It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

HIV Prevention Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-12-2012, 01:15 PM   #1
(female)

jenny ajg HB User
Unhappy Someone please help clarify my test results?!?!?!

I found out I was pregnant about 6 weeks ago, and went in for my first check up soon after. My doctor did an ultrasound and said most likely the pregnancy will result in a miscarriage. He sent me down to the lab to get the prenatal and HIV scan blood work done. It's been 4 weeks since I got all of that done, and sure enough i had a miscarriage. I received a priority letter in the mail with my HIV test results, and I'm scared to death!! Will someone help clarify?! They say:

HIV 1/o/2 ABS- INDEX VALUE [H] 3.48 <1.00

INDEX VALUE: specimen reactivity relative to the negative cutoff.
HIV 1/0/2 Abs, Qual [A] results below:
Repeatedly Reactive

then it goes into detail about HIV-1 and 2

And then at the bottom of the page it says

Western Blot INTERP: NEGATIVE
GP160 AB absent
(then it lists a bunch more and they all say absent.)

the next page says:
The fallowing non-numeric lab results we're dispersed to the flowsheet even though numeric results were expected:

HIV 1/0/2 Abs, QUAL, REPEATEDLY REACTIVE.

I called the office as soon as I got the letter and the nurse sounded freaked out. She said I cannot have sex for 6 months and will be retested. She also said that it was reported to the state. Does this mean I am HIV positive? I have not been sexually active in over a year, and been with the same man for 7 months. I don't know what else to do, I am absolutely terrified right now

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-12-2012, 01:34 PM   #2
Facilitator
(male)

Apollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB User
Re: Someone please help clarify my test results?!?!?!

Hi jenny. first let me say im very sorry to hear about the miscarrige, my thoughts are with you.

As for tests. its common that people do get false positives and repeatedly with antibody tests. To confirm your status a wb test is required. You havd taken that and from what you have posted, it appears that you test is negative. Although you may still test positive with an antibody test, you wb is the golden standard and your status is definded by that. So as far as i can tell, that was negative and you dont have hiv. Of course for more confirmation you could get your partner tested for hiv and if he is negative then its quiet clear what your status is.

Im not sure the nurse has given you the best information and i would advise going back but speaking with a doctor about hiv. A retest at 6 months is not required if your wb is indeed negative.

I hope helps

"Being defeated is only a temporary condition; giving up is what makes it permanent".

Old 12-12-2012, 01:44 PM   #3
(female)

jenny ajg HB User

Thank you for getting back to me. After having the miscarriage, I'm not sure laying this on his shoulders is the right thing to do at this point. I of course, will have to tell him in time. By what I have read, A western blot is final confirmation. I guess I am just confused as to why they had to contact the state right away, and why only the repeatedly reactive status is on the flow chart? I have an appointment with my doc on friday, I don't want to wait 6 months to retest, I will go insane!

Old 12-12-2012, 01:53 PM   #4
Facilitator
(male)

Apollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB User

Well jenny you should not have to deal with this alone, certainly at this moment in time. Im sure he would want to support you and indeed you should tell him asap.

You are correct, a wb is final confirmation and trumps other test results. Your doctor may want to run a pcr rna test, which looks for the virus not antibodys, unlike the other tests.

I cannot comment about the nurse, i dont belive she has handled this very well, certainly with yiur current situation. Its possible for people to have positive antibody tests with standard tests and have negative wb results. They can happen for many reasons, but the outcome of a wb test is the bottom line.

"Being defeated is only a temporary condition; giving up is what makes it permanent".

Last edited by Apollo123; 12-12-2012 at 01:55 PM.

Old 12-13-2012, 01:31 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

joggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB User

Maybe the nurse didn't understand that you had a negative WB? If she did she should be fired. You clearly had a false positive. You don't have HIV.

Old 12-13-2012, 11:33 AM   #6
(female)

jenny ajg HB User

She said she wasn't sure what a wb was. I have a doc appointment tomorrow, I'll speak with him. if I have been with the same guy for the last 6 months, the results shouldn't change, I hope. Waiting 6 months for another test will literally kill me. Thank you for the replies, d ease the worry and pain a little.

Closed Thread