It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

HIV Prevention Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2013, 02:01 PM   #1
(male)

worryingaboutit HB User
Chance of acquiring HIV

I am a heterosexual male that approximately two weeks ago had sexual intercourse with a female that I just found out was HIV positive.

I did wear a condom for this, but earlier that day I had shaved my groin/penis area and although there was no cut or visible scratch, I am paranoid that the skin may have been irritated enough, or had miniscule cuts that may have let the virus in.

Other than the worrying over the last couple of days, and interpreting everything abnormal as possible HIV I have had no fever/headaches, rashes, etc.

I am paranoid that the virus may have gotten in from any miniscule scratch or skin irritation towards the base of the penis which may not have been 100% covered by the condom, or by the same type of skin irritaion in the groin area from the shaving.

Should this be tested for, or am I just being too paranoid?

Thanks!

Old 01-07-2013, 03:52 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

joggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB User
Re: Chance of acquiring HIV

HIV is fragile virus that can only be transmitted INSIDE the human body. Infection will only result through direct inoculation deep into tissue or a body cavity, such as injection of infectious material inside a vein, as in IV drug use (i.e. sharing needles), or through penetrative sexual intercourse. HIV loses its ability to infect as soon as it leaves the body, so vaginal secretions outside the body are not infectious. Also, skin is highly resistant to viruses (regardless of minor cuts) as it is made up of several layers- there must be a huge gash requiring stitches for there to be a route of infection. All of this means that your situation, despite being disconcerting knowing her status, posed absolutely no risk to you. As long as the head of your penis was covered with a condom throughout intercourse, you had no risk for HIV infection.

The Following User Says Thank You to joggen For This Useful Post:
worryingaboutit (01-07-2013)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-07-2013, 04:31 PM   #3
(male)

worryingaboutit HB User
Re: Chance of acquiring HIV

Thanks for the detailed summary regarding my specifics. Definitely helped put my mind at ease!

Closed Thread