It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

HIV Prevention Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-04-2012, 06:09 AM   #1
(female)

Kimmy89 HB User
I just did a HIV RNA PCR Test, can anyone help evaluating the results?

Hi there,

I had unprotected sex 4 weeks ago, had a RNA PCR test done after 27 days. I know it's not a diagnostic test, but I wanted to check if there are any HIV Ag present.

I got my HIV RNA PCR Cobas Ampliprep/Taqman Results, but I am quite confused about the whole viral load and the conclusion of the results.

Below is the results I received, can I know if it means I am HIV positive or negative?

RESULTS IN COPIES/mL Comments

1. Target not detected. Sample provided does not contain HIV-RNA1

2.< 20 HIV-1 RNA detected, bt below the lower limit of
linear range of the assay. These results should
be interpreted with caution.

3. >=20 to 1.0 x 10 ^7 HIV -1 RNA detected within the linear range of
the assay

4. >=1.0 to 10 ^7 HIV -1 RNA detected above the linear range of
the assay.

Are the HIV amounts detected as viral loads, or does that mean that I am positive?

Thanks.

Old 10-05-2012, 02:15 AM   #2
Facilitator
(male)

Apollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB User
Re: I just did a HIV RNA PCR Test, can anyone help evaluating the results?

Hiya KImmy, well it is a dyagnostic test used more for testing of viral loads and not use to confirm your HIV status. A simple antibody test would have been better for you at that time scale and a lot cheaper. Remember you can get them free at the gum clinic and they will give you the information that you require and support.

As for your test, well im not sure what they have or have not told you because your report would have given you more detail and certainly confirmed your status.

The good news is your negative from those figuers. Dont worry about the numbers you will always have them, if you didnt the test would not have worked.

You need a follow up test at 3 months to confirm your status and you should test for all std's as well. This can all be done at a GUM clinic if you wish.

Hope that helps.

"Being defeated is only a temporary condition; giving up is what makes it permanent".

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-05-2012, 04:44 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

joggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB User

I can't really tell from what you posted because I don't see the actual numbers. 1-4 appear to be guidelines for interpreting the results. Did you forget to include something?

Old 10-18-2012, 09:31 AM   #4
(female)

Kimmy89 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apollo123 View Post
Hiya KImmy, well it is a dyagnostic test used more for testing of viral loads and not use to confirm your HIV status. A simple antibody test would have been better for you at that time scale and a lot cheaper. Remember you can get them free at the gum clinic and they will give you the information that you require and support.

As for your test, well im not sure what they have or have not told you because your report would have given you more detail and certainly confirmed your status.

The good news is your negative from those figuers. Dont worry about the numbers you will always have them, if you didnt the test would not have worked.

You need a follow up test at 3 months to confirm your status and you should test for all std's as well. This can all be done at a GUM clinic if you wish.

Hope that helps.

Does that mean that the comment on number 1 indicates that I am negative, as for now?

Old 10-18-2012, 09:34 AM   #5
(female)

Kimmy89 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by joggen View Post
I can't really tell from what you posted because I don't see the actual numbers. 1-4 appear to be guidelines for interpreting the results. Did you forget to include something?
There is a comment right on top of the lab results, in a box that states :

TEST NAME : HIV-1 RNA QUALITATIVE, REAL TIME PCR
Result : Target not detected

I included everything that's typed on the paper.

Old 10-18-2012, 07:17 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

joggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB User

Thanks for the clarification- that is a negative result. Have an antibody test 3 months post exposure- expect another negative.

Old 11-18-2012, 06:12 PM   #7
(female)

Kimmy89 HB User

hi guys, it's the 10 th week now. I know I did a rna pcr test and based on the response I got,, it turned out negative earlier, but I have flu +sore throat +running nose now on the 10th week,

Should I be worried or it might be some viral normal flu thing going on?

Thanks.

Old 11-18-2012, 06:27 PM   #8
Inactive
(male)

blokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB User

Hi,

You really should stop taking PCR tests. These tests are not approved for HIV diagnostics, they are prone to false positives and any result from one of these tests has to be confirmed by an HIV antibody test.

If you are going to test for HIV, please have the correct test, an HIV antibody tests not a viral load test.

Although you have taken the wrong test and although it is not a test used for HIV diagnostics, it is extremely reliable. Please do yourself a huge favour, stop paying through the nose for the wrong test and simply have an HIV antibody test.

And no a runny nose does not indicate the presence of HIV.

Kevin.

Last edited by blokecalledkev; 11-18-2012 at 06:29 PM.

Closed Thread