It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

HIV Prevention Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-15-2012, 11:07 AM   #1
(female)

foolishmistake HB User
A Genuine Concern

I am posting again as my suffering in silence is having an effect whether I want to admit it to myself or not; I shall explain.

I posted a year and maybe 4 months ago explaining an encounter which put me at risk of not just HIV but other STI/Ds as well. The encounter was where I drunkenly attempted to have sex with a man much older than me and that I didn't know very well, there was no condom used and three times he tried to enter me but didn't go inside because it hurt and being a virgin it just wasnt easy. I feared that maybe through his precum/*** I could have contracted something because immediately a day after this encounter I became violently ill, I was having throbbing night sweats, fever, sore throat, temperature, diarrhoea and the random feelings like I would faint. I went straight to hospital and they told me I was really anxious but I was still too embarassed to explain to them my fear and they ran several tests and told me I was severely deyhrdated and put me on a drip. I was terrfied, it could have been the copious amount of alcohol that I had drunk that had caused this or perhaps that maybe he had HIV and I had caught it and my body had just reacted negatively to it. Unfortunately I have been very drunk before to the point where I had even vomitted the same night of drinking but I would wake up the next day as if I hadn't been out the night before. So for my body to respond this way was scaring me further.
I ran straight to the GUM clinic after the hospital and everyone there told me I have low risk blah blah, gave me morning after pill just in case took urine samples and told me they would get back to me. I also did a rapid test but it was negative, but of course too early.

A week later all tests came back negative, positive for yeast infection and didn't attempt another rapid test because again too early. After worrying about it for a few more months, I read up as much as I could on HIV but due to moving away for school I never retested. I went back to the GUM clinic on two occassions when I could muster the strength and found them closed.

I write now, a year later I have noticed symptoms that have caused me to be really concerned. Most of the year I noticed that say I am rushing for the bus or a train or just going from A to B, I would be drenched in my own sweat. My make up would literally be dripping off of my face (something I have never experienced before) just the slight movement or activity and I would be sweating. Just yesterday I left my home and realised I forgot something ran back in and come out and found my clothes sticking to me, it's freezing winter! I have started to notice random dark patches of dry skin appearing randomly on my body, on my chest and I spotted one now on my wrist. Often I have night sweats not so much that my sheets are drenched but I am extremely hot and bothered. I get flu and colds all the time and they last a week longer than they used to. I am constantly tired and of recent I have been feeling so light headed that I could pass out at any time. I am soo scared. I want to know the answer for this but I am too scared that I won't be able to handle the truth. HELP!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-15-2012, 11:40 AM   #2
Facilitator
(male)

Apollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB User
Re: A Genuine Concern

Am i correct that you tested negative for HIV?

"Being defeated is only a temporary condition; giving up is what makes it permanent".

Old 11-15-2012, 03:47 PM   #3
(female)

foolishmistake HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apollo123 View Post
Am i correct that you tested negative for HIV?
Only a week after the exposure so I am right to ignore that result?

Old 11-15-2012, 06:15 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

SOTM HB UserSOTM HB UserSOTM HB UserSOTM HB UserSOTM HB UserSOTM HB UserSOTM HB UserSOTM HB UserSOTM HB UserSOTM HB UserSOTM HB User

Symptoms can never be used to diagnose or suspect HIV. If symptoms of acute HIV are felt it is within 10-20 days from infection. Not the day after and not over a year after. You were told then it was low risk( I would say extremely low risk, if any), so don't write that off as "blah, blah". The chance he actually had HIV were extremely low. The cahnce you would of contracted it with full penetrative sex if he was infected would be 1 in 1000 exposures average. You did not have full penetrative sex thoguh.

Just go for a test. Not wanting to take a test becuase you are scared of the result is silly. The odds are astronomically in your favor that you are fine.

Old 11-15-2012, 10:40 PM   #5
Facilitator
(male)

Apollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by foolishmistake View Post
Only a week after the exposure so I am right to ignore that result?
Yes and no. Its all depends if you had sex. If you did, it sounds as sotm said such a low risk indeed. Take in mind that less that 1% of the UK have HIV and from a one time exposure the odds make it very unlikley to happen from one occasion.

If you didnt have sex then yes i wouldnt even give it another thought.

If as i suspect this is stressing you, just go back to the gum clinic and get tested or you can go private and take a rapid test and get results in 15 minutes. Some gum clinics offer that test, but not often.

"Being defeated is only a temporary condition; giving up is what makes it permanent".

Old 11-16-2012, 09:43 AM   #6
(female)

foolishmistake HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOTM View Post
Symptoms can never be used to diagnose or suspect HIV. If symptoms of acute HIV are felt it is within 10-20 days from infection. Not the day after and not over a year after. You were told then it was low risk( I would say extremely low risk, if any), so don't write that off as "blah, blah". The chance he actually had HIV were extremely low. The cahnce you would of contracted it with full penetrative sex if he was infected would be 1 in 1000 exposures average. You did not have full penetrative sex thoguh.

Just go for a test. Not wanting to take a test becuase you are scared of the result is silly. The odds are astronomically in your favor that you are fine.
Thank you for your response, I wish to truly absorb what you are saying and just take the plunge and well, take the test. I really want to because then should be right that I am negative then I can go and seek the appropriate medical attention that I feel that I need but until then, it's just a horrible place to be mentally

Old 11-16-2012, 09:48 AM   #7
(female)

foolishmistake HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apollo123 View Post
Yes and no. Its all depends if you had sex. If you did, it sounds as sotm said such a low risk indeed. Take in mind that less that 1% of the UK have HIV and from a one time exposure the odds make it very unlikley to happen from one occasion.

If you didnt have sex then yes i wouldnt even give it another thought.

If as i suspect this is stressing you, just go back to the gum clinic and get tested or you can go private and take a rapid test and get results in 15 minutes. Some gum clinics offer that test, but not often.

I did not have full penetrative sex, we just attempted on several yet seperate occassions to without any protection and it's from those instances that makes me have this fear, as although he didn't *** - i think there may have been precum and that's why I am scared. Plus the symptoms alone are enough to make me scared; ive never felt that way before

Old 11-16-2012, 09:57 AM   #8
Facilitator
(male)

Well then you were not at risk from HIV. Of course if your going to worrying over this then just take a test for peace of mind. The solution to all your answers is in your control

Closed Thread