It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

HIV Prevention Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2013, 12:22 AM   #16
Facilitator
(male)

Apollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB User
Re: Worried after 9 months exposure to HIV+ girlfriend

Hiya, well antibody test are 99.9% accurate, but they are prone to false positives for some people and thats why they use another test to confirm their status.

The cd4 count in a normal healthy person is from 600 - 1200. Its when it gets below 250 that the person is at risk of infection, so your partner is well within the normal range. Her viral load is somthing that would be intresting to see?

Indeed a WB test would give a better idea of whats going on and if possible a PCR RNA test to check her Viral load. If she takes a combination of these tests or just the WB test we can see better whats going on.

Like i said i dont want to give any false hope here, but in my opinion, she has not been correctly diagnosed.. fingers crossed for you both

"Being defeated is only a temporary condition; giving up is what makes it permanent".

Last edited by Apollo123; 01-27-2013 at 12:25 AM.

Old 01-28-2013, 11:54 PM   #17
(male)

hamupi HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apollo123 View Post
Hiya, well antibody test are 99.9% accurate, but they are prone to false positives for some people and thats why they use another test to confirm their status.

The cd4 count in a normal healthy person is from 600 - 1200. Its when it gets below 250 that the person is at risk of infection, so your partner is well within the normal range. Her viral load is somthing that would be intresting to see?

Indeed a WB test would give a better idea of whats going on and if possible a PCR RNA test to check her Viral load. If she takes a combination of these tests or just the WB test we can see better whats going on.

Like i said i dont want to give any false hope here, but in my opinion, she has not been correctly diagnosed.. fingers crossed for you both

Thanks Apollo123 for that information. Well i talked to her last night again and asked her if had done western blot as follow up to antibody testing. She expressed ignorance about what a WB is but stated that in the follow up test, they got a large quantity of her blood for testing as opposed to a rapid test where they just use a finger *****. She also indicated that her viral load was at 200 copies and CD4 count about 680.
She said her doctor definitely confirmed she was infected and she just did a liver function test recently which was fine and was also advised not to breastfeed after delivery. The doctor said to reduce chances of infecting the unborn, she must deliver via Cesarean Section.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-29-2013, 12:00 AM   #18
(male)

hamupi HB User

Her viral load is currently at 200 copies and CD4 count is now 634. As indicated, I am still testing as negative at 43 days post PEP. What are the chances I shall seroconvert in the remaining 47 days as I approach the 90 days post PEP mark. Will this test be deemed as conclusive? I have seen other forums say only six months after PEP can results be deemed as conclusive??

Old 01-29-2013, 12:32 AM   #19
Facilitator
(male)

Apollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB User

3 months after the last dose of pep is conclusive. If your partner has hiv, then you do need to wait the full 3 months.

"Being defeated is only a temporary condition; giving up is what makes it permanent".

Old 02-17-2013, 12:05 AM   #20
(male)

hamupi HB User

Quote:
3 months after the last dose of pep is conclusive. If your partner has hiv, then you do need to wait the full 3 months.
Yesterday i underwent a follow up test which was 94 days post exposure and 65 days after PEP. My counsellor said i can take this as conclusive and finally rest my mind. His assessment was that since i had been having unprotected sex since February 2012 with my confirmed HIV+ girlfriend (now we are on separation). He also said my test was essentially 13 weeks post exposure and just over 9 weeks after PEP.

Whats the advise from this forum?

Thanks!

Old 02-17-2013, 12:20 AM   #21
(male)

hamupi HB User

My the way, I again tested negative at 65 days after PEP

Last edited by hamupi; 02-17-2013 at 12:25 AM.

Old 02-17-2013, 02:02 AM   #22
Facilitator
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamupi View Post
Yesterday i underwent a follow up test which was 94 days post exposure and 65 days after PEP. My counsellor said i can take this as conclusive and finally rest my mind. His assessment was that since i had been having unprotected sex since February 2012 with my confirmed HIV+ girlfriend (now we are on separation). He also said my test was essentially 13 weeks post exposure and just over 9 weeks after PEP.

Whats the advise from this forum?

Thanks!
Hiya and thank you for the update. They are incorrcect, only a 3 month test is conclusive after PEP, although this test is certainly very good news and now its quiet unlikley that you do have HIV.

Old 03-11-2013, 09:35 AM   #23
(male)

hamupi HB User

Quote:
Hiya and thank you for the update. They are incorrcect, only a 3 month test is conclusive after PEP, although this test is certainly very good news and now its quiet unlikley that you do have HIV.
Dear friends, I have just had yet another test which is 87 days post PEP and 117 post exposure to HIV. The result was again negative. Can I take this as conclusive or I still have to continue testing? I have suffered enough mental torture! Please advise. Some one told me I could have the virus hiding in my body despite testing negative for the forth time in a roll since completing PEP 3 months ago

Old 03-11-2013, 11:11 AM   #24
Facilitator
(male)

What you were told is incorrect. Hiv cannot hiv from any tests.

so the good news, you dont have hiv anc you do not need to test again.

Best of luck.

Old 03-11-2013, 01:52 PM   #25
(male)

hamupi HB User

Thanks friends for all the encouragement over the past few months that I have undergoing HIV tests. I have learnt my lessons. Special thanks to Apollo123 for consistently been there to advice. I want to convince myself that I have no HIV following consistent negative tests with the latest 16 weeks post exposure. I want to lead a normal life once again. Stay well friends. I will do a final conclusive test more for routine purposes on 9th June 2013.

Closed Thread