It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

HIV Prevention Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-18-2012, 08:47 PM   #1
(male)

nervousinUT HB User
Need advice about testing window

I am in need of some clarification regarding testing window and accuracy:

I have received a negative rapid HIV blood test (clearview complete 1/2) at 94 days.

I was under the impression that it was pretty much conclusive post 90 days, but the Hiv counselor was adamant that it was only 95% and that I needed to retest at 6 months. The cdc still states on its website that only 97% of people have seroconverted at 90 days, and that followup testing is still warranted. In England and Canada its only 12 weeks (84 days) for it to be conclusive so why do so many otherwise reputable agencies have such different reccomendations if its all so clear cut? Do rapid test have different windows?

I have been told my risk was very low (genital rubbing with no insertion) but lingering symptoms, sore red throat for 7 weeks, and lymph nodes (verified by a physcian) all starting within the right time frame have unnerved me quite a bit.

So do I need to continue testing? Do I need to have a lab based test run? Can I move on and chalk everything up to coincedence?

Any advice would be appreciated

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-18-2012, 11:43 PM   #2
Facilitator
(male)

Apollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB User
Re: Need advice about testing window

You have already been given the advice in your first thread, so their was no need to start a second one about the same topic.

1. You had zero risk of hiv.
2. 3 months is conclusive.
3. 6 months only applys to people who are on anti rejection medication for a new organ, been a long time iv drug user or on aggresive chemo.

You really do not need to test for hiv again its that simple. i hope that helps

"Being defeated is only a temporary condition; giving up is what makes it permanent".

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-19-2012, 02:11 AM   #3
Inactive
(male)

blokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB User
Re: Need advice about testing window

Hi,

Buddy you seem to be getting quite a bit of wrong information here and I am guessing this is adding to your concern. First and quite importantly you were nowhere near a risk of an HIV infection and did not even need to test for HIV over this incident. HIV is an extremely fragile virus and requires a precise environment and conditions for it to pose the slightest risk of infection. This environment and the conditions required only exist within the confines of the human body, which is the only place HIV remains infectious. Once exposed to air the outer shell of this virus is instantly damaged and it is rendered non-viable (non-infectious), so any bodily fluids outside of the human body will pose absolute zero risk of an infection. You were absolutely not at risk of HIV infection ever if the woman had HIV, which in itself is extremely unlikely.

You do not need to test out to 6 months (you did not even need to test at all), all HIV tests, regardless of generation at conclusive at 12 weeks. Buddy the only thing you are in danger of here by over testing like you are doing is getting a false positive result (this is when test returns a positive result even though the person as not got HIV). It happens, for your own sake don’t let it happen to you and stop needlessly testing, you have not got HIV. I say this out of concern for you but you are grossly over reacting and grossly over testing.

You really don’t have a HIV concern here and to be honest you really should do yourself a massive favour and put this to bed and move on with your life.

Kevin.

Last edited by blokecalledkev; 09-19-2012 at 04:17 AM.

Closed Thread