It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

HIV Prevention Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-15-2012, 09:27 AM   #1
Inactive
(female)

anxious27 HB User
HIV testing

Hi
I would like to ask about hiv testing. Well I took already a hiv DUO/combo test at 4 weeks (30 days) and this was negative. I am aware of its accuracy thanks to Apollo and Kevin... thanks again guys. So I know that the test is pretty accurate but still, it's only pretty accurate not 100% accurate.

So, I would like to test one more time, and then hopefully I will be able to let it go. I also want to test for other STDs. I know the mark for conclusive hiv test is 3 months so since I only want to have a last visit to the testing centre or the gum clinic, when should I go so that both my std and hiv results are as accurate as possible, but without the need to wait till the 3 months mark? I know the logical answer is 3 months but I just can't wait 3 months. Also, not sure if it matters but I don't have a good immune system basically a little wind gives me cold and flu and I normally take time off work and need to stay in bed. Since the incident I had 6 weeks ago I didn't get ill, didn't have fever (taken temp. every day). So how likely I could still get ill due to hiv when I'm now turning the 6 weeks mark? Or do you think that because i didn't get ill (not even slightly) it's unlikely that I would have the virus?

Why I'm worried is that I am having a little surgery done in local anaesthesia (removal of some body tissue) on thursday and I am afraid that this can trigger any infection that has not yet shown up. I am just afraid that if something goes wrong I will automatically attribute it to hiv and not the operation itself.

If i go on Monday to a centre where they do oral finger ***** test with results in 20 minutes, do you think i can regard the result as conclusive? or should i wait another two weeks and go at 8 weeks? I know the time will pass, it just seems like ages.
Thank you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-15-2012, 10:04 AM   #2
Facilitator
(male)

Apollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB User
Re: HIV testing

Hiya. Well I know it's peace of mind that you need from testing more so than for any medical reason. So a 6 week test is 99% conclusive and I've not heard of a case of it changing positive from that time scale and take in mind that you were not exposed to HIV.

As for your health and the opp, they will not effect your test in any way.

I hope this negative test gives you the peace of mind to move on with your life.

"Being defeated is only a temporary condition; giving up is what makes it permanent".

Old 09-15-2012, 10:22 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

anxious27 HB User

Thank you Apollo.

The coming Monday is 45th day (6 weeks). The rapid test they do will have results in 20 minutes. Or I could go on Friday (49th day) to gum clinic and have hiv and other std's done at the same time. But i would need to wait for the results couple of days. Will the 5 day difference (45, 49 days) have any influence on the accuracy of the test, I mean possibly i could take a rapid on monday and have the std panel done on friday (without hiv)?

Does it matter which of the tests - the rapid one or the lab one, or is it the same?

If i get a negative result, and get ill afterwards, would it be silly to contribute it to hiv? At the same time, I feel really healthy, is there a chance that I would really not get a symptom but was still infected?

Old 09-15-2012, 10:45 AM   #4
Facilitator
(male)

Apollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB User

Personally I go for a rapid test as you don't have to wait, to which I found the hardest part. The rapid test is more likely an insti which is a very good test and widely used in the uk by many private and nhs clinics.

The dates make no difference at all.

If you get I'll after it's certainly not HIV. Even if you exposed to HIV it would be very unlikley indeed anyone would have ars after 6 weeks hence way 6 week testing gives so much importance to your status.

"Being defeated is only a temporary condition; giving up is what makes it permanent".

The Following User Says Thank You to Apollo123 For This Useful Post:
anxious27 (09-16-2012)
Old 09-16-2012, 01:57 AM   #5
Inactive
(female)

anxious27 HB User

Hiya
does it mean that the 6th week test would be even more precise than the duo test I took at 4 weeks? Since that test was negative I thought how good that was (at first). But I haven't realised that i might have been in a window period for p24/antibodies meaning basically that the virus is too low in my body (hence no p24 detected) and since it's too low, my body didn't start creating antibodies yet. I know that it's really not good for me to speculate on this especially with no medical background on that matter...
There's not much out there (internet) on p24 and it's production. Could it be that the duo test is so new and unknown that it's still not clear if it is / is not accurate?

Old 09-16-2012, 04:45 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

joggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB User

A DUO at 4 weeks is about as close to 100% as you're going to get. Many doctors would say it's conclusive, although it hasn't been officially approved as such. You can expect the 6 week to be negative and it will be just as accurate.

The Following User Says Thank You to joggen For This Useful Post:
anxious27 (09-16-2012)
Old 09-16-2012, 05:35 AM   #7
Facilitator
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by anxious27 View Post
Hiya
does it mean that the 6th week test would be even more precise than the duo test I took at 4 weeks? Since that test was negative I thought how good that was (at first). But I haven't realised that i might have been in a window period for p24/antibodies meaning basically that the virus is too low in my body (hence no p24 detected) and since it's too low, my body didn't start creating antibodies yet. I know that it's really not good for me to speculate on this especially with no medical background on that matter...
There's not much out there (internet) on p24 and it's production. Could it be that the duo test is so new and unknown that it's still not clear if it is / is not accurate?
Well let's take in mind that your risk is speculative at best or none existent. So a 99% conclusive test is more than sufficient for this.
It's debatable to which is more accurate between the 2 tests and their testing time scales but facts have proved 6 weeks is as late as nearly all people will test positive at this time scale if they going to test positive.

P24 is the by product of antibodys, so if your in sero but their are not enough antibodys to be picked up on the test then its likely the p24 will. Their is plenty of information about the p24 on a duo test and it's no mystery to how it works, in fact it's quiet simple, just like HIV testing is compared to many other medical conditions. That's why a negative test holds no uncertainity or mystery, only the uneducated and paranoia will find reasons to doudt them.

So basically if you have HIV or have gone through sero you will test positive and I can't recall anyone testing negative at 6 weeks and testing positive later.
In fact all the positive cases I know of tested positive at 4 weeks.

anxious27 (09-16-2012)
Old 09-16-2012, 06:14 AM   #8
Inactive
(female)

anxious27 HB User

Thanks Joggen and Apollo

It makes sense what you say about hiv duo and p24. I'm sure if it didn't work to its intended purpose ie earlier detection, the tests would not be used, or it wouldn't be claimed by doctors that they work. I'll have my test tomorrow and post the result then, hopefully negative.

I hope one day the window period will officially be cut down for the sake of other people's minds.

Old 09-17-2012, 01:21 PM   #9
Inactive
(female)

anxious27 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apollo123 View Post
Well let's take in mind that your risk is speculative at best or none existent. So a 99% conclusive test is more than sufficient for this.
It's debatable to which is more accurate between the 2 tests and their testing time scales but facts have proved 6 weeks is as late as nearly all people will test positive at this time scale if they going to test positive.

So basically if you have HIV or have gone through sero you will test positive and I can't recall anyone testing negative at 6 weeks and testing positive later.
In fact all the positive cases I know of tested positive at 4 weeks.
I went to a walk in clinic to get the rapid hiv test, but unfortunately the clinic has run out of them. The doctor listened to my story, told me how unlikely she thinks it is, and offered to do all the tests incl. hepatis and hiv. She said they do hiv duo now as a standard test, and she said that it's going to be my conclusive result (6 weeks). After I told her I had already an hiv duo done at 4 weeks, which was negative, she told me that I've already tested negative and that I don't have hiv. She was really certain about it. It was really really reassuring but again, it brings a lot of questions like why do some doctors say the duo is conclusive at 4 weeks and others say it's not (in the uk)? Since I have to wait now for a week to get my results, I asked if she could do the rapid test as well, so that i get results today to which she said it would not be worth doing as there could not be enough antibodies to be picked up by the test... which is in contrary to the advice I was given by you guys here. So I'm not saying she or you are incorrect, I am just now confused as she was really certain about the duo but not too much about the antibody test at 6 weeks. Any thoughts on this?

Old 09-17-2012, 01:36 PM   #10
Facilitator
(male)

If you have HIV you can test positive at 22 days, so she is incorrect certainly about 6 weeks as 99% of people will test postive by this time scale. I wasnt their so its hard to say for sure what she meant but thats incorrect. Also a DUO test will have results within 2 days, so not sure where the week comes from.

I do agree with her advise that this event is unlikley to have happened and your next test will be conclusive.

Dont worry, we all know the outcome of the test

Old 09-17-2012, 02:12 PM   #11
Inactive
(female)

anxious27 HB User

I might have misunderstood her... I think what she tried to say was that from those two options ie normal antibody and duo test i should opt for the duo,since this would cover both ab and ag but not sure if im right. There certainly is a lot of misinformation about hiv and one really needs to be careful especially with google and sites with no moderation etc.

A week seems like ages but i guess thats becase they do different tests for all stds and each takes different time so they say 7 days to everyone and probably are really busy too so that people dont complain they say one week.

Well me too i hope everything will be negative which would be pretty much reassuring to me that nothing bad happened that night, although i already probably know that nothing happened but just want to be on the safe side since i was having such extreme feelings about it. You never know.

Old 09-17-2012, 02:23 PM   #12
Facilitator
(male)

I think you may done so, but im sure by friday you will have the results, but you can ring them up in a day or to for the results of the DUO test. The hep tests will take 7 days for sure.

Really dont worry, your going to be negative, their is not a concern in my mind.

Old 09-19-2012, 12:13 PM   #13
Inactive
(female)

anxious27 HB User

Hiya

well good new today - I couldn't take the wait so I rang the clinic and they already had all my test results back - so I tested negative for everything that they screened me for (chlamydia, gonorrhea, syfillis, hep B and mainly - HIV). For HIV they used the 4th generation duo test and this was at exactly 43 days from that night. The previous I took at 30 days, duo, was negative too. Both tests were tests done in a lab (not rapid). I know it was said zillion times that 6 week result is unlikely to change. And given the fact it was a duo, is the accuracy even better?

Ok, so this pretty much proves that probably, very unlikely, anything sexual happened to me (I want to think). So obviously if I didn't have sex that night, it's impossible I got HIV.

If I did have sex that night (with somebody who I don't know hiv status), would one of the tests pick that up until now?

And if I did have sex that night with a hiv positive person, would that be picked up by now as well or would the 12 week window apply?

Would the other std tests be possitive at this timescale, if there was anything? In other words, can I be relieved, worry free and certain that HIV (mainly) and other STD is not my concern, and I don't need any further testing?

Old 09-19-2012, 12:49 PM   #14
Facilitator
(male)

Well you know what im going say, you didnt need to test, you have and your tests are conclusive for everything. I would honestly just put this behind you now anc not give it another thought.

To put your mind at rest in more detail in the hope that it will help you move on.

The odds of you havd sex without you knowing, less than 1%
Meeting some one with hiv, less than 1%
Getting hiv from a one time exposure, less than 1%
Testing postive after 6 weeks, less than 1 %

So if you did the maths, then you having hiv gives more chance of winning the lottery 3 weeks running.

Really no logical way could you belive you need to test further let alone test in the first place, so please think about this and use common sence.

Hope that concludes everything

The following user gives a hug of support to Apollo123:
anxious27 (09-19-2012)
anxious27 (09-19-2012)
Old 09-19-2012, 01:46 PM   #15
Inactive
(female)

anxious27 HB User

Apollo,

you don't know how relieved I feel! This really was terrible time thinking about "what ifs" I must be mental. I'm sure if I go to my gp and tell her all about this she will send me to shrink (and maybe i should take her offer). Your example, well that's a good illustration BUT if you're in a state of mind when being totally paranoid you would know how easy it is to create what looks like a movie a la david lynch.

Deep breath now and back to my life!

Really want to say THANK YOU for your support. I'd love to buy you a pint but not possible in the virtual world we live today and besides, I'm seriously cutting my drinks down. You do a great job, you must be a great person, thank you so much!

Closed Thread