It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

HIV Prevention Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-11-2012, 01:28 AM   #1
(female)

YoungNregretful HB User
Any Comments/Advice is greatly appreciated!!

Okay.. First I'd like to thank all the threads, comments, words of advice and encouragement.. For I know they've help ease my mind a tad bit.
Here's my story, I was with my bf for about four years, we then broke up and I was devested. He was and is my first love, first everything. When we broke up I was in my second yr of college, I then turned to alcohol and of course lead to risky behavior. I had multiple partners within a 8 month period.(no more then ten, some protected, others not) after a while, I grew tired of going out, seeing people etc. so I would stay in my dorm and drink alone. (not good,I know) during this time my bf returned from where he had gone to, and tried getting back in contact with me. Even tho our relationship ended in bad terms, he would call from time to time to see how I was, he noticed I wasn't myself and suggested we meet for lunch... Since then we've been together, stronger than ever. Stds nor HIV ever crossed my mind until I noticed a bump around my anal area.. Which then became a cluster of warts.(I knew I couldn't have gotten it from my bf, because we hadn't had sex) I started googling and came across hpv. I figured that's what it was, started eating better, working out to build my immune system and what not to kick this out. I haven't gone to the doctor, but I am planning to. I called today for info, and decided I'd go.

BUT that's not my main concern, although I wasn't serious with the other guys, I was a little more into one guy. I don't know his status, and honestly didn't think to ask(dumb of me) but he had just got out of doing some time for a robbery charge, and I know sometimes msm happens in prison. Aside from that he was promiscuous which is why I ended things with him. We're had intercourse about 4 times, only using a condom once. We talked for about 5months, where I stayed with him often, never saw any medication. He was very fit. And never seemed to be sick.. But I know you can't tell by looking at a person whether their HIV pos or not. I also know symptoms may not indicate having the virus, but I've been pretty healthy as has my bf. I can't seem to remember having any flu like symptoms.

Once again any comments would be greatly appreciated. Looking to ease some anxiety. Thank you.

Last edited by Administrator; 08-11-2012 at 08:25 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-11-2012, 01:41 AM   #2
(female)

YoungNregretful HB User
Re: Any Comments/Advice is greatly appreciated!!

Oh!!! I forgot to mention, I did have really bad knee pain. I don't know if it could have been a swollen gland? Maybe, joint pain? And a little white on tongue. But other than that.. All else seems okay.
I am going to test, partially because I think I may be pregnant, and of course for the health of my partner and I. But how bad does my situation look??

Old 08-11-2012, 02:03 AM   #3
Facilitator
(male)

Apollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB User

Hiya and welcome. Well you have had unprotected sex and from that you need to take a HIV test to confirm your status. If its 3 months from your last exposure then you can take a test which will be 100% conclusive. You can take a rapid test which will give you results in 15 minutes. At the same time you should test for all std's. Most std's dont have any symptoms, like wise with HIV, so the only way to know your current status is to take the required tests.

Any speculation on risks or symptoms are quite pointless as a test will confirm everything. Im sure i dont need to state this, but please use condoms for the future.

Best of luck.

"Being defeated is only a temporary condition; giving up is what makes it permanent".

Old 08-11-2012, 02:21 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

joggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB User

Your other partner would be the only one at significant risk for HIV . Still, it would be more likely that he was not infected. But as you were told, testing is the only way to know your status.

Last edited by Administrator; 08-11-2012 at 08:26 AM.

Old 08-11-2012, 09:14 AM   #5
(female)

YoungNregretful HB User

Thank you both. Very much.
I'm just reading what I definitely need to do. From reading these posts, I've been doing all the wrong as symptom chasing and going out of my mind asking myself why didn't I use condoms to begin with and avoid all this worry. I'm working on building up that little courage I need left to go test and finally know. I have brought it up to my partner, because he sensed something was wrong. He did tell me he'd stay and support me no matter what.. So that has relieved some stress. I've put myself in this situation, and I'm coming to terms on accepting my outcome. Once again thank you for your replies, as they do mean very much to me.

Old 08-11-2012, 09:12 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

SOTM HB UserSOTM HB UserSOTM HB UserSOTM HB UserSOTM HB UserSOTM HB UserSOTM HB UserSOTM HB UserSOTM HB UserSOTM HB UserSOTM HB User

Not sure of your timeframe since your last rsik, which would be unprotected sex. An HIV anitbody test, either rapid or traditional blood drawn type, would be in the area of 99%+ accurate at 6-8 weeks since your last exposure. A negative result then would be extremely reassuring, and a follow up 13week/3 month/90 day test would confirm that and would be very unlikely to change.

What is done is done, and you did put yourself at risk for any STDs including HIV. That said, it is still very unlikely any of your partners had HIV in the frist place, and also unlikely to transmit on a one or few time exposure. It can happen on the first time, but penile to vaginal transmission from a known HIV+ man is estimated at once per 1000-2000 exposures. They are just statistics, but it is to show that it is not as easily transmiited as feared by most people.

Relax and go for a 6 week or more test since your last risk. If that is negative, then I would take a deep breath and relax. Then go for a confirming test at the official ~3 month./

Last edited by SOTM; 08-11-2012 at 09:14 PM.

Old 08-11-2012, 10:31 PM   #7
(female)

YoungNregretful HB User

Thank you so much. That has helped ease my anxiety!! I know I have done wrong, there's no excuse for my behavior. That's how I'm trying to look at things.. What done is done.
For the last 6 months or so, I've been with my bf. my last exposure would have been even before this. So I'm thinking I shouldn't have to retest. My bf and I are both planning on getting tested. Once again thank you very much for your comment!!! Although I know the risks I have put myself in, I'm praying for a negative result.
Thank you for taking time out to reply!

Closed Thread