It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

HIV Prevention Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-21-2012, 03:01 PM   #1
(male)

charms99 HB User
Latex Condom and Potential Oil Based Lubricant

So i've been reading online that lubricants can cause damage to condoms and cause them to break. However, I'm really wondering if they cause microscopic holes that are small enough for HIV to pass through? Is that just a myth?

Last question: For lube to cause damage to a condom does it need to be applied directly to it? Say a small amount of it was put on the genitals before hand would it still cause damage?

Old 11-21-2012, 06:30 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

SOTM HB UserSOTM HB UserSOTM HB UserSOTM HB UserSOTM HB UserSOTM HB UserSOTM HB UserSOTM HB UserSOTM HB UserSOTM HB UserSOTM HB User
Re: Latex Condom and Potential Oil Based Lubricant

No it is not a myth that oil based lubricants can damage rubbers, making them more prone to tearing.

The question would be if you actually used it? Or are you just thinking up more scenarios for your anxiety and symptoms? IE the woman used oil based lubricant with her previous partner.

You had protected sex. That is all that matters. Stop searching and fretting about every little everyday thing you find.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-21-2012, 08:25 PM   #3
(male)

charms99 HB User

Actually, I'm not thinking up more scenario's on this one. Some lubricant was used although I don't know what type. It wasn't applied directly to the condom however. That is why I asked if it can cause damage.

I understand that my fears and anxiety may prove to be foolish in the end. I also understand that this board is often over used and abused with anxiety posts. I apologize for falling into this category as well. However, I really am posting this questions because of a detail of the experience not because of something I'm making up.

Lotion was applied in a small quantity to the penis, and vagina. however not directly to the condom. That was why I was asking if damage only occurred if applied directly to the condom. (aka the microscopic holes question)

I apologize if my posts are found annoying. I'm not trying to fuel my own anxiety any more than it already has been. I'm just asking an honest question. Again, I'm sorry. If you can offer any further information it would be appreciated. I'm not trying to abuse the site.

Old 11-21-2012, 08:32 PM   #4
(male)

charms99 HB User

Actually, I'm not thinking up more scenario's on this one. Some lubricant was used although I don't know what type. It wasn't applied directly to the condom however. That is why I asked if it can cause damage.

I understand that my fears and anxiety may prove to be foolish in the end. I also understand that this board is often over used and abused with anxiety posts. I apologize for falling into this category as well. However, I really am posting this questions because of a detail of the experience not because of something I'm making up.

Lotion was applied in a small quantity to the penis, and vagina. however not directly to the condom. That was why I was asking if damage only occurred if applied directly to the condom. (aka the microscopic holes question)

I apologize if my posts are found annoying. I'm not trying to fuel my own anxiety any more than it already has been. I'm just asking an honest question. Again, I'm sorry. If you can offer any further information it would be appreciated. I'm not trying to abuse the site.

Old 11-21-2012, 08:56 PM   #5
Facilitator
(male)

Apollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOTM View Post
No it is not a myth that oil based lubricants can damage rubbers, making them more prone to tearing.

The question would be if you actually used it? Or are you just thinking up more scenarios for your anxiety and symptoms? IE the woman used oil based lubricant with her previous partner.

You had protected sex. That is all that matters. Stop searching and fretting about every little everyday thing you find.
This is a great post by Sotm.

Point one is correct. In your case it didnt happen so your fine.

Point two, says it all charms. Really stop looking for a reason to have HIV.

"Being defeated is only a temporary condition; giving up is what makes it permanent".

Old 11-21-2012, 08:57 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

SOTM HB UserSOTM HB UserSOTM HB UserSOTM HB UserSOTM HB UserSOTM HB UserSOTM HB UserSOTM HB UserSOTM HB UserSOTM HB UserSOTM HB User

edited, apollo's post covered it.

Last edited by SOTM; 11-21-2012 at 08:59 PM.

Closed Thread