It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

HIV Prevention Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-09-2012, 04:18 PM   #1
(male)

worried4mylife HB User
A question?

I know symptoms alone cannot diagnose HIV. But I am at risk and I wanted to know what others think about my situation. I am very concerned (crying, can't concentrate) because I had unprotected sex with another male (I am male) but only for a few minutes, I soon placed on a condom and finished with a condom, there was lube involved.. No blood from what I was able to see and I urinated and washed/showered when we were done. I was the "insertive" partner, or top.

2 days later, I had a small fever (100.5) very fatigue and stinging in my penis area, it would hurt to pee, etc.. I went to my doctor and they did a urine culture and fond I had a UTI, which they gave me some antibiotics (2 weeks dosage) and my dosage ends with that this Tuesday (12/12/12). So far, it cleared up my UTI infections; no more fever, etc.. Well I now have diarrhea with sometimes green stool (I was told this could be a cause by the antibiotics, because I've not been taking any probiotics either).

Well now I find out that the guy I slept with, was positive and that he is "undetectable", so the risk of transmission is lower he said. He lied to begin with and said he had a clean bill of health. Now I'm freaking out! I've had no ARS symptoms except for diarrhea (which hopefully is just the antibiotics), and now just 2 days have night sweats (no fever) and I'm hoping that's just the anxiety.. No weight loss, no fever, no nausea, no vomiting, etc...

I plan on getting an HIV test done as of week 6 from the exposure, as of now I was told it's a waste of time as it can report a false negative.. I'm just freaking out right now and I need some advice on what to do? Other than I would NEVER EVER again sleep with a guy without protection no matter what.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-09-2012, 07:33 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

SOTM HB UserSOTM HB UserSOTM HB UserSOTM HB UserSOTM HB UserSOTM HB UserSOTM HB UserSOTM HB UserSOTM HB UserSOTM HB UserSOTM HB User
Re: A question?

Well it goes without saying that there was a substantial risk, unprotected anal sex with an HIV+ person is some of the highest risk sex. Insertive is less risky than receptive. The fever 2 days later means nothing. IF HIV presents any symptoms, they are around the 10-20 day area. Even if "symptoms" are experienced then, even with your high risk encounter, they still mean nothing.

An HIV test at 6 weeks is NOT a waste of time....99%+ of people that were infencted would test postive by that time. At 4 weeks even, an HIV antibody test would be 90%-ish accurate.

Whats done is done, there is no changing that. While it was high risk....things like his viral load, being the top and not bottom, and fairly brief time of exposure do matter. Even a one time exposure like yours does not automatically equal HIV transmission....it can happen on the 1st time, but odds-wise something like 1 per 150 or so exposures. I dont know the exact numbers for male-male anal sex.

Take a deep breath and try to relax. Do not look for symptoms or fret over anyhting you feel.....It will be tough I know, but symptoms really do mean nothing at all. I have seen several high risk encounters here that had every symptom in the book, all turned negative. I'd personally go for a test at about the 4 week mark. It would "only" be about 90% conclusive, but most people seroconvert by 21-22 days. Assuming that is negative, go for a 6 weeker.....any test past that 6 week it would be almost unheard of to change.

Good luck, and please try to keep calm

Last edited by SOTM; 12-09-2012 at 07:36 PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to SOTM For This Useful Post:
worried4mylife (12-19-2012)
Old 12-15-2012, 04:50 PM   #3
(male)

worried4mylife HB User

Thank you SOTM..

I went this past Wednesday (week 3-4ish) and had a blood test done. I should have the results by next week, but I told the doctor to hold the results until after the holidays.. My symptoms are still just diarrhea and nightsweats(not as bad as it was though).. Even though I stopped the antibiotic last Tuesday. I spoke to a few pharmacists that told me antibiotic-associated diarrhea can last a few weeks even after you quit the antibiotic. I am taking some probiotics now, it seems to help a little bit. I have a headache now. But I know these are all just symptoms that can be caused by stress. My doctor told me that I had a low chance of transmission, but we're still taking the proper precautions.

I hope I'm okay. This is a hard lesson to be learned that's for sure. Thank you very much for your kind words SOTM.. You don't understand how much that means to me. Thank you..

Old 12-16-2012, 07:56 AM   #4
(male)

worried4mylife HB User

I'm still slightly nervous that they aren't other people replying as if they feel like I'm a lost cause or that what they have to say would probably frighten me further. I guess we'll just have to find out my results. Although I'm going to be taking another test at the 6 week mark to be sure, and a final test in 3 months.

Old 12-16-2012, 09:52 AM   #5
Inactive
(male)

blokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by worried4mylife View Post
I'm still slightly nervous that they aren't other people replying as if they feel like I'm a lost cause or that what they have to say would probably frighten me further. I guess we'll just have to find out my results. Although I'm going to be taking another test at the 6 week mark to be sure, and a final test in 3 months.
Hi,

Buddy this is not the case at all, you are not a lost cause and I personally have no issue with stating it as it is. The reason I have not added to this thread is because SOTM has given you an excellent assessment and excellent advice. There is nothing further that can realistically be added to the assessment and advice you have given.

You have put yourself at risk here and you will need to test out to 3 months but like I have said you have already been given this advice. The one bit of advice you really need to take note of is not to symptom chase, don’t go down the well walked road of continually examine yourself and using Dr Google.

I naturally wish you all the best with your upcoming tests and please let us know your results.

Kevin.

The Following User Says Thank You to blokecalledkev For This Useful Post:
worried4mylife (12-19-2012)
Old 12-19-2012, 10:24 AM   #6
(male)

worried4mylife HB User

So I got my results back from my test(s), apparently my doctor said they checked for antibodies and also checked for viral load. According to the report it says "NON-REACTIVE" and a Zero Viral Load. He said that if I was infected, viral load would be running high.. Hope this helps. He said we still need to do an antibody test in 4 weeks from now just to be sure, but he said these are good signs.

Old 12-20-2012, 12:47 AM   #7
Inactive
(male)

blokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB User

Hi,

I agree with your doctor a negative result for you is a very good sign and you should follow his advice and have a follow up test.

Kevin.

Old 12-21-2012, 08:05 AM   #8
(male)

worried4mylife HB User

Thank you for that. I was wondering if the viral load test can give a false negative? It's been a little over 2 weeks since the exposure when I took that test. I know the antibody test can read a false negative because of the 6 week-3 month rule. But he said the viral load would run high if I was infected because early infection is when viral load is at its highest. Is that pretty accurate? I am still doing the antibody test in 4 weeks but thought I'd ask.

Old 12-21-2012, 08:30 AM   #9
Facilitator
(male)

Apollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB User

Antibody tests no do not give false negatives, the only reason you would get a negative then a postive test is because you tested to early, which is not the same termanology as a false negative. Most people will test positive by 4 weeks with a antibody test and 99% will test positive by 6 weeks with the same test.

As for a PCR test, they are not approved at confirming your HIV status and again they do not give false negatives, it just means you dont have a high viral load, thats why these tests are used for people with HIV, to check their Viral loads. If your going to test at 4 weeks although 6 weeks would be better, try and get a 4th generation test ( it tests for antibodys and P24 )

That said its still a good indication of your status.

"Being defeated is only a temporary condition; giving up is what makes it permanent".

Old 12-21-2012, 01:50 PM   #10
(male)

worried4mylife HB User

Thank you Apollo for your quick response.

I understand now. I will also be sure to perform my antibody test in 4 weeks (already have it scheduled). In the mean time, still no symptoms (going on week 4 since exposure: 11/23/12). However, I still have diarrhea. Could this simply be the leftover antibiotics? Today marks day 10 since I've stopped the antibiotics (was on 3 different types). I was told that antibiotics can stay in your system for 10 days after your last dose. Also probiotics don't seem to help, and things like imodium quit the trips to the bathroom, but it's just a band-aid overall. No other symptoms though. I know this could be completely unrelated, but I'm still nervous of course. I'm not freaking out as badly as before, but I'm still kind of on edge when I start to think about it again.

Old 12-21-2012, 02:00 PM   #11
Facilitator
(male)

Apollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB User

We dont really comment on symptoms as they are speculative and pointless, that said, nerves and stress will make you go to the loo - alot.

"Being defeated is only a temporary condition; giving up is what makes it permanent".

Old 12-29-2012, 10:44 PM   #12
(male)

worried4mylife HB User

Hey y'all.

The panic and anxiety is almost gone completely. Still on edge when I really start to think about it, but I soon occupy myself and I'm okay again. I really appreciate both you Apollo and Kevin's advice, both of you are great and I thank you a lot.

I'm replying because of course there was still my PCR test done at 19 days, negative along with an Elisa test; nonreactive.

Well today (5 weeks, or rather 34 days post exposure) I did an oral swab rapid test. Followed precise instructions and waited 20 minutes; came back negative.

Of course, still doing a another Elisa test on the 7th week, and a final Elisa at the 3 month mark. To be 100% conclusive.

Question is, how accurate is the oral swab at 5 weeks and the chances of an "early negative"?

Last edited by worried4mylife; 12-29-2012 at 11:12 PM.

Old 12-30-2012, 12:43 AM   #13
Facilitator
(male)

Its a decent indication of your status, more so with your other negative test. If your symptoms were HIV related you would have tested postive, so its fair to say they are not related.

Closed Thread