It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

HIV Prevention Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2013, 04:06 AM   #1
(male)

Stupidact HB User
worried at 10 weeks post exposure

Dear Experts,

Any form of advice will be much appreciated.

I am 28 year old male from malaysia. Relatively healthy, excersise maybe 1-2 times a week, but a heavy drinker and smoker. I have been freaking out for the past few weeks. Here is my story.

About 10 weeks ago, I had unprotected sex (i usually always wear condom, just this one time I didnt). 5 days later I got very worried and went for a full STD test. I was only tested positive for gonorrhea, which I then took antibioitcs for. 7 week on, I started getting a very bad cough (no other symptoms), extreme coughing at night till I cant really sleep well. This was when I started worrying about HIV.

8 weeks from the incident, I took a blood test for HIV, which came back negative. I dont know what generation or method of testing the hospital did, but it is quite a reputable hospital, so I am hoping they have up to date testing methods. After this test I felt relieve and did not think much about HIV anymore.

At the end of 8th week, when I was driving one day, I felt a sudden lost of energy, became very very tired. I was perfectly fine before that. My coughing persisted for another 2 weeks. I am finally feeling a bit better now.

My questions are,

1) Is it possible that due to my heavy drinking and smoking lifestyle (which i assume weakened my immune system), causing late seroconversion?

2) The sudden lost of energy at the end of week 8, is it possible that it is late ARS?

3) I know the window period is 12 weeks, but I've read many experts claiming that 8 weeks is more or less conclusive. How confident should I be of my 8 week result? Considering that malaysia is a developing country and may not neccesarily use the latest testing methods. I plan to take another test at the 3 month mark, what do you think are the chances it will change?

Any advise or help will be much appreciated!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-23-2013, 04:08 AM   #2
(male)

Stupidact HB User
Re: worried at 10 weeks post exposure

Sorry I forgot to mention that the lady was a few years younger, HIV status unknown

Old 01-23-2013, 02:58 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

smiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB User

put your focus towards something other then HIV.
blood tests are pretty standard and i would think
that the test that you took, is the same antibody blood test used around the world.
the test you took is very accurate at the time frame you took it at.

Old 01-23-2013, 08:36 PM   #4
(male)

Stupidact HB User

thanks smiteler for your reply.

So you think there is no chance that seroconversion can happen after the 8th week?

I still feel fatigue for the past few weeks, im getting up late for work almost everyday now.. i just hope its my stress and anxiety causing this..

I just called the hospital, apparently it uses 2nd generation ELISA/ECLIA test??
The guy told me it detects for p24 antigen and antibody, he said the waiting time is 4 hrs (which I did during the 8th week).

But I thought the latest test only has a 20 min waiting time??
Does anyone think I should be suspicious of the test I did?

Old 01-23-2013, 10:02 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

joggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB User

There is no realistic chance that your result will change- the generation doesn't matter. Anxiety is making you come up with these questions. Expect another negative.

Old 01-23-2013, 10:59 PM   #6
(male)

Stupidact HB User

thanks joggen, past 3 weeks has probably been the longest 3 weeks of my life, just 2 more weeks to the 3 month mark...

you are right, its the anxiety thats clouding my mind... as I was saying before, the worry I have now is whether malaysia really have up to date testing methods, our medical science is no where close to the advancements of the US. i hear even in good hospitals, they use 10 yr old techniques to treat cancer patients.. i just hope they dont do the same of HIV testing equipments..

Old 01-24-2013, 07:06 PM   #7
Veteran
(male)

guyfromnorth HB Userguyfromnorth HB Userguyfromnorth HB Userguyfromnorth HB Userguyfromnorth HB Userguyfromnorth HB Userguyfromnorth HB Userguyfromnorth HB Userguyfromnorth HB Userguyfromnorth HB Userguyfromnorth HB User

Hiya,

Mate! trust the experts here.
They have all been in the stage in which you are. We are all not doctors here but we have been worried buds as you are being one now.

Regarding, standards of testing, stop doubting them as HIV testing is standard in every part of the world. your test has been as accurate as negative.
There is nothing called LATE sero conversion. The only cases of the late sero are either you on Anti immuno drugs, Cancer patient and on chemo or ID user. so if you don't fall under any of the above categories expect your final test to be negative.

so just enjoy today rather than regretting of what you will miss worrying over tomorrow.

Just as a piece of advice for future never ever mix Drinks with 2 minutes of sex as it can illusion your vision to the reality.

Stay Safe!

Old 01-24-2013, 07:55 PM   #8
(male)

Stupidact HB User

guyfromnorth, thanks for your advice, I have already learnt my lesson..

I am none of the above you mentioned that could cause late seroconversion, however nurse injected antibiotics using IV for my gonorrhea after the incident. I hope this is not classified under 'ID user'?? I hope antibiotics does not slow seroconversion?? I know this is a stupid question, but I just need to make sure..

Old 01-24-2013, 07:59 PM   #9
Veteran
(male)

guyfromnorth HB Userguyfromnorth HB Userguyfromnorth HB Userguyfromnorth HB Userguyfromnorth HB Userguyfromnorth HB Userguyfromnorth HB Userguyfromnorth HB Userguyfromnorth HB Userguyfromnorth HB Userguyfromnorth HB User

The single Answer to all above is NO.
you should be ok buddy!

Old 01-24-2013, 08:28 PM   #10
(male)

Stupidact HB User

just one last question, so why does IV drug use delay seroconversion?
Is it because of the drugs themselves? or simply something is injected into your bloodstream?

I promise i wont ask stupid questions anymore after this!

Old 01-24-2013, 08:30 PM   #11
Veteran
(male)

I am not a medical professional for this question mate but what i think is the strength of those drugs make their immune system weak to the extent that it stops fighting even against common illnesses at a stage. Again don't go on your imaginative merry go round now to put two and two together . you should be fine

Old 01-24-2013, 08:34 PM   #12
Veteran
(male)

Rather put it this way, taking drugs for a long time may suppress your immune system which will reduce the ability of the body to create sufficient antibodies to be detected in tests by 3 months..
But testing now a days have advanced so much that even that scenario stays void.
In your case, why you even thinking about these things buddy?

Closed Thread