It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

HIV Prevention Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-28-2012, 06:00 AM   #1
(female)

WorryingMyself HB User
Red face Risk of HIV from small amount of Precum (Oral)?

Hello, everyone, and thank you for taking a minute to read and respond to this.

What are the chances of getting HIV by giving a man oral sex for about 2 minutes, and being exposed to a very small amount of precum (but no semen)? I couldn't even see the precum, I could just taste it for a few seconds, and we stopped soon after. NO vaginal or anal sex occurred.

I'll note here that one of my lymph glands was already swollen before this even happened. In fact, it's been swollen since before the first time I ever had sex, due to a non-sexual infection I had years ago.

I should also add that the man in question is part of a relatively low-risk group (he is a straight Caucasian male). Since he is outspokenly far-right and conservative as far as politics go, I seriously doubt that he ever engaged in gay sex or sex with any other group where HIV is relatively prevalent.

The thing that worries me is that he was coughing. He said he had terrible allergies (it's fall), but a few days after encountering him, I was coughing as well, so I figured he must have had a cold and didn't know it. Or, since I'm a worry-wart, I'm thinking it may be something worse...?

I basically just had cough and a runny nose for about 3 days a few days after this happened, but nothing like a rash or fever or anything like that.

So...based on the act performed (being exposed orally to a very small amount of precum), and the person (straight white male - relatively low risk group), what would you say my risk of being exposed to the virus is? Do you think he really just gave me a cold?

I know this was a bit long, but I'm very worried about it. Thank you.

Last edited by WorryingMyself; 11-28-2012 at 06:10 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-28-2012, 06:19 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

joggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB User
Re: Risk of HIV from small amount of Precum (Oral)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorryingMyself View Post
What are the chances of getting HIV by giving a man oral sex for about 2 minutes, and being exposed to a very small amount of precum (but no semen)? I couldn't even see the precum, I could just taste it for a few seconds, and we stopped soon after. NO vaginal or anal sex occurred.
The chances are zero. There are no proven cases of anyone being infected through oral sex, saliva inhibits the virus, and the tissue of the mouth is resistant to infection. You did not have an exposure.

Quote:
I'll note here that one of my lymph glands was already swollen before this even happened. In fact, it's been swollen since before the first time I ever had sex, due to a non-sexual infection I had years ago.
Doesn't matter, lymph nodes don't diagnose HIV.

Quote:
I should also add that the man in question is part of a relatively low-risk group (he is a straight Caucasian male). Since he is outspokenly far-right and conservative as far as politics go, I seriously doubt that he ever engaged in gay sex or sex with any other group where HIV is relatively prevalent.
Political orientation is probably not the best barometer of sexual orientation if the news is any indication, but it doesn't matter because oral sex is not a risk.

Quote:
<passage about symptoms removed>
We generally don't discuss symptoms on this forum because they are not diagnostic of HIV. Please read the top two sticky threads. I will say that acute HIV infection does NOT produce the upper respiratory symptoms that you describe.

Quote:
So...based on the act performed (being exposed orally to a very small amount of precum), the person (straight white male - relatively low risk group), and my symptoms (coughing and runny nose like he had), what would you say my risk of being exposed to the virus is? Do you think he really just gave me a cold?
You never had a exposure- that is the only thing that is relevant here. Yes, a cold of some sort of the only logical option here.

The Following User Says Thank You to joggen For This Useful Post:
WorryingMyself (11-28-2012)
Old 11-28-2012, 06:28 AM   #3
(female)

WorryingMyself HB User

Really? You mean nobody ever got it from oral sex? o.O

(And it would have been better if, instead of calling him conservative, I had put that he's a pretty racist homophobe as a reason why I don't think he's ever been involved with any of the higher-risk groups. Not an IV drug user, either.)

Last edited by WorryingMyself; 11-28-2012 at 06:34 AM.

Old 11-28-2012, 08:21 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB User

It is not possible to get infected with HIV from a hotel pillow.

Closed Thread