It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

HIV Prevention Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-23-2012, 07:54 AM   #1
(male)

apomorphine HB User
oral sex tiny cut

Hi, about 8 months ago I had an encounter with a guy who declared to be 'clean'. It was an unprotected oral sex (I was giving). I can't remember how long the oral sex lasted for but it shouldn't be longer than 10-15 minutes. There was no ejaculation in the mouth and I am not sure whether there was prec*m or not. Soon after he left, I went to the bathroom to check for any cut in my mouth and I did find a TINY (1-2mm?) cut on the inner side of my lower lip that I think I got from performing the oral sex. It only bled a little when I poked it (actually it barely bled at all but you could see a TINY bit of blood just on the lining of the cut) and I'm pretty sure it wasn't bleeding during the oral sex. I never developed any HIV-like symptoms from this.

About a 6/7 weeks ago I had another encounter with a different guy whose HIV status is unknown to me. It was also an unprotected oral sex. This time I brushed my teeth before I performed an oral sex on him. There was no bleeding or any noticeable cuts but there could have been micro cuts that I wasn't aware of then. The oral sex didn't last for more than 5 minutes (no ejaculation in the mouth, not sure about prec*m). About a couple of weeks later I began to develop symptoms like chills, nausea, malaise which resolved in 1.5 days and diarhea as well as belching that lasted for another 3 days. I know you can never diagnose HIV from symptoms and I didn't think this was it anyway. It just so happened that I had these symptoms a day after I came back from singapore (I live in Australia) and I suspected this to be some sort of mild food poisoning like norovirus that can cause gastritis.

I am seeing my GP and going to get tested in 5 days, but I just want to know if I am in any risks of contracting HIV at all? I am more concerned about the encounter that I had 8 months ago because of the cut on the inner side of my lip. Even if there was prec*m, I never swallowed anything. I have been worrying so much over the past 1 week and I haven't been able to get any effective works done. I am in my last year of college and I'm having my exams within the next week. I need someone I can talk to.

Last edited by apomorphine; 08-23-2012 at 08:02 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-23-2012, 10:17 AM   #2
Facilitator
(male)

Apollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB User
Re: oral sex tiny cut

Hiya, oral sex is not a risk of HIV.

1, The saliva in the mouth acts as a barrier aginst HIV. It has overa dozen protiens and emzymes that make the virus inactive on contact.

2, Their is no route of HIV transmission, ie how would it get into your blood stream. Well the stomach is a hostile place, so not here.
Cuts, well most cuts including cleaning your teeth heal straight away and are not deep enough for any concern. The only possible risk and this is only theroretical, if you had an open socket from having a tooth removed.

So, in 20 years their are NO reliable reported cases of HIV from oral sex and i cannot see you being the first, lets not also not forget that its unlikley they even had HIV, so i think your fine.

Hope that helps

"Being defeated is only a temporary condition; giving up is what makes it permanent".

Old 08-23-2012, 11:22 AM   #3
Inactive
(male)

blokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB User

Hi,

You are worrying needlessly; neither of these incidents constitutes a risk of an HIV infection. Please concentrate on your exams which are far more important than worrying about something you have no realistic chance of having. If you want to test for HIV, it is strictly for peace of mind. The result will inevitably be negative.

Kevin.

Old 08-24-2012, 06:20 AM   #4
(male)

apomorphine HB User

hi guys, thank you very much for the replies. it calmed me down for some time of the day. but i can't stop thinking of the what-ifs. so what do you think about my the cut in on the inner side of my lower lip? what if he just recently contracted the infection and had a viral load in his prec*um then? what are my risks now?

even if i was negative, what is the chance of my result being false positive. as if this was the case, i would really freak out and die. i am normally a very careful person.. i don't engage in anal sex and take care of health very well (i have failed this time obviously). thank you for reading this.

Old 08-24-2012, 07:05 AM   #5
Facilitator
(male)

Apollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB User

Well you dont need to test so why do so? False postives happen, but its rare when you take in mind the many millions of test that are done every week.

Your cut has been explained if you read my post, re-read it.

"Being defeated is only a temporary condition; giving up is what makes it permanent".

The Following User Says Thank You to Apollo123 For This Useful Post:
apomorphine (08-24-2012)
Old 08-24-2012, 07:17 AM   #6
(male)

apomorphine HB User

hi!! When I re-read my posts, the intercourses that I had sound so trivial, but the fact that I had a cut and the oral sex was quite rough got me concerned. I know I am being frustrating but I am only 20 years old, just got accepted into medical school (unbelievable right seeing how overly paranoid I can get ), everyone else is so happy for me and I feel like something bad is going to happen and this could be it.

Your posts are putting this into perspectives in my head which is great but when I am alone I start thinking about the what-ifs and it killlls me. I just noticed that I missed something (a word) in my previous post, I was meant to say "what if his viral load was HIGH in his prec*m", how much would this affect my supposingly non-existent risk? Oh God why do I act so stupid sometimes.

Old 08-24-2012, 07:42 AM   #7
Facilitator
(male)

His VL would not be a concern because you were not at risk, but then its very unlikley he even had HIV anyway. Unless you cut was open and you had blood pouring from your mouth then you can be assured you were not at risk of HIV. The cut would heal straight away, just like a paper cut does, so on that basis their is no chance anything would get into yoour blood strea.

Old 08-24-2012, 10:54 AM   #8
Inactive
(male)

blokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB User

Regardless of his viral load (in precum it is actually very low, some studies indicate it is non existent) you were not at a risk of an HIV infection. Buddy you really are over estimating how easy it is transmit HIV and your risk of such a transmission occurring. HIV is not as easy to contract as you imagine and it is certainly not contracted through what you have described.

What ifs and playing out worst case scenarios in your head will not alter medical science and the understanding of HIV.

Chalk this one up, put it behind you and stop dwelling on it. You are going to med school and have you whole life ahead of you. Please do yourself a huge favour and don’t let something like this spoil your youth, you only have it once, enjoy it and stop worrying.

Kevin.

Old 08-26-2012, 02:40 AM   #9
(male)

apomorphine HB User

Thanks kevin and apollo. I am getting tested tomorrow and I'll keep you guys updated with my result. Wish me luck.

Old 08-26-2012, 04:33 AM   #10
(male)

R3gr3tful HB User

Good luck! Though from the sounds of it you wont need it

Old 08-26-2012, 05:09 AM   #11
(male)

apomorphine HB User

Thanks r3gr3tful, but this guy from 8 month ago is dodgy and he's not making me feel any better about it after I told him about my concern. This is not the first time I have my blood tested and each time I freak out and react the same way. Sometimes I can't take it anymore and feel like I could break down any time

Last edited by apomorphine; 08-26-2012 at 05:10 AM.

Old 08-26-2012, 07:50 AM   #12
(male)

R3gr3tful HB User

Hey, apomorphine, from what you have posted the chaps on here have said you are at no risk so try not to worry about it.

I know that is easier said than done but when I had my scare (That was risk free) I started making myself feel ill and it wasn't until I realised I was at no risk and got on with life that I started to get better.

You will be fine, don't forget to post your results.

Old 08-27-2012, 05:23 AM   #13
(male)

apomorphine HB User

hi guys just got my test done today. will get result in a few days. just a question, since ELISA isn't sensitive for HIV antibody specificly, would getting vaccinations about 15 mins before getting my blood drawn have an impact on my HIV result? i.e improving the likelihood that it will be false positives? I just received my complete vaccination set today before they drew my blood. Any info would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

Old 08-27-2012, 05:41 AM   #14
Inactive
(male)

Hi,

Yes these are a small chance that the vaccinations will increase the chances of a false positive. It as to be stressed here though that they will have no impact on a negative result. If the result is negative, which it most certainly will be it will be final, you do not have HIV.

Try not to get too tied up in the fine print here buddy and don’t worry about what ifs for now. Let’s see the results of your test and take it from there. Worrying about possible flase positives at this point is to be honest pointless and won’t change the result, ok?

You really was not at risk of an HIV infection. And buddy I have no idea where you got the idea that an ELISA isn’t sensitive for HIV. It is an HIV test.

Kevin.

Last edited by blokecalledkev; 08-27-2012 at 05:44 AM.

Old 08-27-2012, 05:48 AM   #15
(male)

apomorphine HB User

Sorry but I read that from this forum. It's actually one of the sticky posts..

"ELISA- The elisa works on a basis of yes and no the (ELISA) test is a super sensative test that looks for antibodies of greater concentration in the body in some cases the event of a false positive can occur due to certain amounts of antibodies detected in the blood but even tho elisa is super sensetive it is not as specific and that's where the (WESTERN BLOT) comes in . The advantage of a super sensetive test is the earliest possible detection of antibodies to the hiv virus but again the test is not 100% specific on whether or not they are in fact (ANTI-HIV-ANTIBODIES) in most cases they are but in the even of a (REACTIVE) or (POSITIVE) elisa test it needs to be further confirmed with a (WESTERN BLOT) test."

maybe I should have put it this way "it's sensitive not only to HIV antibodies".

On the other hand, thanks kevin. I will try to remain sane.

Last edited by apomorphine; 08-27-2012 at 05:54 AM.

Closed Thread