It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

HIV Prevention Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2013, 06:26 PM   #1
(female)

Cantstopworry HB User
Home hiv testing results good/bad??

Help! I'm so nervous I recently have been hearing and seeing all these ads in tv and the radio for hiv testing! I'm the type of person that sees stuff and freaks out and can't let it go! It's been two years since any type of possible risk exposure! I took one home test and the result was negative but like I stated earlier I couldn't accept t because of the "what if it was wrong" so I took another and the same result negative! I did exactly what the instructions said swab upper and lower gums wait twenty minutes! I'm still concerned that I have something to worry about! Like I said its been two years since a risk exposure! Can I take my two negatives to the bank? I'm just worried the antibodies weren't picked up in the swab during the test! I honestly keep talking myself into worrying! Can someone give me some closure, so I can let this go and move on!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-16-2013, 09:13 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

SOTM HB UserSOTM HB UserSOTM HB UserSOTM HB UserSOTM HB UserSOTM HB UserSOTM HB UserSOTM HB UserSOTM HB UserSOTM HB UserSOTM HB User
Re: Home hiv testing results good/bad??

If you followed the instructions, you can have confidence in the results. It is approved for home use, which accounts for some limited people- not you - administering the test.

If you still have doubts, go to a local clinic for a rapid test...its quick and painless, and I would expect the same result. You seem to be prone to anxiety, don't overthink it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-16-2013, 09:18 PM   #3
(female)

Cantstopworry HB User

I followed the instructions I thought them seemed pretty let's say "idiot proof" I took two tests and they were both negative! I was just concerned that I didn't swab my gums the right way to collect the oral fluid needed for the test or that my body wouldn't have been producing the antibodies needed to make the test accurate! I tend to over think things way too much! It's nice to have other people's input and like I had stated before it was two years ago in college! But you think that I just need to put it to rest?

Old 01-16-2013, 09:23 PM   #4
(female)

Cantstopworry HB User

I have also heard of false negatives but I read somewhere that they are caused by testing too soon which clearly I'm wayyyyyy past the window period! I guess my concern is with did I do it right! Is there a trick to it or a certain way because both times I just took the swab and ran it over top my gums once on the top once on the bottom I just was wondering if anyone had an oral swab done before and if it was a gentle swab or hard swab or doesn't it matter just touching the gums would allow antibodies (if present) to end up on the swab!

Closed Thread