It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

HIV Prevention Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-19-2012, 07:12 AM   #1
(male)

atsimba HB User
HIV scare with symptoms

25 days ago i met a lady whose HIV status is unknown and we had protected viginal sex. what worries me is that the next day i had fever, severe tonsilitis, fatigue on the lower limps and thighs. during the intercourse the condom moved half way towards the penis head. i then took PEP (combivir and alluvia) after 38 hours. since then the battle has been going on in mouth that is abscess on the lower lip and changing out color on the lower lip, lack of appitite, swollen glands, teeth numbness. in addition blurred eyes with watery vision.

my questions are as follows:

1. do sympthoms of HIV show up as early as 24 hours after potential exposure?

2. is PEP failling? How effective is PEP?

3. should i continue with PEP for another 4 week period to make it 2 months just in case?

4. when should i go for HIV testing?

worried. thank you in advance for your valued guidance.

Old 12-19-2012, 07:37 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB User
Re: HIV scare with symptoms

What kind of quack doctor gives PEP for a Protected sexual encounter? Did you lie to the doctor about your exposure? Because I can't think of an instance when any doctor who knows anything about those meds and how severely toxic they are would just hand it over so casually. Did you read the package insert that came with the meds? Because I'm pretty sure all of your issues are side effects from the PEP. You should have looked into it more before taking it because now your liver and kidneys are probably going to fail and you could have a lot of other very serious side effects from taking these medications for a PROTECTED non exposure! I can't believe anyone would take that stuff unless it was absolutely necessary!

The Following User Says Thank You to Kszan For This Useful Post:
atsimba (12-20-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-19-2012, 08:33 AM   #3
Facilitator
(male)

Apollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by atsimba View Post
25 days ago i met a lady whose HIV status is unknown and we had protected viginal sex. what worries me is that the next day i had fever, severe tonsilitis, fatigue on the lower limps and thighs. during the intercourse the condom moved half way towards the penis head. i then took PEP (combivir and alluvia) after 38 hours. since then the battle has been going on in mouth that is abscess on the lower lip and changing out color on the lower lip, lack of appitite, swollen glands, teeth numbness. in addition blurred eyes with watery vision.

my questions are as follows:

No, even if you had a risk

Their is a "sticky thread" at the top of the page, you should really read that

3. should i continue with PEP for another 4 week period to make it 2 months just in case?

From what you said, you had no risk from HIV. That said i cannot tell you what you should do regarding taking medication from a doctor, but what i would say and hope you do is see another doctor for a second opinion on this. My personal thoughts are you should hav enot taken PEP in the first place. PEP is a very harsh drug for the body, so PLEASE see another doctor about this.

worried. thank you in advance for your valued guidance.

"Being defeated is only a temporary condition; giving up is what makes it permanent".

The Following User Says Thank You to Apollo123 For This Useful Post:
atsimba (12-20-2012)
Old 12-19-2012, 08:51 AM   #4
Inactive
(male)

blokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB User

Quote:
No they do not and given the fact you were not even exposed to an HIV infection your ailments are not related to an HIV infection.

Quote:
PEP be effective by reducing the risk of an HIV infection by up to 80%. In your case it is not failing because you were not exposed to HIV.

Quote:
NO, absolutely not. PEP should be taken for 28 days; the doctor who wrongly prescribed this medication to you should have told you this. There is no “just in case” you should never have been prescribed such toxic drugs for your zero risk exposure, you should not be taking it and all your concerns should now be directed at the doctor whose medical supervision you now under.

Quote:
You do not need to test for HIV, you do not need to be on PEP and you should again have been told all this by the doctor who as wrongly prescribed these drugs to you.

Kevin.

The Following User Says Thank You to blokecalledkev For This Useful Post:
atsimba (12-20-2012)
Old 12-20-2012, 06:48 AM   #5
(male)

atsimba HB User

thank you very much for the guidance. the doctor who priscribed PEP did so after i have alluded to him that lest the condom could have leaked somehow.
should there be other complications i will keep you posted and as of today the mouth symptoms seem to subsidise. i am now feeling much better. stay blessed. thank you.

from atsimba

Old 12-20-2012, 06:53 AM   #6
(male)

atsimba HB User

wonderful reply. its only that i convinced the doctor that the condom might have leaked because i was actually confused. its like my life had been turned upsidedown 360 degrees. however with such level of assurance i am feeling much better. stay blessed. should i have other concerns i will post them to you. thank you.

Closed Thread