It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

HIV Prevention Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-23-2012, 10:24 PM   #1
(male)

snowy5 HB User
Unhappy really need some advice

Hello everyone, i'm 20 y/o male. My possible exposure is one time unprotected anal sex with a guy with unknown hiv status on 15th June 2012. I was the receptive one.It only lasted 5 minutes. I totally regret it, totally. I can't remember if i had any ARS symptoms but during 2 or 3 weeks after possible exposure i had night sweat and fever sometimes. I also know it's silly to rely on ars symptoms since the way to only know is through test, which i did.

I had CMIA test around 5.5 weeks which came out non reactive, and again i had Vidas test around 8.5 weeks ( i don't know whether it's rapid or duo test since the lab didn't give much information about it) and it also came out non reactive too.

Today i had CMIA test at my 10 weeks that i hope also turn non reactive, but i just can't brush off that anxiety. Could u all give me some advice what my test status give? and should i wait for 6 months too test again? cause i noticed that i dont have any point to test again at 6 months like no immune system or PEP medication and other. Please give me advice and experience. Thank you very much.

Last edited by Administrator; 08-23-2012 at 11:02 PM. Reason: disallowed website

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-23-2012, 11:20 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

joggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB User
Re: really need some advice

At 8.5 weeks antibody tests are highly accurate, so it doesn't really matter whether it was a 3rd generation or 4th generation test. You really need only one more test- an antibody test at 3 months for confirmation. Expect another negative.

Looks like you dodged a bullet- please condom up from here on out.

The Following User Says Thank You to joggen For This Useful Post:
snowy5 (08-26-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-23-2012, 11:48 PM   #3
Facilitator
(male)

Apollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB User

Hi snowy, 99%. Of people will test positive by 6 weeks so your 8 week test is excellent news and it's unlikely to change when you test at 13 weeks and that will be conclusive.

I'm sure this scare will ensure that you use condoms in the future, they really are a must buddy. Try not to worry about your next test, you will be fine.

"Being defeated is only a temporary condition; giving up is what makes it permanent".

The Following User Says Thank You to Apollo123 For This Useful Post:
snowy5 (08-26-2012)
Old 08-24-2012, 11:36 AM   #4
Inactive
(male)

blokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB User

Hi,

I agree, you got lucky this time mate. It is extremely unlikely you will now test positive but HIV testing protocol is such that you should test out to the end of the window period (12 weeks/ 3 months).

Buddy, it goes without saying and I am sure you have said it to yourself many times over but please use condoms. They are not that expensive and can save you a world of pain in future. I wish you well with your final test and you should at this point be expecting negative results.

Kevin.

The Following User Says Thank You to blokecalledkev For This Useful Post:
snowy5 (08-26-2012)
Old 08-26-2012, 08:24 AM   #5
(male)

snowy5 HB User

First of all i want to say thank you to Joggen, Apollo123 and blokecalledkev for your advice and heartwarming words. I've totally learned my lesson. I promise it. I also have something to ask though,,

I forgot to tell that during my window period from my possible exposure which on 15 June 2012, i had another receptive anal sex twice with same person on 19 July 2012, but this time it's protected (twice), both anal and oral. I already confirmed the guy and he also stated that after the intercourse, he checked the condom whether broke or not and found that it didn't. is it affecting my first window period? or no risk at all?

On 24 August 2012, i had CMIA test at my 10 weeks and it turned out non reactive. .
- Is this good indicator that my 12 weeks test will not change? or have you ever met a person that his/her result change after 10 weeks?
- 12 weeks test result is conclusive yes? is it worldwide statement? is it also applicable to the country where i'm living?
- do i have to retest again after 12 weeks? like retest at 6 months? i know some say it's outdated and only for people who take PEP or under hep c med and other reason i don't remember. please explain it and correct me if i'm wrong.

Please answer it and thank you for all the advice and help you've done.
Regards.

Old 08-26-2012, 08:44 AM   #6
Inactive
(male)

blokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB User

Hi,

Your 12 week test will be conclusive and yes 6 month is totally out of date and has been since 2004. No your other sexual encounter will not comprise the result of your confirmation test and does not add any further risk.

Today, in 2012, almost all HIV infections are detected between 2 to 6 weeks after being infected and it is unheard of for a negative result at 6 weeks to later turn positive, let alone a 10 week test. I have never come across anybody who as tested neagtive at 6 weeks and later tested positve.

The only people that may be adviced to test beyond the window period and not necessarily to 6 months are those that have had chemotherapy recently, been on anti rejection drugs after an organ transplant, been long term street drug users or been on HIV prevention medication (PEP).

Buddy you are HIV negative and in still will be so when you take your final test.

Kevin.

The Following User Says Thank You to blokecalledkev For This Useful Post:
snowy5 (08-26-2012)
Old 09-07-2012, 02:31 AM   #7
(male)

snowy5 HB User
Smile Re: really need some advice

Hello again everyone.

Today, 7 September 2012, is exactly 3 months/12 weeks/84 days from the date of my possible exposure. I got tested using vidas test ( don't know whether rapid or duo) at local laboratory and the result is non reactive.

Is it conclusive? Can i move on now? Do i have to re-test again?

Thank you very much

Old 09-07-2012, 02:49 AM   #8
Facilitator
(male)

Apollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB User

Hiya Snowy, thank you for coming back to update us with the good news. Yes your are HIV negative and you do not need to test again. Have a great weekend and dont forget, always rubber up

"Being defeated is only a temporary condition; giving up is what makes it permanent".

Old 09-07-2012, 01:21 PM   #9
Inactive
(male)

Hi,

Thank you for the update. You have not got HIV.

Buddy it is time to move on with your life, you got lucky but well done for getting yourself checked out and please please don’t push your luck any further, ok?

Kevin.

Old 09-08-2012, 06:06 AM   #10
(male)

snowy5 HB User

Yes, thank you so much for everything everyone . I've totally learned my lesson and i promise not to repeat the same mistake again. Once again, thank you everyone.

One last thing, Can my 3 months non reactive result that i got a few days ago being used as the overall result of my sexual activity for the last 3 years? Fyi, my last sexual encounter is protected anal and oral which i''ve described in my post earlier.

Regards.

Last edited by snowy5; 09-08-2012 at 06:17 AM.

Old 09-08-2012, 07:11 AM   #11
Inactive
(male)

Hi,

Yes it gives you a clean slate. If your last sexual encounter was 3 months ago then you did not contract HIV from it or anything further back from this encounter. Buddy regardless of what may have happened years ago, you really have not got HIV.

Kevin.

Old 09-20-2012, 12:58 AM   #12
(male)

snowy5 HB User
Unhappy Re: really need some advice

Hello again everyone, i really need your advice on this.

After my last hiv test non reactive being conclusive on 7th Sept, i took several test for checking STD. I took test at local lab (same place i took test for hiv) for syphilis, gonorhea, chlamydia, herpes, hep b, hep c and all of it came back negative.

Happy with the result, i consulted with the doctor to tell her my result. She said that i'm clean but suggested that i took hiv retest at 6 months. That's the beginning of my concern. I told her that i've look up in forums and stated that test taken at 3 months is conclusive. She agreed with me, but she said that i should retest at 6 months since the test is done by machine (vidas test), so she afraid that there'll be false negative result. She also stated that maybe the test can't detect antibody so therefore i should retest at 6 months.

Here i am, confused and devastated again. I'm speechless. I just getting ready to move on but now have to go back to square one because of her statement..

Here's list of my test that i took exactly after possible exposure :
- 5,5 weeks : cmia test - non reactive
- 8,5 weeks : vidas test - non reactive
- 10 weeks : cmia test - non reactive
- 12 weeks : vidas test - non reactive

during my 5 weeks window period, i had sexual encounter with a man but it's fully protected both anal and oral. already ask the man if the condom broke but it wasn't. so this is totally not affecting my window period right?

my biggest concern is, do i have to retest again? is there any differences if the test taken exactly at 12 weeks post exposure or after 12 weeks? i'm totally screwed up by the doc statement that maybe the machine gave false neg result or my antibody hasn't react yet until 6 months.

and also, how is the calculation for 3 months exactly? is it 12 weeks or 13 weeks? my possible exposure date is 15th june and i counted 12 weeks after that is 7th Sept (correct me if i'm wrong)

Please, give me your advice, and i'm sorry if my writing being over concern. Please understand my situation. Thank you very much.

Last edited by snowy5; 09-20-2012 at 02:18 AM.

Old 09-20-2012, 02:44 AM   #13
Facilitator
(male)

Hi Snowy. Im sorry you met somone who is uneducated on the matter of HIV and has given you this undue concern.

The current CDC guide lines for HIV testing is 3 months, 90 days or 12 weeks and it matters not which one you choose, they are all conclusive. 6 months was outdated in 2004. This testing time applys to all generation of tests if you have any concerns on that matter.

So, its quite simple and only good news, your hiv negative and you do not need to test again for HIV.

Hope that helps

Old 09-20-2012, 03:02 AM   #14
(male)

snowy5 HB User
Unhappy Re: really need some advice

thank you for your advice apollo, however there's things that i'm still concerned though..

- is vidas test realiable at 12 weeks? i'm still concerned bcause her statement that maybe the test machine went wrong or my antibody hasn't react..
- i'm following 12 weeks or 84 days when i took my test. is it ok?
- will someone turns poz after 3 months neg? i have normal immune system, no hep c treatment or transplant though..
- is CDC guidelines apply for worldwide? since i'm livin in indonesia.

thank you for answering it.. i'm sorry for my over concern..

Last edited by snowy5; 09-20-2012 at 03:42 AM.

Old 09-20-2012, 03:39 AM   #15
Facilitator
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowy5 View Post
thank you for your advice apollo, however there's things that i'm still concerned though..

- is vidas test realiable at 12 weeks? i'm still concerned bcause her statement that maybe the test machine went wrong or my antibody hasn't react..
- i'm following 12 weeks or 84 days when i took my test. is it ok?
- will someone turns poz after 3 months neg? i have normal immune system, no hep c treatment or transplant though..

thank you for answering it.. i'm sorry for my over concern..
1. Yes the test is fine. She would not make that statment unless she is a crack pot. But ALL your other tests were negative so you DONT have HIV - fact.

2. That time scale is fine.

3. Yes, hence the cdc guidelines.

You really are HIV negative snowy, their is not one once of concern from my part that you have HIV. If i thought you required further testing i would certainly tell you. Belive your results, be happy you dont have HIV.

Oh, remember, from now on, always use condoms

Closed Thread