It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

HIV Prevention Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2013, 02:56 PM   #1
(male)

jeridevan HB User
Chances of contracting HIV as a male?

I'm 20 years old. On December 25th, I had unprotected sex with an ex girlfriend. I assumed she had not had sex with anyone else. I recently found out that during the beginning of December, she had one unprotected encounter. I do not know the HIV status of the other male.

Had sex another time with her December 29th, this time PROTECTED. She bled quite a lot, as this happens to her sometimes.

The male she had sex with is 23, doesn't seem like typical group of someone who would have HIV, but I am being super paranoid.

As of last night (January 14th), a strong flu hit me. Fever, slight headache, body aching, chills, slight sore throat. The timing of all this is horrible. I'm not sure if the two are related. I should also add that up until this Saturday, my roommate did have the flu, so I could have just got it from him.

What are the chances I have contracted HIV?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-15-2013, 03:11 PM   #2
Facilitator
(male)

Apollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB User
Re: Chances of contracting HIV as a male?

The first exposure is the only risk to be concerned about. Only a test at 3 montha will confirm your status although a test at 6 weeks would give you a very good indication of your status.

As for your risk, well you have one although its unlikley she has hiv in the first place, so test as above but try not to worry to much.

"Being defeated is only a temporary condition; giving up is what makes it permanent".

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-22-2013, 08:10 AM   #3
(male)

jeridevan HB User

Test at 3 weeks after possible exposure.

Lab: *HIV (addl charge Western Blot)-L_52

Name: HIV 1/O/2 Abs-Index Value
Value: <1.00
Reference Range: <1.00

Name: 1/O/2 Abs, Qual
Value: Non Reactive
Reference Range: Non Reactive

Will get tested in another 3 weeks to make sure.

Old 01-22-2013, 08:43 AM   #4
Facilitator
(male)

Apollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB User

Of course it was negative, you never had a risk you had PROTECTED sex.

"Being defeated is only a temporary condition; giving up is what makes it permanent".

Old 01-22-2013, 11:17 AM   #5
(male)

jeridevan HB User

Actually, I had two encounters (as stated in the original post). The earliest one was unprotected. The most recent was protected. Just clarifying

The Following User Says Thank You to jeridevan For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2013, 11:36 AM   #6
Facilitator
(male)

Sorry, posted on the wrong thread.

Old 01-22-2013, 02:07 PM   #7
(male)

jeridevan HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apollo123 View Post
Sorry, posted on the wrong thread.
Not a problem. Given my test results 3 weeks after the encounter, and my lack of symptoms, how long should I wait to get tested again for conclusive results?

Also, the lady who I had intercourse with will be getting tested this week. It has been roughly 1.5 months since her single unprotected encounter with that other individual. How accurate will her test be at this point?

Old 01-22-2013, 02:13 PM   #8
Facilitator
(male)

Only 3 months is conclusive but her 6 week test would be a very good indication of her status.

Old 01-22-2013, 02:29 PM   #9
(male)

jeridevan HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apollo123 View Post
Only 3 months is conclusive but her 6 week test would be a very good indication of her status.
Thanks Apollo

Old 01-23-2013, 07:49 PM   #10
(male)

jeridevan HB User

My ex had a rapid HIV antibody test done today at the clinic (results in 20 minutes or so). Negative result. It has been a little over 6 weeks since her exposure. How accurate is this result? I realize it is not conclusive, but just trying to possibly put my mind at rest until I can get tested at the 3 month mark for conclusive results.

Old 01-23-2013, 11:09 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(male)

joggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB User

6 weeks is around 99% accurate.

HIV is very rare in the heterosexual population- it doesn't travel like the other STDs (e.g. chlamydia, gonorrhea). It's very unlikely that your ex had it in the first place (and now the chances are effectively zero). Community-acquired viruses (colds, flu) are much more common and contagious and produce the same symptoms, and it's the season for these infections. You really have nothing to worry about.

Closed Thread