It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

HIV Prevention Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-08-2012, 08:36 PM   #1
(female)

cololo HB User
4 week negative antibody test, female

Okay I am going to be as detailed as possible.

On june 1st my boyfriend and i had unprotected sex. i got spooked and went and got an HIV test on June 28 it came back negative.But that is not the incident i am worried about. on july 1st we had sex again but the condom had broke twice on us by which as soon as it did he had to stop. i was scared beyond imagination but he reassured me that he was negative after i drilled him. also he says he gets tested ever 2-3 months and furthermore he has a life insurance policy. but that is neither here nor there for me. got caught up in the moment and the last round was unprotected though he had to masturbate to ejaculate because i refused to let him do it inside me. anyways, on july 30th i took a RAPID FINGER STICK BLOODTEST and it came back negative i know i can exclude the june 1st incident, but as for july 30th one i am still tripping over it. i just want to know if at four weeks given my exposure i can put this behind me or is further test needed ?

Last edited by cololo; 08-08-2012 at 08:39 PM.

The following user gives a hug of support to cololo:
alexa1 (08-30-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-08-2012, 08:53 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

smiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB User
Re: 4 week negative antibody test, female

it would be very unlikely for you to have hiv.
the test isn't considered conclusive by the cdc
but
i tested positive myself before that time at 19 days
and tests results rarely change from the first result.
i would think you are ok.
you should both get tested together and if you are exclusive
you should have no worrys
good luck

Last edited by smiteler; 08-08-2012 at 09:06 PM. Reason: spell

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-08-2012, 10:59 PM   #3
Facilitator
(male)

Apollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB User

I agree with smit, its unlikley he would have hiv and its unlikley you would get hiv from a one time exposure. You can only be conclusive once you have tested at 3 months from your last exposure. That said a test at 6 weeks will give you a very good indication of your status, but overall i wouldnt be worrying to much.

"Being defeated is only a temporary condition; giving up is what makes it permanent".

Old 08-28-2012, 12:36 PM   #4
(female)

cololo HB User

So here is a little update.

after my first four week test i got a
6 weeks test (42 days)- NEGATIVE
but then i read things that said AFTER 6 weeks so i wasn't sure if it meant six weeks and one day so i ventured to another clinic this time i got tested for hiv BLOOD P R I C K AGAIN 6 weeks and three days - NEGATIVE (also other STDS negative -i wasn't even scared about those because i was so fixated on the HIV-)
but once again couldn't be content for long so i went and had a eight week test
oraquick swab
8 weeks - NEGATIVE (but after having blood *****s i raise my eyebrows now at swabs. and i don't even think it was twenty minutes before the counselor gave me my results but i guess with that)

anyways i have a month to go before my conclusive test, but i feel like i have exhausted all my sources because every counselor gave me a different date to come back, but of course i am going to ignore that. and then i read and you hear that as a black woman you are more at risk than the average female.

and one good point that i have been reading across several boards is a risk not a risk whether it be small or extreme ?
*at this point the paronoia and over reading is probably going to send me into cardiac arrest rather than the waiting for September 29th to come.

*** and a little random piece of information while waiting for the counselor to get there i was the first person in line to get tested. then this woman walks in , in pure panic. well to cut a long story short turns out this guy she was with six months ago emailed her saying he was positive and she should go and get tested. so there she was screaming,hooting and hollering and I AM trying to explain to her everything i have read and learned that you have a 1 in 1000 chance of getting infected blah blah. anyways she felt so happy with her test results after they were negative (she said it was ONE time and she didn't even want to do it ) and all i kept thinking is how could you be so happy, it was a known exposure.

and here i am eight weeks with four negative test results contemplating on doing some expensive test because i just want it to be over. i distanced myself from my boyfriend despite the fact that he had gotten tested prior in april for everything under the sun. but reading hours on forums make you not trust ANYONE ! my relationship with him is over i know this pretty much =/ as he is in another state and i can't deal ...

Old 08-28-2012, 12:55 PM   #5
Facilitator
(male)

Apollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB User

Colo, nice to hear back from you, but calm down sister your like a whirlwind on a high lol.

Lets deal with the facts about you. Your tests are 99% conclusive and ive never seen a test turn postive at this time and i would not expect yours to do so either. 3 months is conclusive by the current cdc guide lines, so thats your final test and i would expect nothing less than a negative result.

Dont worry about all the rubbish you have read, the simple fact is your tests are excellent news.

Hope that helps

"Being defeated is only a temporary condition; giving up is what makes it permanent".

Old 08-28-2012, 01:09 PM   #6
Inactive
(male)

blokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB User

Hi,

It is extremely unlikely a negative test result will turn positive at 12 weeks. You have had four HIV tests, all negative, I think the message is pretty clear, ok. But please words of caution here; over testing can cause as many problems as not testing. The thing about HIV testing is it is not infallible. Sometimes, due to other medical conditions, HIV tests do return a positive result even though that person as not got HIV. This is called a false positive, it happens, I have seen it happen and if it does happen the psychological damage can be enormous. It can take time to sort out also.

Realistically you only ever need one test to determine an HIV status, at 12 weeks. Although most people do opt to test at between 4 to 6 weeks for reassurance. Two HIV tests really is the maximum and when you start testing over this amount you are starting to run the real risk of getting a false positive. Despite your desire to keep testing up until 12 weeks I would advise you very strongly to refrain from doing so and simply have one final test. No matter how expensive your next test maybe, it does not guarantee you that it will not return a false positive and this really is something you don’t need right now.

Kevin.

Last edited by blokecalledkev; 08-28-2012 at 01:11 PM. Reason: typo

Old 08-28-2012, 05:17 PM   #7
(female)

cololo HB User

I know. the rational part of me is telling me i am negative. and the funny thing is before i all of this i was so content with my one month result at any intervals because i get tested REGULARLY. like who do you know have had seven TEST in one year in five months ?

* i know where my fear is stemming from i really do. my uncle had it but he did not tell anyone until it was too late and yes he contracted it in the nineties whether it was from a one time exposure or several as my mom only suspect who the lady was I do not know. i guess because i ALWAYS insist on condoms and then trying to have a normal relationship.

but i guess ignoring my mental issues, question dr HHH regards heterosexual exposures as low risk. why is it if majority of the people affected worldwide with the virus is heterosexuals ?

Last edited by cololo; 08-28-2012 at 05:20 PM.

Old 08-28-2012, 07:30 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

SOTM HB UserSOTM HB UserSOTM HB UserSOTM HB UserSOTM HB UserSOTM HB UserSOTM HB UserSOTM HB UserSOTM HB UserSOTM HB UserSOTM HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cololo View Post
but i guess ignoring my mental issues, question dr HHH regards heterosexual exposures as low risk. why is it if majority of the people affected worldwide with the virus is heterosexuals ?
Many different things affect that. Hardest hit heterosexually is Africa....there is a greater prevalence of other STDs that make HIV transmission a lot easier, more men are uncircumcised which has been linked to higher(I have read double) HIV risk, different social practices( ie mulitple concurrent partners), less access to health care and testing.

If you search "handsfield epidemiology", a few of his posts come up explaining his stance on it.

I agree with everyone above. Even though it was a risk since you did not know his HIV stauts, he most likely does not even have HIV. Plus the multiple tests since, Id be moving on with my fear. Tests at around the 6-8 week mark are 99%+ accurate.....so combine that with the extremely slim chance he was positive and just a couple acts.....

Last edited by SOTM; 08-29-2012 at 08:47 AM.

Old 08-29-2012, 08:39 AM   #9
(male)

Grompf HB User

Hi Cololo,

The fourth-generation Elisa is highly reliable at 6 weeks. I don't know if it is the test you had done, maybe it is written on your test report and you can tell us? It does not matter if you had tested one or two days before the 6 weeks have elapsed.

The other antibody tests are reliable at 6 weeks anyway, but the official recommandations are to wait 3 months for a definitive result.

Don't take a PCR. It does not help.

The fact that you did not get any other STD is another very good sign.

Are you on anti-anxiety medication? Because it sounds like it is what you need first.

Cheers!

Old 08-30-2012, 12:05 AM   #10
(female)

cololo HB User

No it was not a duo test it was the standard antibody test they have in the clinics.but needless to say the first encounter is conclusive as the test was three months to the dwte.twelve weeks to be exact.eight week for the second act .i dont believe i need meds now but boy four weeks ago i would of knock them back like cocktails if i had the choice then cause that was a pretty bad head space i was in.
I mean i am pretty okay with my eight week except for the occasional irrational thoughts like tge nurse who was testing me for syphillis used a used needle or that shaving coulf affect my test lol.its crazy the things you think of.
But man do you ever notice across these health boards that often pupils become scientific experts at the end of their window.period.its like that three month.test is their certification and then instead of offer some.empathy to those with new concerns they turn around and tell folks their redults whether four weeks or 11.5 dont mean anything (shakes head).

But yeah talking to you all in here helps alot! Another question though how is it possible for
Massachuset to get away with six weeks as conclusive but if you venture to a neighboring state that is.null and void? Thats crazy you test there or newyork you are free and tgen in miami you got six more weeks to go....

Old 08-30-2012, 12:08 AM   #11
(female)

cololo HB User

Please excuse the typos i am responding on a phone

Old 08-30-2012, 12:51 AM   #12
Facilitator
(male)

Quote:
No it was not a duo test it was the standard antibody test they have in the clinics.but needless to say the first encounter is conclusive as the test was three months to the dwte.twelve weeks to be exact.eight week for the second act .i dont believe i need meds now but boy four weeks ago i would of knock them back like cocktails if i had the choice then cause that was a pretty bad head space i was in.
I mean i am pretty okay with my eight week except for the occasional irrational thoughts like tge nurse who was testing me for syphillis used a used needle or that shaving coulf affect my test lol.its crazy the things you think of.
But man do you ever notice across these health boards that often pupils become scientific experts at the end of their window.period.its like that three month.test is their certification and then instead of offer some.empathy to those with new concerns they turn around and tell folks their redults whether four weeks or 11.5 dont mean anything (shakes head).

But yeah talking to you all in here helps alot! Another question though how is it possible for
Massachuset to get away with six weeks as conclusive but if you venture to a neighboring state that is.null and void? Thats crazy you test there or newyork you are free and tgen in miami you got six more weeks to go....
Indeed you make a good point but i will say just ignore the comments.

AS for yourself your very much over the line but your 3 month will confirm this but i hav enot known a 6 week turn positive so your can very much relax.

Old 08-30-2012, 07:45 AM   #13
(male)

Grompf HB User

I am just repeating the official recommandations in the country where I stay: the window period is 6 weeks for the duo fourth-generation Elisa, 12 weeks for the antibody tests (including rapid tests).

Usually they give you two tests at the same time: a fourth-generation Elisa and another antibody test (a 3rd-gen Elisa for instance). If they are both negative at 6 weeks, they tell you this is conclusive.

Old 08-30-2012, 08:08 AM   #14
Facilitator
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grompf View Post
I am just repeating the official recommandations in the country where I stay: the window period is 6 weeks for the duo fourth-generation Elisa, 12 weeks for the antibody tests (including rapid tests).

Usually they give you two tests at the same time: a fourth-generation Elisa and another antibody test (a 3rd-gen Elisa for instance). If they are both negative at 6 weeks, they tell you this is conclusive.
The CDC guide line are inline with the manufactures of the test that only a 12 week test can be conclusive.

Old 08-30-2012, 08:46 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(male)

SOTM HB UserSOTM HB UserSOTM HB UserSOTM HB UserSOTM HB UserSOTM HB UserSOTM HB UserSOTM HB UserSOTM HB UserSOTM HB UserSOTM HB User

Quote:
Another question though how is it possible for
Not sure they are "getting away" with anything . The "official" window is pretty conservative, allowing the most reasonable time for the typical person to test positive. While it may be conservative, it is still the official window. Mass may have looked at data they have access to or reporting that has come back at them when making that call, I don't know. But most every expert and even mesage boards that know what they are talking about will say that the 6-8 week antibody tests are 99% accurate.

Going by the official window is still the right thing to do. But haveing a 6 week test that at least one state calls conclusive should give some significant reassurance until the final test.

Closed Thread