It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

HIV Prevention Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-13-2012, 01:32 PM   #1
(male)

Halogonenow HB User
False Positive due to active Lupus?

Is it possible for someone to test FALSE POSITIVE for HIV due to active LUPUS?

My partner and I have been together for 5 months and both were Negative for HIV when we got together. In fact, he was honest enough to show me his test results, date January 2012, which clearly stated that he was Negative.

From the start of our relationship, I noticed he had several large zit-like sores on his arms, neck and back. He explained that his family has a history of Lupus and the sores were simply a recent outbreak he was experiencing.

As with all of my committed/monogamous relationships, we did not use condoms whatsoever. Therefore, we decided to get tested 2 months ago to confirm/affirm that our sexual practices would not put either person at risk.

As fate would have it, I tested Negative, but he tested Positive on ELISA & Western Blot. We then went to a second clinic for another Rapid test & Antigen Test which both came back Positive. He is now insisting he has not engaged in any sexual behavior that could have infected him and that he is still Negative until he gets a NAT/DNA/RNA confirmatory test. I believe he is simply experiencing denial as can be expected from acquiring HIV.

Based on the inconclusive data I have found online regarding False-Positives cases/research, I don't know what to believe.

Last edited by Halogonenow; 08-13-2012 at 01:47 PM.

Old 08-13-2012, 02:41 PM   #2
Facilitator
(male)

Apollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB User
Re: False Positive due to active Lupus?

Hiya. well lupus is known to give false positives although it is rare with a wb. The pcr and nat test will give you a better indication of his status, but generally speaking a wb is golden.

Please let us know how you get on and fingers crossed.

"Being defeated is only a temporary condition; giving up is what makes it permanent".

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-02-2013, 09:38 PM   #3
(male)

musgo HB User
Re: False Positive due to active Lupus?

i'd like to know what ever happened to you and your bf and what were the final results on the last test?

i'm trapped right now in a very similar situation, my bf just came hiv poz in his results, has marks on the skin, but now he is taking another test and will be getting results in 2 more days, im very worried but i try to act natural around him.

im in a relationship with my 5 yr old partner, and just met my bf 1 month and a week ago, and i've fallen in love, i was going to leave my current bf this summer for him(too long of a story to explain the timing) but now the results have made our future look uncertain, i'd probably still be with him if he came hiv poz because i love him too much, i know its been only a month.

as far as the sex.. we did safe and some other not as safe sex.. lots of precum, some might have gone inside, hm.. all others with condom.

he has a friend that he visits once in a while, but they have unprotected sex, the guys is married and has a faimly.. so he supossebly only does unsafe sex with him whenever they see each other, but he said that he's been a little loose the last time, so there is that chance that he might be screwing around with other guys may be with condom or not.. who knows

should i worry?

Closed Thread

Tags
false positive, hiv, lupus