It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

HIV Prevention Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2013, 07:56 AM   #1
(male)

tommyb1989 HB User
Fourth gen tests at 3 and 5 weeks.

Hi,

I had unprotected vaginal sex with a woman of unknown HIV status on Sept 30th. I started to get some mild symptoms just after 3 weeks (e.g. sore throat, slightly red face). I took a fourth generation antigen/antibody test at 3 weeks 4 days, and again at 5 weeks 2 days; both results were negative.

Could somebody please provide me some guidance on the accuracy of these results? As I understand it, if I were HIV+, a fourth generation test would detect either antigen or antibodies on one of these tests. I have, however, read that fourth gen tests can cause a second window period, where p24 antigen levels fall, just before antibodies are produced.

Obviously I plan to get tested again, now that it has been over 3 months, but would appreciate some reassurance.

Thank you.

Old 01-15-2013, 08:25 AM   #2
Facilitator
(male)

Apollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB User
Re: Fourth gen tests at 3 and 5 weeks.

Your 5 week test is a very good indication of your status and unlikley to change. If your symptoms were HIV related you would have tested positive, so we can rule those out.

The part of a second window period is incorrect. Antigens are a by product of antibodys but are easier to detect on a test, hence the p24 on due tests.
Antigen appeat first then are over taken by the antibodys, so if you had HIV and test at the correct time scale then your results are fine. Of course if you test early then the test is only a indication of your status, not conclusive.

Its unlikley that she has HIV, the UK still has a low rate of HIV and the 5 week is great news as well, so i would expect to see a negative test when you take it.

"Being defeated is only a temporary condition; giving up is what makes it permanent".

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-15-2013, 08:38 AM   #3
(male)

tommyb1989 HB User

Thank you for the swift response, that has helped a lot with my anxiety. I think it's likely that some my 'symptoms' have been caused by stress and over-thinking things a little; I had fears of having the virus from day 1 after the incident! Fingers crossed for a negative result third time around!

Old 01-15-2013, 08:58 AM   #4
Facilitator
(male)

Apollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB User

I would agree that stress has certainly not helped the situation and could have made you unwell, but the good news its certainly not HIV related. Try not to worry about your final test, im sure you will be fine mate.

"Being defeated is only a temporary condition; giving up is what makes it permanent".

Closed Thread