It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

HIV Prevention Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-26-2012, 11:21 AM   #1
(male)

letmebefree HB User
Acute HIV possibility? :(

Ok, so let me start from the beginning...

It was August. Me and my new girlfriend engaged in mutual oral sex. Everything was great. I felt loved again as it has been a year since i've really dated anyone. But there was one problem...

The next day, or either two days after, I noticed what seemed to be a small blister on my penile shaft. It was accompanied with flu like symptoms (sore throat, fatigue, runny nose and mucus) that made me leave work. I took a lot of chloraseptic.

After researching up on this weird blister on my penis, I got nervous and immediately went to Patient First and got full STD testing. I also got my blister cultured for herpes.

Well, turns out everything came back negative across the board. My viral culture included. I automatically knew that if I caught something I would have to have been infected by my girlfriend.

I was put on an antibiotic (ammoxicilin) and nasal spray after my test results came back because I still didn't feel well. Now the antibiotic did cause diarrhea but it help clear my sinuses a lot.

My girlfriend got tested and her results were positive for chlamydia. Everything else came back negative, however. I assumed this must be the problem and we both got treated for it. However, my results ended up being negative for chlamydia anyways..

Now here is the strange part....

I have experienced EXTREME anxiety over the whole situation. muscle aches, sore throat, headaches, fatigue, all that could have been self inflicted.

But what bothers me the MOST is that I still have a bit of an irritated throat, little red pimple like bumps on my arms, and random aches in my arms that make me paranoid. I do a bit of heavy lifting at work so I wonder if that contributes to my muscle aches, but i'm not sure. This is when I became fearful of possibly having Acute HIV symptoms.

Now my girlfriend said her last sexual encounter before me was in March. So, she tested late August. Wouldn't HIV or Herpes show up in about a five month (close to six month) window?

And when she got tested again last week, her results came back negative for everything. But here's the thing.... the doctor told her she didn't need to retest for HIV. So everything is negative but she didn't retest for HIV...

So here I am now a little anxious over everything wondering if I'm overthinking it. I was so sure it was herpes after noticing the blister but the persistent sore throat and muscle aches make me question if it could actually be HIV.

HIV from oral? She is supposed to be getting another test for HIV tomorrow so I am just praying that it comes back negative. Either way im still getting tested in Nov and again in Feb (3 and 6 months after possible exposure). Could she have a false negative test at 5 months? Could the antibiotic or nasal spray be causing these late symptoms? Isn't a penis blister indicative of a viral infection? Can Acute HIV infection cause a penis blister in two to three days? Could her test have brought up a false negative? What could it be?

Things to note: The area where I had that blister seems to sometimes itch or burn a little bit. I've also felt nausea and been sleeping a lot more than usual. All of my doctors tell me not to worry about HIV but it doesn't explain the penis blister.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-26-2012, 12:43 PM   #2
Facilitator
(male)

Apollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB User
Re: Acute HIV possibility? :(

Oral sex is not a risk of HIV and that has been proven over 30 years buddy and you should listen to your doctors. Best of luck

"Being defeated is only a temporary condition; giving up is what makes it permanent".

The Following User Says Thank You to Apollo123 For This Useful Post:
letmebefree (09-26-2012)
Old 09-26-2012, 01:10 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

smiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB User

you should have no hiv concerns.
your doctors are correct
put your focus in another direction.
good luck

The Following User Says Thank You to smiteler For This Useful Post:
letmebefree (09-26-2012)
Old 09-26-2012, 01:11 PM   #4
Inactive
(male)

blokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB User

Hi,

Yes buddy you are over thinking this and to be honest you are also over reacting. As Apollo points out HIV is not transmitted by oral sex even if you girlfriend had it, which she clearly as not. She tested negative at 5 months, there is zero chance of a false negative this far outside the window period ( which is 3 months and as been since 2004), as in absolutely zero chance. The only reason false negatives occur is if people test too early.

Your ailments and symptoms cannot be commented on within this setting other than to say they categorically and unequivocally have nothing to do with HIV and they do not even resemble in the slightest the symptoms of a primary HIV. This is because it is not there.

And yes you really should listen to your doctor.

Kevin.

Last edited by blokecalledkev; 09-26-2012 at 01:12 PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to blokecalledkev For This Useful Post:
letmebefree (09-26-2012)
Old 09-26-2012, 01:54 PM   #5
(male)

letmebefree HB User

Thank you guys so much. I didn't know whether to consider my symptoms from anxiety or the HIV infection. I know when my anxiety dropped I felt better, only left with occasional muscle aches (which could be from heavy lifting and stress) and a slightly irritated throat (season change, or something)

Honestly I was at peace with possibly having HIV after about a month of stress. Now to realize I probably don't have it at all, it is a very humbling thought.

I will definitely let you guys know the results of my test regardless. But since she tested negative across the board, I shouldn't really be worried.

Thanks again and I will check back around Nov - Feb

Old 10-05-2012, 12:54 PM   #6
(male)

letmebefree HB User

Hey you guys.

I don't know if I had already mentioned this but my girlfriend has tested negative all across the board, which is a great sign!

She tested again for HIV on Thursday just to figure out where she stands. She said since her last sexual encounter (before me) was in February or March, i'm assuming her results will come back completely accurate.

But i'm mainly here or another concern.

I don't understand why I'm still experiencing temporary periods of throat irritation, diarrhea, and sudden muscle aches in both of my arms. I have really cut back on my anxiety but these things still make me a little anxious.

I know all I really need to do is wait a week for my girlfriend's HIV results. I trust her and I know I also will receive these same test again in two months and around February. It's just finding out her results will really indicate what may be wrong with me.

I'm trying hard not to let it bother me but it always pops back up in my head. I know you guys say oral isn't a risk but im very pessimistic and I need proof. This test has to pull it if she were to have it (God forbid)

Old 10-06-2012, 01:02 AM   #7
Facilitator
(male)

Apollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB User

You dont need to wait for her results you were not at risk of HIV. AS to what else is wrong with you, well see a doctor buddy because we cannot help you on that front.

Best of luck

"Being defeated is only a temporary condition; giving up is what makes it permanent".

Closed Thread