It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

HIV Prevention Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-19-2013, 02:49 PM   #1
(male)

hamupi HB User
Worried after 9 months exposure to HIV+ girlfriend

Hi started dating this lady in December 2011. We started having protected / unprotected sex by February 2012. Prior to that, she had assured me that she had just tested negative (test allegedly was conducted by her then doctor boyfriend). She she declined going for a test with me saying it would be repetitive. Over the subsquent months, we continued having unprotected sex. I did an HIV test on August 2nd 2012. On November 15th 2012, the unimaginable happened. She got pregnant by me and when going for the check up, she was diagnosed HIV+. I immediately did an anti body test the next day and it came back negative. Because, we had the last sexual encounter on 14th November 2012, I also immediately put myself on PEP (combivir/ Truvada) starting from 16th November 2012. About 55 days post exposure and 25 days post 28-day PEP therapy, I did another test and it came back negative.
Now, what are my chances that I will remain negative.? I am really stressed up over the last two months and life seems meaningless to me. Please advice

Old 01-19-2013, 06:00 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

smiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB User
Re: Worried after 9 months exposure to HIV+ girlfriend

most likely you are HIV negative
you will need another test 90 days post pep
to be sure.
when you get infected, it normally does not take
that many tests to find it.
at least that is how it worked out for me.
good luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-19-2013, 11:33 PM   #3
(male)

hamupi HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitleer View Post
most likely you are HIV negative
you will need another test 90 days post pep
to be sure.
when you get infected, it normally does not take
that many tests to find it.
at least that is how it worked out for me.
good luck!

Thanks smitleer for the good luck wishes. This post PEP window period is really confusing me. I mean if someone got infected or PEP failed, does it mean the HIV antibody would be non detectable even by the minimal window period?

Old 01-20-2013, 12:03 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

joggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB User

It's not confusing at all. PEP slows viral replication, and the normal window period is 3 months, so you need to test at 3 months after your last dose of PEP to account for the effects of PEP.

If you want more accurate results, you can have 4th generation testing (DUO) which tests for both antigen and antibody. A DUO 1 month after PEP would be highly encouraging. You would still need to follow up three months after PEP with an antibody test.

Old 01-20-2013, 12:28 AM   #5
(male)

hamupi HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by joggen View Post
It's not confusing at all. PEP slows viral replication, and the normal window period is 3 months, so you need to test at 3 months after your last dose of PEP to account for the effects of PEP.

If you want more accurate results, you can have 4th generation testing (DUO) which tests for both antigen and antibody. A DUO 1 month after PEP would be highly encouraging. You would still need to follow up three months after PEP with an antibody test.
OK thanks Joggen,

I shall be going for a follow up antibody test on 8th February 2013. This will be 60 days post PEP (and 12 weeks post the last exposure). Then i will follow this up with another test on 8th March 2013 which should then be 12 weeks post (16 weeks post the last exposure).
In the meantime, the wait is really eating me up. This is the worst crisis of my life. Unfortunately, I somehow now detest the lady because she used to refuse getting tested for HIV even after I led by example and did a test on August 2nd, 2012 which came back negative - six months after our first unprotected sexual encounter. What is even more annoying is that she even conceived and that is when she had no choice but to get tested which revealed her HIV positive status. Had it not been for the pregnancy, we would have most likely continued having unprotected sex and thereby subjecting myself to more exposures. We used to rely on natural birth control bills but I do not know how she even ended up pregnant. Now I feel that i should cut off the relationship but i do not want to sound heartless. When I visit her to check on her, she always demands for sex - without even considering the stress am going through myself (I know her stress is even greater but she seems to have accepted her situation)

Old 01-20-2013, 12:42 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

joggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB User

The average frequency of transmission is around 1 in 2000 exposures (female to male, vaginal). Many couples go for years without the virus being transmitted. You've already cleared your exposures up to August from your test in November, so overall I would say that the odds are in your favor.

Old 01-20-2013, 12:56 AM   #7
(male)

hamupi HB User

Ok. So the crucial period now is the period between August 2012 and the present since my November 2012 negative test result was only valid for the prior three months. I do understand the latest negative test I obtained on 8th January 2013 could be a false negative because of PEP. So far, the only HIV symptoms I have are a persistent dry cough and a funny feeling on my throat (not really sore through but some discomfort like there is an object just stuck up there). I wish I could do a duo test but where I am, we just have antibody tests. The wait is killing me slowly.

Old 01-26-2013, 03:57 AM   #8
(male)

hamupi HB User

Today i went for another Anti body HIV test which is 43 days post PEP and 72 days post exposure. The result came out negative and the counselor told me I should not worry any more as the result is as good as conclusive. Can i take this as conclusive and stop worrying - even as i await the three months post PEP test. What are the chances that the result will change in 6 weeks (42 days).

Thanks

Last edited by hamupi; 01-26-2013 at 04:36 AM.

Old 01-26-2013, 04:21 AM   #9
Facilitator
(male)

Apollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB User

They are incorrect. As joggen has said, only at 3 months can you be concidered conclusive and their are no short cuts to this. A test at 6 weeks would be a fair indication of your status, but again only the 3 months test counts.

"Being defeated is only a temporary condition; giving up is what makes it permanent".

Old 01-26-2013, 04:41 AM   #10
(male)

hamupi HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apollo123 View Post
They are incorrect. As joggen has said, only at 3 months can you be concidered conclusive and their are no short cuts to this. A test at 6 weeks would be a fair indication of your status, but again only the 3 months test counts.
Ok, thanks Apollo123. I must say this is so agonising. However, i have gained a bit of strength after today's negative test. Now has any one of you seen a negative test at 6 weeks post PEP (or 72 days post exposure) change to positive at 12 weeks?
The counsellor also told me that it is possible that i could have the virus and even infected my girlfriend with confirmed status of HIV+. She said the virus can stay hidden and I may never test HIV+ due to my blood group and that i could continue infecting my sexual partners. She said there is ongoing research on this subject. Is that true? I live i Africa.

Old 01-26-2013, 06:28 AM   #11
Facilitator
(male)

Apollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB User

[QUOTE=hamupi;5123274]Ok, thanks Apollo123. I must say this is so agonising. However, i have gained a bit of strength after today's negative test. Now has any one of you seen a negative test at 6 weeks post PEP (or 72 days post exposure) change to positive at 12 weeks?
The counsellor also told me that it is possible that i could have the virus and even infected my girlfriend with confirmed status of HIV+. She said the virus can stay hidden and I may never test HIV+ due to my blood group and that i could continue infecting my sexual partners. She said there is ongoing research on this subject. Is that true? I live i Africa.[ /QUOTE]

This counsellor is incorrect. Hiv cannot hiv in your body. Its a very agressive virus and if you have hiv it will be found by 3months and in nearly all cases 6 weeks. So a test at 6 weeks is a really good indication. Also, if you had hiv and gave it to your partner you would tested positive. Blimey buds, no wonder your having a hard time with that idiot giving you advice.

Its not uncommon to have one partner stay negative while the other has hiv. Hiv is harder to pass onto males than females.

I think its unlikey you would have hiv from your last exposure taking in mind you have sex before and tested negative. It is just a waiting game buds.

As for you partner. How many tests and what tests did she take.

"Being defeated is only a temporary condition; giving up is what makes it permanent".

Old 01-26-2013, 01:45 PM   #12
(male)

hamupi HB User

She tested twice. She first tested on 8th November 2012 and received the results o 15th November. The next day (16th November 2012), we went together for a test and hers was again confirmed as positive. As indicated in the initial thread, we had been having unprotected sex since February 2012. The last time was on 14th November 2012.
Apparently, she told me that the last definite time she had a test was two years early tho she had assured me at the beginning that she was HIV free - claiming that her previous ex doctor boyfriend had done routine medical tests o her (some time in February 2012) and that all was fine. I now realise she must have lied. Her December 2012 CD4 count was at around 680

Old 01-26-2013, 01:49 PM   #13
(male)

hamupi HB User

She has tested twice using standard antibody tests. The first was on 8th November 2012 and the result was confirmed on 16th November 2012

Old 01-26-2013, 02:32 PM   #14
Facilitator
(male)

Well she can only be confirmed via a westernblot test after a positive antibody test. if she has not had a wb test then she cannot be confirmed as hiv positive. you will see many threads on here about false positive antibody test, which happen due to many thinks including being pregnant.

I dont want give you any false hope here, but i urge you to look at getting her tested with a wb.

Old 01-26-2013, 10:58 PM   #15
(male)

hamupi HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apollo123 View Post
Well she can only be confirmed via a westernblot test after a positive antibody test. if she has not had a wb test then she cannot be confirmed as hiv positive. you will see many threads on here about false positive antibody test, which happen due to many thinks including being pregnant.

I dont want give you any false hope here, but i urge you to look at getting her tested with a wb.
Thanks Apollo for the post. I must admit i have never heard of a second anti body test still not confirmed as conclusive. I thought antibody tests are close to 99.8% accurate. From the last time she tested, her CD4 count was about 680. I assume that a normal CD4 is well above 1000. ? In any case, I shall ask her to do a western blot this week to clear the air.

Last edited by hamupi; 01-26-2013 at 10:59 PM.

Closed Thread