It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

HIV Prevention Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-19-2012, 05:23 PM   #1
(male)

skl21 HB User
Unprotected Vaginal Intercourse... hiv symptoms?

Hi,

I had unprotected vaginal intercourse with a girl in Mexico city (not a prostitute). 2 days later, I had extreme abdominal cramps all night, followed by severe watery diarrhea. Then, the next day I had a high fever for one night with continued bowel movements....the fever only lasted a night, but the diarrhea continued for four days.

It's a week later now, and my forehead feels warm to the touch, but I dont feel like I have a fever, feel totally fine, but I have had two nights of minimal night sweats.

Is this ARS?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-19-2012, 06:25 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Seraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB User
Re: Unprotected Vaginal Intercourse...hiv symptoms?

Sounds a lot more like Montezuma's Revenge than anything else. Did you drink the water? eat local food? HIV would be about 100th on any list of possibilities. It has no specific symptoms, you have probably had food poisoning. Sera.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-19-2012, 08:42 PM   #3
(male)

skl21 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seraph View Post
Sounds a lot more like Montezuma's Revenge than anything else. Did you drink the water? eat local food? HIV would be about 100th on any list of possibilities. It has no specific symptoms, you have probably had food poisoning. Sera.
Yeah I had seafood at a local restaurant the afternoon before the cramps started, which was like 8 hours later.

But you think it's attributed to that? Could ARS start 2 days post-exposure and only last 4-5 days?

Old 11-19-2012, 09:03 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

SOTM HB UserSOTM HB UserSOTM HB UserSOTM HB UserSOTM HB UserSOTM HB UserSOTM HB UserSOTM HB UserSOTM HB UserSOTM HB UserSOTM HB User

No, ARS would not start just 2 days afterwards....it would be in the 10-20 day area. Also, symptoms mean absolutely nothing as far as diagnosing HIV.

Unprotected sex of any type is a rsik. However, the chances she actually had HIV and that you contracted it from a one time exposure if she did, are very, very low. The only way of diagnosing HIV is through a blood test or rapid test. At 4-6 weeks, they are 90-99% accurate, and fully conclusive at 3 months. If you are anxious, get a test in the 5-6 weeks post exposure area, that will give you an extremely good idea. Then go for a 3 month conclusive test, and expect the same results as the 6 week test.

Old 11-23-2012, 09:48 AM   #5
(male)

skl21 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOTM View Post
No, ARS would not start just 2 days afterwards....it would be in the 10-20 day area. Also, symptoms mean absolutely nothing as far as diagnosing HIV.

Unprotected sex of any type is a rsik. However, the chances she actually had HIV and that you contracted it from a one time exposure if she did, are very, very low. The only way of diagnosing HIV is through a blood test or rapid test. At 4-6 weeks, they are 90-99% accurate, and fully conclusive at 3 months. If you are anxious, get a test in the 5-6 weeks post exposure area, that will give you an extremely good idea. Then go for a 3 month conclusive test, and expect the same results as the 6 week test.

So since my earlier symptoms I stated, 13 days after post exposure I got a strange rash on my chest...look like small, red spots near my hair follicles...only like 20 or so spots in total. They don't itch and are not really rough, but slightly raised. Since yesterday, there seem to be less already.

And since my apparent food poisoning which occurred 2 days after post exposure...I have been feeling warm since that one day of high fever I had. I had my temperature check today and it was a 37.2....would ARS fever be that low for so long? I feel totally fine, no body aches, chills, or fatigue...but my temp has been slightly raised like this since two days after post exposure.

I appreciate your advice and I know symptoming checking is not necessarily healthy but just going out of mind here.

Old 11-23-2012, 10:29 AM   #6
Facilitator
(male)

Apollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB User

Indeed symptoms or lack of them never confirm your status as hiv has no specfic symptoms. This forum also will not get drawn into it either buds. If anything it just creates paranoia and undue concern.

All you can do is get busy with your life until you test for hiv.

"Being defeated is only a temporary condition; giving up is what makes it permanent".

Closed Thread