It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

HIV Prevention Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-30-2012, 12:46 AM   #1
(male)

SomeBumInADrum HB User
Positive ELISA, Negative WB, Negative DNA PCR

I am 24
Uncircumcised heterosexual male
Unprotected oral and vaginal sex with unknown status female.

I took a 4th generation (I think) antibody test 6 weeks post exposure. I then took a DNA PCR test 7 weeks post exposure (which included a 4th generation antibody test). I did these tests with LabCorp

ELISA/EIA
Repeatedly Reactive
1.73 (6 weeks post exposure)
1.6 (7 weeks post exposure)

Western Blot
Negative (6 weeks post exposure)
Negative (7 weeks post exposure)

DNA PCR
Negative (7 weeks post exposure)

I've seen a lot of negative articles regarding the DNA PCR exam and how it is not FDA approved as a diagnostic tool for HIV due to costs and too many false positives. Unfortunately, I have also read that it has around 90%-100% sensitivity. Could this mean that 0-10% of HIV positive people may be given a false negative? The DNA PCR test is not known for its false negatives and this result only confuses me.

I've read that the 4th generation ELISA tests have a 99.8+% specificity. This does not look very promising to me especially since I tested positive on it twice in a row. However, this information is very conflicting to the DNA PCR test results.

I understand that a negative antibody test along with a negative DNA PCR test is 99.99% conclusive. However, as you can see, my ELISA/EIA anti-body test is POSITIVE, while my WB and DNA PCR are NEGATIVE. Whenever I ask others for advice, they just say to retake the anti-body test at 3 months and 6 months and regurgitate the fact that the DNA PCR is not FDA approved as a diagnostic test. I am afraid and I suspect that my ELISA will continue to test POSITIVE and my WB will continue to test NEGATIVE which effectively puts me in this 'I don't know my status' category. This will lead to either delayed treatment if I DO have HIV or lead to continued anxiety if I DON'T have HIV. Likewise, I've heard that the Western Blot is unreliable and may be removed from diagnostic usage in the USA in 2013.

I have been feeling pretty crummy ever since I got my first test results back. I was feeling fine and mostly asymptomatic prior to that (had a sore throat I suspected was obtained from a co-worker who also had a sore throat, had itchy skin from wearing wool all the time, both symptoms disappeared in just a few days). I believe that many of my current symptoms (bad sleep, fatigue, etc) are from the anxiety that came from this and not from HIV.

How sensitive is the DNA PCR test? The 4th generation ELISA tests are quite reliable with 100% sensitivity and 99.8+% specificity. I will retest soon but I fear I will have the same results, a positive ELISA and a negative Western Blot.

Thanks,
Bum in a drum

Last edited by SomeBumInADrum; 12-30-2012 at 12:50 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-30-2012, 01:40 AM   #2
Facilitator
(male)

Apollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB User
Re: Positive ELISA, Negative WB, Negative DNA PCR

You have fallen into the trap of over testing, which has now created a issue for yourself with the negative tests sunillbom. You took 6 tests within a 2 week period?

Your WB tests trump all but you need to test 3 months from your exposure date to confirm your status. Yake an antibody test at that time scale and if its negative you have nothing to worry about.

"Being defeated is only a temporary condition; giving up is what makes it permanent".

Old 12-30-2012, 02:24 AM   #3
(male)

SomeBumInADrum HB User

Thanks for the advice but you don't think the WB is a bit outdated? It's known to have very inconsistent seroconversion window frames. The CDC is considering its removal and it's not used in some other countries.

Anyway, I will take an Oraquick for prompt ASAP testing within a couple days (3 months has just passed). If it's positive, I'll follow up with a ELISA/WB combination test. If it's negative, hopefully I will be able to sleep normally again. Regardless, I will post my results here.

Thanks,
-Bum in a drum.

Old 12-30-2012, 02:46 AM   #4
Facilitator
(male)

Apollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB User

The WB when used at the correct time scale is a very accurate test, thats why it is still used to confirm one's status. It is the golden standard of tests and i dont belive the CDC are going to remove this test as its the only test which can confirm if your positive.

"Being defeated is only a temporary condition; giving up is what makes it permanent".

Old 02-05-2013, 04:47 AM   #5
(male)

fahadq872 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeBumInADrum View Post
Thanks for the advice but you don't think the WB is a bit outdated? It's known to have very inconsistent seroconversion window frames. The CDC is considering its removal and it's not used in some other countries.

Anyway, I will take an Oraquick for prompt ASAP testing within a couple days (3 months has just passed). If it's positive, I'll follow up with a ELISA/WB combination test. If it's negative, hopefully I will be able to sleep normally again. Regardless, I will post my results here.

Thanks,
-Bum in a drum.
hi Bum . can you tell us about your results by now to know if PCR test was ok or no ?

thanx

Closed Thread