It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

HIV Prevention Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-10-2012, 09:39 AM   #1
Inactive
(male)

insanityisme1 HB User
Any advice would be great

I have been a stupid stupid person! I had anal sex with a man I met once or twice for the first time nearly 6 weeks ago ad I am in a total fluster and state of confusion. I was drunk, not out of it drunk, but even so drink none the less. I was the receiver - we used a condom, but because of the drink I had no idea whether it was in tact or not during/after the event, I've never had unprotected sex before so I'm not sure I'd know of any difference if something did happen .. Anyway, these thoughts hit me afterwards and I've literally been making myself (physically) sick everyday since with worry.

I went to freedom health clinic in London where dr Sean and dr Jose work, I know they do a lot of forum work for people like this one too and their advice is great, however I am in so much doubt.
I had a negative 4th gen p24 antigen and antibody test at 29 days - dr at the clinic told me this was conclusive and I did not have hiv - great!

Although all I have heard and read elsewhere is that no test is solid until 3 months. The drs at the clinic tell me this only refers to older 3rd gen antibody tests and not the one I had. This settled me a little. I had a full std health screen at my gum on day 30 again which included a 4th gen ag/ab test - are these called the duo tests? I think they are, which came back neg. the nurse then worried me again as she said they only pick up 95% of infections.

What do I do? Based on my risk am I safe to trust two negative 4th gen tests after 28 days as conclusive as dr Sean and dr Jose said? Would you guys be worried at all if this was you? Can I move on with confidence?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-10-2012, 01:03 PM   #2
Facilitator
(male)

Apollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB User
Re: Any advice would be great

Well you have information from hiv experts, so all i can add is that when you test at 12 weeks your huv conclusive.

"Being defeated is only a temporary condition; giving up is what makes it permanent".

Old 11-10-2012, 01:17 PM   #3
Inactive
(male)

insanityisme1 HB User

Do you think I need to test? Would you test if this was you? :/ is my risk that significant?

Old 11-10-2012, 05:56 PM   #4
Inactive
(male)

blokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB User

This is your call.

The doctors who advised you are HIV experts and their advice is solid. On HIV boards however, because there are no experts, the advice is and remains within the confines of the official guidelines. That being an HIV test is not conclusive until 3 months/12 weeks. Having said this, having been on HIV boards for the last 6 years I have never heard of anybody testing negative at 6 weeks and later testing positive.

Give your extremely low risk and your extremely accurate test result, I am inclined to agree with the advice you have ben given and it is extremely unlikely you will test positive later on. But for complete peace of mind a 12 week test would be the call I would make. This test would be absolutely and unequivocally conclusive and would undoubtedly be negative.

Kevin.

Closed Thread