It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

HIV Prevention Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-31-2012, 12:57 AM   #1
(male)

Ezyrider26 HB User
HIV Risk and Testing

Hi all, appreciate your advise please.

My risk is unprotected hand job at a massage parlor (I have HSV but no sores in penis during the exposure)

I am really feeling very worried about this incident and the only way to console myself is to get tested. So my question is when should I get tested? 6 weeks or 12 weeks?

Looking forward to hear from anyone of you soon please. Thank you.

Old 10-31-2012, 10:02 AM   #2
Inactive
(male)

blokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB User
Re: HIV Risk and Testing

Hi,

Buddy you really have no reason at all to test for HIV over this incident. HIV is an extremely fragile virus that only remains infectious within the confines of the human body. Once exposed to air the outer shell is instantly damaged so it cannot posse the slightest risk outside of the body. It is not transmitted by hand to genital contact, regardless of cuts or sores. In the entire 30 years plus HIV has been around it has never been transmitted this way.

If this is really eating you up, you can take an HIV test anytime you like. Regardless of when you do so the result will be inevitably negative. For peace of mind a test at between 4 to 6 weeks will give extremely accurate reflection of an HIV status had you actually been at risk ( which you did not).

Kevin.

The Following User Says Thank You to blokecalledkev For This Useful Post:
Ezyrider26 (10-31-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-31-2012, 05:32 PM   #3
(male)

Ezyrider26 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by blokecalledkev View Post
Hi,

Buddy you really have no reason at all to test for HIV over this incident. HIV is an extremely fragile virus that only remains infectious within the confines of the human body. Once exposed to air the outer shell is instantly damaged so it cannot posse the slightest risk outside of the body. It is not transmitted by hand to genital contact, regardless of cuts or sores. In the entire 30 years plus HIV has been around it has never been transmitted this way.

If this is really eating you up, you can take an HIV test anytime you like. Regardless of when you do so the result will be inevitably negative. For peace of mind a test at between 4 to 6 weeks will give extremely accurate reflection of an HIV status had you actually been at risk ( which you did not).

Kevin.
Hi Kevin,

Thank you very much for your assurance. I had met with 2 doctors and they had informed me that I was never at risk. I have also read about this online as well and all of them suggest that I was never at risk.

Even with all this assurance, I am still very shaken about the whole incident. Do you think 4 - 6 weeks is enough for a test? Some suggest that I wait for 12 weeks to get a conclusive result.

Also, do you know how I could move on and stop worrying?

Thank you once again Kevin. Appreciate your time and patience.

Old 10-31-2012, 06:53 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

joggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB User

You're having trouble getting over this because you have had a sexual encounter which you regret, and probably feel guilty over. Guilt and regret are often interpreted by the brain in the same way as being infected with something, so you are conflating the two. You should try to understand that your feelings over this encounter are entirely separate from your risk for HIV. Feeling guilty over HIV is not going to make the virus magically infect you, and testing is not going to clear your conscious (although it may alleviate your HIV anxiety). Since you never had a risk, it really doesn't matter when you test. Any test will confirm that you never had a risk.

Last edited by joggen; 10-31-2012 at 06:53 PM.

The following user gives a hug of support to joggen:
Ezyrider26 (10-31-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to joggen For This Useful Post:
Ezyrider26 (10-31-2012)
Old 10-31-2012, 07:04 PM   #5
(male)

Ezyrider26 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by joggen View Post
You're having trouble getting over this because you have had a sexual encounter which you regret, and probably feel guilty over. Guilt and regret are often interpreted by the brain in the same way as being infected with something, so you are conflating the two. You should try to understand that your feelings over this encounter are entirely separate from your risk for HIV. Feeling guilty over HIV is not going to make the virus magically infect you, and testing is not going to clear your conscious (although it may alleviate your HIV anxiety). Since you never had a risk, it really doesn't matter when you test. Any test will confirm that you never had a risk.
Dear Joggen,

Thank you for your explanation. I guess the whole thought of getting HIV is just killing me..even though I did not have any risk. Maybe its the trauma as this was my first ever encounter. I really hope that I can shake off my fears and realise that it is impossible to get HIV based on my exposure.

Closed Thread