HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   HIV Prevention (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/hiv-prevention/)
-   -   HIV worry (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/hiv-prevention/934594-hiv-worry.html)

AnnaBulg 01-09-2013 06:51 AM

HIV worry

hey guys I had a one night stand about two and a half months ago, im a female, i had unprotected anal sex with this random boy, he came inside me, yeah I know Im an idiot, i had some flu like symptopms two weeks after plus gingivitis on my gums which i never had before. but i got tested yesterday, it was negative, they gave me a rapid test, im guilty about what happened but do you think this test is enough and i should let it go or should I retest at 6 months mark or even earlier again ?

cuts84 01-09-2013 06:28 PM

Re: HIV worry

Although your activity was high risk, two and half months is pretty much conclusive. It would be very rare for anyone to retest positive after that much time has elapsed. Even though the general recommendation for testing is 3 months, about 99% of people will develop measurable antibodies within 4 to 6 weeks. In the older generation tests, it would often be necessary to wait 3 to 6 months, but that isn't the case today. With that being said, I would recommend testing again in about a month if you know for a fact that the person you had sex with was HIV positive or was in a very high risk group, such as an injection drug user. Again, it is very, very unlikely that you would test positive, but it might be worth it for peace of mind, if nothing else. Otherwise, I don't really think you have anything to worry about. Be very careful with anal sex in the future though...the large surface area of mucous membranes make it much easier for HIV to be absorbed into the bloodstream.

Apollo123 01-10-2013 12:20 AM

Hiya. Your test at 10 weeks is more or less conclusive, ie i have never known a test turn negative to postive at 12 weeks and yours wont. That said, take a test at 12 weeks for final confirmation, but dont worry it will be fine :-)

AnnaBulg 01-10-2013 12:28 AM

yeah no more anal sex for me, that's for sure. I think ill retest in a month or so just so I can sleep proper. thanks for the response

AnnaBulg 01-10-2013 12:30 AM

thanks, ill do that. thanks for the response

Apollo123 01-10-2013 12:41 AM

As long as you use condoms you will be fine, you can do what ever you like. Their really is no need to wait that long because if you were to have hiv, you would have tested positive by now but 12 weeks is the cdc guidelines so we adhear to that.

AnnaBulg 01-10-2013 01:12 AM

yeah ill do that for sure, can i just ask another question, i told the boy i was going for a test and he said he doesnt want to do one, i didnt bother him as this is his choice, but is my negative hiv status now and let's hope in two weeks retest a guarantee of his status too? considering the type of sex we had, just interested

Apollo123 01-10-2013 01:19 AM

hiya, thats ok its a valid and good question to ask. the test only confirms your status. Its unlikley he has hiv but he could have hiv. Even when people have hiv it does not mean somone else will get hiv from a one time exposure, infact its very rare for that to happen.

sadley he my well be concerned but scared to test.

AnnaBulg 01-10-2013 01:26 AM

yeah maybe he's scared, dont know, barely know the guy to be honest with you, thanks for the response ! :)

AnnaBulg 01-17-2013 10:20 AM

Im sorry to bother you again but ive been reading other posts and stuff and you seem like you can give me the best advice, i did a recount and its even a little bit more than 2 months and two weeks, its exactly 80 days after the one night stand i had the test, do you think its really necessary to retest at 90 days, i really dont want to go back to the clinic, fear of doctors, needles and stuff, barely made myself do it the first time :( really appreciate your response

Apollo123 01-17-2013 10:29 AM

A ten week is more or less conclusive but the cdc still state that a 3 month test is required, so we conform to this. Honestly if your that scared take a rapid test from a finger***** instead of a needle.

Mel259 01-17-2013 10:35 AM

Ok i guess ill have to go then too