It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

HIV Prevention Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-14-2012, 09:53 AM   #1
(male)

tj86 HB User
ARS symptoms 2 weeks after event

Hi,

About two weeks back I had received unprotected oral sex from a sex worker who is known to have unprotected oral sex (including swallowing) with several males everyday. I also inserted my fingers into her vagina and then touched my penis with the same hand. She had piercings in her mouth that she was constantly adjusting during the session.

As of yesterday I have been experiencing flu like symptoms, including sneezing, headaches, a sore throat and feeling feverish. I'm worried that this could be HIV.

I have read about there being no risk from oral sex, but I'm worried about the fingering, or the possibility of there having been blood from one of her piercings.

I am considering getting a test, but am too afraid of a positive result. Any input here would be appreciated.

Thanks

Old 08-14-2012, 11:39 AM   #2
Facilitator
(male)

Apollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB User
Re: ARS symptoms 2 weeks after event

You can relax, you were not at risk of HIV. HIV is only passed on via unprotected sex. Fingering has no route of HIV transmission into your body, and their are no cuts that would cause a concern be you tell me later you had one. As for blood, their was none or you would have noticed, not to mention that would pose no risk because once HIV is exposed to air it dies, let alone it would not be able to enter your blood stream.

So all is fine.

"Being defeated is only a temporary condition; giving up is what makes it permanent".

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-14-2012, 01:03 PM   #3
Facilitator
(male)

Apollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB User

Nothing on your fingers would pose any risk to yourself as i said in my first post. So on that basis you had zero risk and do not need to test for HIV.

I think you just have the flu, simple as and indeed its just coincidentally but you may want to test for std's after 12 days as thats the only risk you may have had.

"Being defeated is only a temporary condition; giving up is what makes it permanent".

Old 08-14-2012, 01:05 PM   #4
(male)

tj86 HB User

Appreciate the quick reply.

I'm unsure about cuts on my fingers. I am a nailbiter and occasionally bite the skin surrounding my nails as well, so don't know if there were any small nicks at the time.

Given the almost too coincidental timing of symptoms (I know you can't comment on causation) and exposure to an individual engaging in high risk sexual activity, is it worth getting tested (today is day 15) or do you feel I'm all clear?

Old 08-14-2012, 06:22 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

joggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB User

Regardless of your 'symptoms' (which do not suggest HIV at all) HIV testing is unnecessary: you never had an exposure. You have nothing to worry about concerning HIV and should just move on with your life.

Old 08-16-2012, 01:20 PM   #6
(male)

tj86 HB User

Hi guys,

It has now been 17 days since my exposure. I still have a low grade fever, fatigue, headaches, sore throat and sneezing. Today I discovered a canker sore in my mouth. Give the timing and nature of these symptoms, is it not possible that this could be HIV?

After receiving oral sex, she gave me a washcloth to clean up. The washcloth was damp and I think it might have been used by guys before me. I used the washcloth to clean my penis. Could this be a mode of transmission?

I cannot shake the worry. I want to get a rapid HIV test done but at 17 days I'm afraid that the results won't mean a thing.

Old 08-16-2012, 01:45 PM   #7
Facilitator
(male)

You never had an exposure !!

Old 08-17-2012, 12:03 AM   #8
(male)

R3gr3tful HB User

Hey,

I recently had what I thought was a HIV risk and I started to get 'symptoms' but that was due to being scared and stressed.

As soon as I realised I was at no risk I quickly calmed down and my life is now a lot better. Im actually happy enough that I could miss my 6 week test but im going to do it and post it on my thread so other people in my situation realise they were at no risk.

I would listen to the chaps and chapettes on here who know what they are talking about and learn from this experience, i.e. if your concerned about the risk of HIV through Oral sex, just use a condom

Old 08-17-2012, 08:06 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

SOTM HB UserSOTM HB UserSOTM HB UserSOTM HB UserSOTM HB UserSOTM HB UserSOTM HB UserSOTM HB UserSOTM HB UserSOTM HB UserSOTM HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tj86 View Post
I cannot shake the worry. I want to get a rapid HIV test done but at 17 days I'm afraid that the results won't mean a thing.
What you are feeling is NOT HIV, please listen to everyone here!

You can think of a million scenarios of what happened.....unprotected oral sex is not a risk, netiher is fingering or touching anything that has HIV on it...the virus is weak and dies rapidly when exposed to air.
UNprotected vaginal and anal sex is how it is transmitted sexually. You had neither, so move on

It usually goes a couple ways from here....
1) you can trust what is said here and stop stressing about this non risk. Not one person here would lie to you or sugar coat a risk if you had one.

or...

2) you can worry yourself to death for several more weeks over this non risk, and then fianlly accept that you did not have a rsik when you test neagtive in several weeks.

Please choose number one

Last edited by SOTM; 08-17-2012 at 08:08 PM.

Old 08-18-2012, 05:10 AM   #10
Inactive
(male)

blokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tj86 View Post
Hi guys,

It has now been 17 days since my exposure. I still have a low grade fever, fatigue, headaches, sore throat and sneezing. Today I discovered a canker sore in my mouth. Give the timing and nature of these symptoms, is it not possible that this could be HIV?

After receiving oral sex, she gave me a washcloth to clean up. The washcloth was damp and I think it might have been used by guys before me. I used the washcloth to clean my penis. Could this be a mode of transmission?

Buddy do yourself a huge favour and stop referring to this encounter as an exposure. You were NOT exposed to HIV and this is not an HIV exposure situation. You have absolutely no reason to worry about HIV and absolutely no reason to test for it over this non issue.

You are needlessly worrying and needlessly self examining yourself. HIV is not diagnosed by self exanimation nor is it diagnosed on HIV forums. It is diagnosed by an HIV test, which you do not even need.

Regardless of when you test your test will be meaningless because you were not even at a risk of an HIV infection. Any test you take will, regardless of when, return the same result; negative.

Kevin.

Last edited by blokecalledkev; 08-18-2012 at 05:13 AM.

Old 08-19-2012, 03:50 PM   #11
(male)

tj86 HB User

Appreciate all the replies.

This post is not about my symptoms (which still persist, but I will just get tested at 6 weeks and then at 3 months to allay my concern).

This post is about the risk of HIV transmission via oral sex. I feel that posters on this board are too quick to discount the risk of unprotected oral sex as a means of HIV transmission, and that it warrants no testing. I have been doing a lot of reading on the subject, and most medical sources state something along the lines of the following:

"There is a risk of HIV transmission via oral sex but this risk is low to miniscule."

I find it a hard pill to swallow when someone says that a low risk event does not require testing. By virtue of the fact that there is no 100% certainty about the safety of unprotected oral sex vis-a-vis HIV, I feel that testing should be automatically advised for all such individuals at the 6 week, 3 month and even the 6 month mark.

Last edited by Administrator; 08-23-2012 at 09:39 AM.

Closed Thread