It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

HIV Prevention Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-22-2012, 11:00 PM   #1
(male)

bmon HB User
Currently doubting..

Hi everyone. On July 6th, I had an encounter with another man, it was protected anal. But my concern is that about 1.5 weeks before that, I had an encounter (unprotected receptive anal) with a man whose status I am not aware of. That was actually the second and last time that I had an unprotected encounter with him until I realized what I had just gotten myself into.

Well, 33 days (Aug 9th) after my July 6th encounter (5.5wks after unprotected), I had an antibody test done at the local community hospital. They sent it to QUEST I believe. My nerves had gotten the best of me even though the guy from July 6th said that he tested negative after I told him my concerns. The guy from earlier, insisted that he was clean and he was an avid blood donor. I went to the hospital and the lady at the results center showed me the report and it said Non-Reactive. I got a copy of it.

I kept feeling uneasy about it all, especially the unprotected encounters, so I decided to test again. By this time, I was in college (4yr private). I tested at my college on Aug 20th (44 days after July 6th) and I got my results back about 4 days later. Again, Non-Reactive. I felt relieved after that, since I noticed a rash on my arm non-raised, red/purplish dot clusters, not itchy, the day before testing.

I again felt uneasy and had another test on Sept. 20th (75 days after July 6th, 3 months after unprotected). The test came back a week later and came back as Non-Reactive. Relief.

The problem lately though, is that I seem to be very paranoid about my results, and the doctors. I have this crazy idea that since I am at a private college institution, and that it works with our local hospital (which many people don't seem fond of) that I have been possibly lied to when it comes to the results, to somehow let me find out later, when I'm not on the colleges health insurance plan. Please don't tell me how stupid I am being, I know this. But I just need a few words of wisdom. I have trouble believing these doctors. I also have trouble believing the test results, because I feel like I might have false negatives.

Please, wonderful people, ease my doubts. I know unprotected was stupid, and there is no excuse for it. I was exploring my sexuality and I got so carried away. I will always use a condom from now on.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-23-2012, 12:28 AM   #2
Facilitator
(male)

Apollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB User
Re: Currently doubting..

Hiya, well you had a risk and you took the correct test at the correct time and that was at 3 months. Any test at this time scale is conclusive. The other tests you took further prove your negative status.

Now as for your paranoia. Doctors are duty bound to tell you the truth about your health, they would not hide anything, infact they would or could go to jail for those actions, so your tests are fine, all 3 of them.

I hope that helps

"Being defeated is only a temporary condition; giving up is what makes it permanent".

The Following User Says Thank You to Apollo123 For This Useful Post:
bmon (11-25-2012)
Old 11-25-2012, 09:09 PM   #3
(male)

bmon HB User

Thanks Apollo,

so it is safe to say, that with my last test performed 11wks after last exposure (protected sex) and about 12.5 wks after last risky exposure, that I am HIV negative? Am I being too irrational by thinking that I am being lied to by my college's health center or the hospital? I don't know what to do or if this is even normal with hiv anxiety. I can't bear the thought of taking another test somewhere else, or even a take-home test and it turning out to be positive.

Old 11-25-2012, 09:17 PM   #4
(male)

bmon HB User

Thanks Apollo,

so it is safe to say, that with my last test performed 11wks after last exposure (protected sex) and about 12.5 wks after last risky exposure, that I am HIV negative? Am I being too irrational by thinking that I am being lied to by my college's health center or the hospital? I don't know what to do or if this is even normal with hiv anxiety. I can't bear the thought of taking another test somewhere else, or even a take-home test and it turning out to be positive.

Old 11-26-2012, 01:04 AM   #5
Facilitator
(male)

Apollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB User

Hi chap.

Your 12 week test is fully conclusive after your unprotected encounter. The protected encounter is not a concern as you had protected sex.

Their is no reason they would lie about your results as they are medical professionals and yes your correct its an irrantional fear that your having about this.

You have had a scare, got freaked out and it may take a few weeks for you to settle down from this, but as your results go, you dont have HIV, thats for sure.

"Being defeated is only a temporary condition; giving up is what makes it permanent".

The Following User Says Thank You to Apollo123 For This Useful Post:
bmon (11-26-2012)
Closed Thread