It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

HIV Prevention Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-04-2012, 08:25 AM   #1
Inactive
(female)

anxious27 HB User
HIV at a dentist - is it possible?

Hi, I've recently (2 weeks) ago visited a dentist and he did polish and clean, two fillings and gave me two jabs. Is it possible this would put me under risk of HIV? I know it's probably my fault, I should have asked him about their hygiene standards prior I let him do anything in my mouth. The problem is, I dont know if the needle for the anesthesics was for one use, or if he reused one needle for all patients. Also I haven't checked the equipment. There was an assistant though who was passing him things, so I want to believe she has sterilised them. Before me there was another lady. The dentist had gloves, but he is a new dentist of mine, it was my first visit. My questions are:
- is it possible I would get infected by hiv at a dentist
- are the jab needles for one use, or are they used repeatedly
- if they are used repeatedly and a previous patient is hiv+ can it be transmitted to the next patient (myself)? I went 5 minutes after.
- should I call the dentist and ask him?
- does this create the need to test?

PS: this was at a private clinic in greater london, with only one doctor, one assistant and a receptionist. The doctor has 30 years experience (according to his website).

I'm now really worried (again).

Old 10-04-2012, 08:33 AM   #2
Facilitator
(male)

Apollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB User
Re: HIV at a dentist - is it possible?

They dont re-use needles, they cost less than a penny each so why would they? not to mention they are trained not to.

You need to get help for your HIV obession, i mean this is a nice way, so please dont get me wrong but you cant keep thinking your going to get HIV, its just not normal.

Please get some help.

"Being defeated is only a temporary condition; giving up is what makes it permanent".

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-04-2012, 09:09 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

anxious27 HB User

I know. I dont think its normal either but i cant help it and i dont know why.
You think the needles are really for one use only? Because the needle was really big not sure if he would replace it. Say he didnt would it infect the next patient? Its all my fault i have put myself under risk i should have been more careful and ask questions before not after.
What about the equipment that surely is for repeted use.

Old 10-04-2012, 09:59 AM   #4
Facilitator
(male)

Apollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB User

I have just told you, they would NEVER re-use needles. Your only fault is not getting help for your phobia, please get some help.

"Being defeated is only a temporary condition; giving up is what makes it permanent".

Old 10-04-2012, 11:39 AM   #5
Inactive
(female)

anxious27 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apollo123 View Post
I have just told you, they would NEVER re-use needles. Your only fault is not getting help for your phobia, please get some help.
I should i really feel like talking to somebody. So is it really impossible to get infected by dentists equipment or by the needle? Are all needles for one use?

If it wasnt replaced would it still pose a risk for hiv? I really hope not coz we are not in a third world country. I never had any injections or anything in my life in the pasr 27 years and certsinly not for tooth fillings but the doctor insisted that he needs to give me the jabs against the pain..

Old 10-04-2012, 01:18 PM   #6
Facilitator
(male)

really they would not use them again but please get help for this hiv issue you have. This forum is not a place for ocd hiv issues, but then its quiet sad to see somone so concerned about this.

So the last time, please and do not be afraid of this, please get help because we can not help you with this.

Old 10-04-2012, 02:30 PM   #7
Inactive
(female)

anxious27 HB User

Apollo I know, and I will find somebody to talk to about this, but I just need some facts. I got the facts on hiv and the test windows and test results, opinions on hep and other sti and now the last thing that remains unclear to me is the injection at dentist. Why do I think that I can't explain. It was just one little thought which spread into all this. If I could just know that even if they did reuse needles it would not be possible to catch hiv because it should die in the air, is it correct? and even if the equipment wouldn't be sterile, the time when the blood is exposed to air between 1st and 2nd patient would have made the virus to die, is it correct? I wanna believe they always use a new needle but the fact is that I don't know this, because I didn't see him taking a new needle, so I have to assume the needle was reused.

Old 10-04-2012, 03:11 PM   #8
Facilitator
(male)

They never use needles that have been used, they put them in a yellow box. I have had more blood taken in the last 12 months than i care for and not once would have i been concerned and you should not be either. its not right and it would not happen, time to forget about this.

Old 10-04-2012, 03:23 PM   #9
Inactive
(female)

anxious27 HB User

But it was not a blood test.

He injected a very large needle in my gum (twice). I know that needles should not be reused but what if he did reuse? What if it was an expensive needle, because it was really long? Would this one be reused? Or the syringe, could it contained some infectious substance?

I really think that my worrying is justified, and I know a lot of people are worried about this too. It just never occurred to me that it would be a risk until now when I began to feel ill and I just wonder why.

Closed Thread