It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

HIV Prevention Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-15-2012, 06:16 PM   #1
(female)

Louisk HB User
Please help

Hello, I engaged in very high risk behaviour and following that I have had every symptom of HIV. I just got my 9 week antibody test back and it's negative. Do you reckon it's a good indication I am or will the 12 week one say otherwise. Thanks in advance

Old 11-15-2012, 06:19 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

SOTM HB UserSOTM HB UserSOTM HB UserSOTM HB UserSOTM HB UserSOTM HB UserSOTM HB UserSOTM HB UserSOTM HB UserSOTM HB UserSOTM HB User
Re: Please help

In basic, what was your risk?

Most every expert will say a 6 plus week antibody is almsot unheard of to cahnge. A 9 week is even more accurate than that, I would not be at all worried and would do the 12 week/3 month as a formality

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-15-2012, 06:32 PM   #3
(female)

Louisk HB User

Thank you for your reply. I engaged it to bouts of sex and one was anal which caused a tear. I did not think about HIV symptoms but as I was reading up on it I realised that I have had every symptom. Not all at once but starting at 4 weeks exposure. A pimply itchy rash over torso and arm. Swollen glands neck , armpits and groin. I also have had stiffness in neck and back pain too. I felt generally unwell at one point. Dizzy spells to the point I have to sit down and also really bad nausea to the point I have to lie down. Also feeling really tired . Am I still at risk? I'm so scared. I got tested for everything all negative. These 3 weeks are going to be so long for me I can't cope. I must have it. All the symptoms add up . I hope antibody tests are good at 9 weeks .

Old 11-15-2012, 07:02 PM   #4
(female)

Louisk HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOTM View Post

Most every expert will say a 6 plus week antibody is almsot unheard of to cahnge. A 9 week is even more accurate than that, I would not be at all worried and would do the 12 week/3 month as a formality
That's good. Do you reckon even though every symptom I have had relates to HIV though is an indication I will test postive in 3 weeks. Due to the fact I have had symptoms does this mean my body would be producing anti bodies due to the swollen lymph glands I had? So antibodies would be showing in my blood by now? So maybe there is still a chance I am negative?

Old 11-15-2012, 07:14 PM   #5
(female)

Louisk HB User

Quote:

Old 11-15-2012, 07:27 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

SOTM HB UserSOTM HB UserSOTM HB UserSOTM HB UserSOTM HB UserSOTM HB UserSOTM HB UserSOTM HB UserSOTM HB UserSOTM HB UserSOTM HB User

Was the sex you had protected, in other words was a condom used?

There are no symptoms that relate to HIV, they are so non specific that tehy can be caused by literally any common illness. If they do happen, they are 10-20 days post exposure...again, they can never be used to diagnose HIV, only a blood test can. That said, if anyhting you experienced up to the blood test had been caused by HIV, it would have caused a positive antibody test.

Really buddy, you should relax.....the chances of your 9 week test changing are extremely remote. I only know numbers to 6 weeks....a 4 week test is 90% accurate, a 5 week 95%, a 6 week is 99%+ accurate. So you can imagine what a 9 week would be. The average time to test positive is 21-23 days.

Old 11-15-2012, 07:39 PM   #7
(female)

Louisk HB User

Quote:
Was the sex you had protected, in other words was a condom used?

There are no symptoms that relate to HIV, they are so non specific that tehy can be caused by literally any common illness. If they do happen, they are 10-20 days post exposure...again, they can never be used to diagnose HIV, only a blood test can. That said, if anyhting you experienced up to the blood test had been caused by HIV, it would have caused a positive antibody test.

Really buddy, you should relax.....the chances of your 9 week test changing are extremely remote. I only know numbers to 6 weeks....a 4 week test is 90% accurate, a 5 week 95%, a 6 week is 99%+ accurate. So you can imagine what a 9 week would be. The average time to test positive is 21-23 days.

Thank you for your reply. I had unprotected sex twice with this person. First time resulting in blood next time resulting in anal tear. Thank you. At 8 weeks I got a viral my glands seemed really swollen and I felt I'll at night . Because I took the test just over a week later I hope this means enough anti bodies were produced in that small amount of time??? Thanks again in advance

Old 11-15-2012, 07:41 PM   #8
(female)

Louisk HB User

Btw can I also add I am in Australia I don't know how advanced the testing is here I must also add that I also got viral around 3 week mark too I think

Last edited by Louisk; 11-15-2012 at 07:43 PM. Reason: More info

Old 11-15-2012, 07:53 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

As hard as it is, you really need to totally ignore the symptoms you are experiencing. I have been here almost 2 years and have seen countless people come here- with and without real risks- convinced they have HIV because of the "classic" HIV acute infection symptoms. I have not seen one single person report back with a positive yet.

Google "handsfield risk perspective" for an STD experts take on it. Australia, as backwards as you people are (kidding ) is well with modern testing techniques. The chances of your 9 week test changing are so miniscule that it is not worth worrying about. I would be fully expecting a negative again.

Old 11-15-2012, 08:00 PM   #10
(female)

Louisk HB User

First of all I would like to thank you for your response. May I ask where you get your facts from as you seem quite knowledgeable with regards to HIV . As I would also like to gain this information I did not know statistics for window period . Heart beat is slowing down

Old 11-15-2012, 08:18 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(male)

I'm not a doctor, just an average guy in the US....but HIV transmission is not rocket science. I have had my share of scares and have read extensively into it. Alot of my info comes from googling and searching out answers from online experts such as HH Handsfield, Edward Hook, the late "Dr. Bob" Frascino,and Gonzalez-Garcia...amongst others. Also I have read many replies from veterans of this forum that will repeat the exact same things I have said. Add into that that some states here in the US consider 6 weeks as conlusive( Massachusetts). Still the worldwide standard is 3 months antibody, but you will not find a true "expert" on HIV that says they have seen a 6 week cahnge.

There is all sorts of outdated info out there on the internet regading HIV. Searching out answers that suit your anxiety only further increases anxiety....Ive been there and know. Were I you, I would be totally relaxed.

Old 11-15-2012, 10:46 PM   #12
Facilitator
(male)

Apollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louisk View Post
That's good. Do you reckon even though every symptom I have had relates to HIV though is an indication I will test postive in 3 weeks. Due to the fact I have had symptoms does this mean my body would be producing anti bodies due to the swollen lymph glands I had? So antibodies would be showing in my blood by now? So maybe there is still a chance I am negative?
In short, if your symptoms were HIV related you would have tested positive for sure but some people dont get any sysmptoms. Your 9 week test is more or less conclusive and when you test at 12 weeks dont expect anything other than a negative test.

"Being defeated is only a temporary condition; giving up is what makes it permanent".

Old 11-16-2012, 02:51 AM   #13
(female)

Louisk HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apollo123 View Post
In short, if your symptoms were HIV related you would have tested positive for sure but some people dont get any sysmptoms. Your 9 week test is more or less conclusive and when you test at 12 weeks dont expect anything other than a negative test.
Thank you for your input apollo it's nice to talk to people who know a lot into this subject. I must say my viral night time symptoms and also
Bad back ache at some points we just under 2 weeks ago. So around 7-8 weeks. Would this still show up antibodies ? Thanks

Old 11-16-2012, 03:53 AM   #14
Facilitator
(male)

Apollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louisk View Post
Thank you for your input apollo it's nice to talk to people who know a lot into this subject. I must say my viral night time symptoms and also
Bad back ache at some points we just under 2 weeks ago. So around 7-8 weeks. Would this still show up antibodies ? Thanks
You getting drawn into symptom speculation which we dont get involved in and i certainly wont because its quiet pointless as only testing will ever confirm your status. Speculation is for fortune tellers

For the record, HIV has no specfic symptoms, hence why its pointless but backache is certainly nothing to do with HIV, we all get it for no reason.

As i said, if any symptoms were HIV related you would have tested positive but your 9 week test has very much conirmed your status as negative. I have never known a 9 week test turn from negative to positive and i dont belive you will make history on that

I hope that helps.

"Being defeated is only a temporary condition; giving up is what makes it permanent".

Closed Thread