It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

HIV Prevention Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-30-2012, 09:13 PM   #1
(male)

JPalis HB User
Oral Sex and HIV - Realistically, how Concerned should I be?

Hi Everyone,

I am a Straight/BI guy that has been playing with guys for a while.

In the past it has been masturbation (me doing them..sometime them doing me)....and on some occasions they gave me oral with me ejaculating in their mouth.

During the past 3 months or so, I have developed an interest in oral and have had oral sex with 6 guys. Here are the basic facts;
  • As far as I know the guys were/are clean and neg
  • At NO point did any of the guys ejaculate in my mouth or on me....but there would have been a little to lots of pre-ejaculate and this was quite obvious.
  • I am not aware of any cuts, abrasions, sores or any serious lesions inside or outside my mouth. I do however suffer from bleeding gums (gum disease), though this is rarely spontaneous and only happens during brushing.
  • The guys in question did not have any noticeable abrasions or markings on their penis' that would make me suspect anything.
  • I cannot recall with any accuracy if prior to any of these acts I would have eaten or brushed my teeth..these may have happened once or twice.
  • In all cases the act was only short...less than a minute often with me taking the whole penis in my mouth...but a lot of the time just kissing and licking it.

So...there it is! Given that this is my history with guys, can you suggest...
  1. what my risk profile might be in relation to HIV or anything else
  2. Am I likely to be at risk and have contracted anything?
  3. Do I need to take a test?
  4. Should I worry?

I am quite anxious about all of this because its not an area I am familiar with and because there is SO much conflicting information with some saying that the risk is minimal but real and others saying it is unlikely and zero. Some information saying there are a number of proven cases....while other information says..no proven cases. This lack of congruent information only adds to my anxiety.

Thank you Experts. Any help, thoughts and guidance would be appreciated.

JP

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-31-2012, 12:47 AM   #2
Facilitator
(male)

Apollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB User
Re: Oral Sex and HIV - Realistically, how Concerned should I be?

Their have been many studies carried out with couples gay and straight where one partner is HIV positive. In all the studies over many years their was not one case of HIV transmission. The mouth is a very hostile place with over a dozen emyzmes and protiens that make the virus inactive. Medical science has proven this and its not a debating point.

Based on that and the fact HIV experts conclude that oral sex is not a valid way of HIV transmission in typical exposures.

so,

do you need to test for HIV, no. You are at risk of std's and you should test for them. If you want peace of mind then take a HIV test and get the answer you need if your paranoid about it.

Hope that helps

"Being defeated is only a temporary condition; giving up is what makes it permanent".

The Following User Says Thank You to Apollo123 For This Useful Post:
JPalis (12-31-2012)
Old 12-31-2012, 03:30 AM   #3
(male)

JPalis HB User
how Concerned should I be?

I would think that if you got ANY positive result, would would immediately seek out a second test...otherwise would would you know it was a false positive...and how would anyone even know that false positives existed!!!

Importantly the question for me is....Has a false negative ever been produced? I mean imagine getting a positive...testing again and then getting a negative...if both false positives and negatives can happen....how on earth would you trust any result...

JPA

Last edited by Administrator; 12-31-2012 at 09:08 AM.

Old 12-31-2012, 04:30 AM   #4
Inactive
(male)

blokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB User
how Concerned should I be?

You can trust your results and try not to get wound up about false results.

The ONLY reason for false negatives is because people test too early. This is why people who had had a risk should test to the 12 weeks window period.

All false positives are later confirmed as being false by having the gold standard Western Bloc test.

The reasons for false positives are well documented on the net. But the main reason for them here is because people who have not been at a risk of an HIV infection take test after test after test. It is this needless over testing that can produce false positive results and it is the main reason, you who were not at a risk, has been advised not to test. Over testing for zero risk exposures carry with it, its own set of dangers, namely false positives. Anybody who has not had a realistic exposure to an HIV infection should always exercise extreme caution when testing for HIV. Over testing not only carries with the false believe that you have an HIV concern but the slight danger of a false positive result.

Do yourself a massive favour, if you are so concerned have ONE HIV test, collect your negative result and move on with your life.

Kevin.

Last edited by Administrator; 12-31-2012 at 09:08 AM.

The Following User Says Thank You to blokecalledkev For This Useful Post:
JPalis (12-31-2012)
Old 12-31-2012, 05:01 PM   #5
(male)

JPalis HB User
Re: how Concerned should I be?

Thank you for the replies. Based on what I read I have no real reason to doubt that all will be fine....but there is always that little voice at the back one ones head.

I went in yesterday and ordered some tests. Should have the results next Monday. I am expecting these results to be negative and I will discuss with the doctor if further steps need to be actioned.

Closed Thread