It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

HIV Prevention Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-20-2012, 06:29 AM   #1
(male)

johnboydavi HB User
Please help, open wound and vaginal discharge

Hi, Please help as im as anxious as hell.

About 4 weeks ago I had sex with a high risk sex worker in south east asia. I wore a condom. Previous to that I had shaved the base of my penis and testicles and cut my self in about 4 places on the base and testicles, which bled for a while. The sex was approx 3 to 4 hours afterwards.

I am worried about hiv. I have rang a doctor and he said I need to go for a test between 4 and 6 weeks. Do you think I need a test?

I know hiv is inactive when outside the body and is supposed to live high up near the cervix in a woman. But if you can catch it without a condom, what is the difference of pulling it out on the end of the condom and getting it straight into an open wound? Would this give the virus sufficient time to become inactive?

I have herpes but it wasnt active at the time, Do you think this could have any impact on the situation?

Please help me

thanks in advance

Old 08-20-2012, 06:39 AM   #2
Facilitator
(male)

Apollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB User
Re: Please help, open wound and vaginal discharge

No doctor would advise going for a HIV test as you used a condom so you had protected sex. Any so called cuts would heal straight away and even if fluid got their, which is very unlikley, so it will pose no risk as HIV cannot replicate outside the host.

So you dont need to test and nothing in your post will give any concern to your status.

"Being defeated is only a temporary condition; giving up is what makes it permanent".

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-20-2012, 07:57 AM   #3
Inactive
(male)

blokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB User

Hi,

You are worrying needlessly. Small cuts that you have described instantly seal themselves with a protective membrane to prevent viral infections. And as you already know HIV is not viable outside of the human body.

The reason there is a very small risk of an HIV from a female to male when an unprotected penis is inside a female is because infected fluids may enter the urethra (the tip of the penis) where there are absorbent membranes. If the conditions are correct and there is sufficient viral load there can be a risk of an HIV infection. This membrane, unlike your small cuts allows for the abortion of infected fluids into the blood stream. This all happens within the confines of the human body, which is the only place HIV remains infectious.

The fact you have herpes, inactive or not makes no difference, you had protected sex and were nowhere near a risk of an HIV infection.

Nobody, not a single person as ever contracted HIV from having protected sex. With or without cuts, with or without herpes. In the entire thirty years HIV as been around not one single person as ever contracted HIV from having protected sex. Do you really think you will make medical history and be the first?

You were not a risk of an HIV infection and if a doctor as told you were, I would advise you get another doctor.

(And please there is no such thing as a “high risk sex worker”, there is only high risk activities which are unprotected vaginal and/or anal sex. You did not engage in a high risk activity you engaged in a zero risk activity regardless of the HIV status of the women involved. You should also be aware that sex workers actually use condoms to protect themselves from you not you from them.)

Kevin.

Last edited by blokecalledkev; 08-20-2012 at 08:12 AM. Reason: added

Old 08-21-2012, 12:14 AM   #4
(male)

johnboydavi HB User

Hi, thanks for the replys. Apollo, Indeed the doctor did say I had a risk, although small and required testing. He said the results would be ready the next day after the test.

Kev, I see what your saying and no, I dont think im going to be the one who makes medical history, at least I hope not anyway!!

Does the virus become inactive immediatley as soon as it is in the air when it leaves the vagin? I have read it becomes inactive soon, but not immediatley.

I have to disagree with you on one small point though Kev, regarding the high risk sex worker, as it was me who insisted on using the condom, she then proceeded to fumble in her bag for a couple of minutes to dig it out. This rings alarm bells to her either being stupid or careless and putting her self at risk of men having the virus or anything else, and passing it onto her. Id be stupid to think she was that naive not to need one in her "proffesion".

Thanks for the answers though and you have put my mind at risk somewhat.

Old 08-21-2012, 01:30 AM   #5
Facilitator
(male)

Apollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB User

You need to find a better doctor, you were not at risk of HIV as per my first post, re-read it.
So you can either accept it or not and if you still believe you have a risk then test at 3 months. Personally if I was you I would get on with your life.

"Being defeated is only a temporary condition; giving up is what makes it permanent".

Old 08-21-2012, 02:57 AM   #6
Inactive
(male)

blokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB User

Buddy, HIV, despite the fear it generates, is an extremely fragile virus and requires very specific conditions to stand the slightest chance of being transmitted from person to person. Those conditions only exist within the confines of the human body. It has only ever been kept viable (infectious) outside of human body within the artificial conditions of scientific laboratories and in extremely high concentrations (not those found within human fluids). Once exposed to air the outer shell of this fragile virus is instantly damaged and it becomes unable to infect and will posse zero risk of an infection.

We will have to agree to disagree because regardless of how you try to categorise this woman her status does not put anybody at a risk of an HIV infection. It is your actions that put you at a risk of an HIV infection. As you have been advised your actions did not put you at a risk of an HIV infection.

If you wish to test, like your doctor advises, then by all means do so. Your result will inevitably be negative because regardless of what you add, you had protected sex and was not at a risk of an HIV infection. You can test out to three months if you want, but you are doing so for no other reason than for peace of mind, not because you were anywhere near a risk of an HIV infection.

Kevin.

Old 08-21-2012, 05:14 AM   #7
(male)

johnboydavi HB User

Guys, thanks, I hear what your both saying, and I will take heed of this advice.

Thanks again.

Old 08-28-2012, 10:47 AM   #8
(male)

johnboydavi HB User

Hi again Apollo123 and Kev.

I had a test today following our conversation for peace of mind. The test was a hiv 1& 2 antibody test. I wasnt given a choice on type of test so hoping you can throw some light on it for me. The doctor gave the results to his secratary who in turn gave the results to my interpreter in malasian. My friend immediatley said its all clear and I know you both said testing wasnt required but;

the test was for hiv 1 & 2 antibody. is this a 4th generation test? I was in malasya and the doctor didnt want to talk to me. The result was non reactive, this was exactly 4 weeks and 6 days to the day of the deed.

How reliable is this test after approx 5 weeks?
Can I take this as gospel that I am hiv negative?
Most importantly do i need to test after 3 months? I know you both said out to 3 months, but do you mean inbetween or before or after?

Please dont get upset with me for asking these questions but as you know once the anxiety sets in, its hard to get rid of. I just need a bit peace of mind like most people on here and I hope these posts can be read in the future by people going through the same torment.

Cheers again!!

Old 08-28-2012, 11:18 AM   #9
Facilitator
(male)

Your test confirms what you were told, you had no risk and your negtive, so no you dont need to test again, so please forget this pointless pursuit and start living your life again.

The Following User Says Thank You to Apollo123 For This Useful Post:
johnboydavi (08-28-2012)
Old 08-28-2012, 12:30 PM   #10
Inactive
(male)

Hi,

Buddy nobody here is mad or upset with you, ok? There is no medical reason for you to test out to 3 months (testing out to three months means exactly that, the HIV window period is 3 months/ 12 weeks, so people have a confirmation test at 3 months). It is your call mate, you were not exposed to HIV and your negative result at 5 weeks confirms this, regardless of what generation of test it was.

My opinion is that you should put all thoughts of HIV out of your mind and get on with your life but ultimately this is your call. If, the only way you can convince yourself that you was not exposed to HIV is to retest at 3 months then do so. Your result will be no different.

Kevin.

The Following User Says Thank You to blokecalledkev For This Useful Post:
johnboydavi (08-28-2012)
Closed Thread