. I really can't go any longer worrying myself to death about this... It's affecting my everyday life. I think I'm even getting anxiety over this.

Also, do any of you guys know if taking antibiotics will throw off an HIV Antibody test?

I'm reading yes's and no's...

Currently I've been taking Clindamycin and Ibuprofen due to recent dental work done plus I had recently taking amoxicillin on and off in the past few weeks until I became faint/flushed.

Old 08-07-2012, 07:22 AM   #6
Facilitator
(male)

Apollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB User

Hi Worried, the only medication that "could" effect the results is anti rejection medication for an organ transplant, as for antibiotics, no they will not effect the outcome.

As for the RNA test, they cannot guarantee this for the reasons joggen has explained but also it is not an approved HIV test and more so the current cdc guide lines state 3 months are conclusive and no test is approved under that time scale and a RNA is not used to diagnose HIV anyway.

"Being defeated is only a temporary condition; giving up is what makes it permanent".

Old 08-08-2013, 05:40 PM   #7
(male)

Rileyocool HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apollo123 View Post
Hi Worried, the only medication that "could" effect the results is anti rejection medication for an organ transplant, as for antibiotics, no they will not effect the outcome.

As for the RNA test, they cannot guarantee this for the reasons joggen has explained but also it is not an approved HIV test and more so the current cdc guide lines state 3 months are conclusive and no test is approved under that time scale and a RNA is not used to diagnose HIV anyway.
Hey worried did you find out what it was i have same symptoms ??

Closed Thread